Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Another one down

Today the crackshaft on the second engine broke in the same place the first one did. It must be the weak link. I had ordered a crank for the first engine but never fixed it, so put it in the new one and now ready to fly. I read where some guys had replaced the engines in their Pegasus 18 helicopters with an OS engine. Going to try and find out what they used. The Pegasus is a lot bigger than the Walkera, and the OS was said to really improve it. May work for us.
jimmymc2286 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats not good to hear. did it break while you were starting again? and how rich are you running the engine?

mine didn't show up this week, so hopefully monday. let me know how you go with sourcing other engines, keen to find something better if these are going to keep doing crankshafts,
luffy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

thats bad news, what was the crank worth with postage? the standard engine seems to be around $100 to replace. not having much luck finding other nitro heli engines this small

did ur crank break during start up again? and how many tanks through that engine before failure?

Last edited by luffy; 04-28-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Luffy, I bought the engine used out of a HM#83, was told it only had a couple of tanks through it. It broke on start just as the first one. It was runing just a little on the rich side. Not to the 4 cycle but not on peek. The crankshaft was just under 20 shipped. Will have to look up where I found it.
I got the heli back together and flew it this morning. I can not get over how good this thing flies. One thing for sure Walkera has designed a great 500 size helicopter. If we can get the engine problem sorted out fantastic. Both of mine had the clutch assy. locked down on the front bearing and the lock nut also locked down putting a lot of stresses in the crank. This one I finger tightened down and then a light anount on the lock nut. Used locktite on the assy. and the nut. If it brakes now it is the crank not up to the job,
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

wish you the best of luck mate. I think i'll re assemble my clutch as you have done using loctite and not using as much force on the nuts. Hopefully relieve some stress off the crank and get some decent fly time
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

so my v18g01 finally arrived, put 2 tanks through it at idle while i'm waiting for the battery pack to charge. 2nd start and i dropped the starter adapter into the fan and broke half the fins. I really need some settings for my devo 8 as this is my first nitro heli and the manual doesn't have any basic settings. Its to dark to try get it off the ground today so hopefully get a go in the morning.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

tried to start this thing this morning and the engine wont turn over. Took the glow plug out and tried again and its still locked up didn't even get to put it in the air
Old 05-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

just pulled the engine apart and suprise suprise the crank is broken
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default That sucks

I know how disappointing that is. Just hope you have better luck getting a replacement from Walkera. Get will the dealer and see what they will do. If they wont fix it I bought my crank from Heli-Heli.com.
I put several tanks through mine with the new crank and so far so good. This thing is a fun little heli and I hope the new crank installed with a little care fixes the problem. If not I have been looking for a replacement. The one I am going to try is a K&B .18 auto engine from mecoa.com. It looks like a good choice. They are well known for there customer support. And it looks like it runs about the same RPMs as the WK.
Keep us up to date on your progress. and don't give up.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

jimmy i checked out the k&b .18 and it looks to be a decent little engine. Its actually cheaper then the stock walkera one. Do you think it will drop straight in? If so i think i'll buy it and give it a run
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I don't know if it is a drop in replacement or not. but I think it can be made to fit. Most of the.18 auto engines are made to fit the 1/8 size cars and they all use the same bolt pattern and clutch. That makes me think it will work. If I brake another crank I'm going to try one.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

the trex500 nitro conversion used OS 37 Engine Assembly maybe you guys could try that.
pmerritt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That is a lot bigger than I want to use. This heli is light and that would be way over powered. I have put at least a dozen fight on the new crank and so far so good. I think the .18 has enough power to do the sport flying that I am capable of.
Thanks for the input you never know what a guy might do though.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was just wondering if you guys had any updates on the engine problems?
TX_Winds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello all.
Which blades can be mounted on this heli (other than stock walkera ones)?
430 mm blades can fit?
What is the lenght of the tail blades?
Walkera stock swash servos are they all digital or analog?
And finally have you found a replacement for the engine?

Thank you all
eriskio is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 11:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Winds View Post
I was just wondering if you guys had any updates on the engine problems?
Well the cranks are still breaking,At least 4 people that i fly with have had this to happen.As for Walkera on there part have never replied to them on any email they have sent them.So i would guess they dont care.But my friends asked me to help them along with my self to find something we could do to fix the problem.So here is what i did to mine and theirs to get them and me back to a level of flying we love to enjoy.

Ther is not a direct replacement i could find for the motor.but here is some that are very close with alittle work and time.

I do have a Hm-V18GO1 i have 2 of them I bought one new the other one i bought from a very pissed off guy after the crank broke and it never got off the ground.They just fly great,it is just as we all now know they have a crank problem and they run like crap.Out of 6 of these Helis that i have had my hands on only one of them that the motor would idle and spool up to fly not to mention even start without fooling with it till we got mad and didnt want to fool with it anymore.ya just wanted to kick it across the field

Here is a Motor List that i have tried with the motors i had in my possession.I did look at others like Fox 25,K&B 21,25 but they would take a whole lot of fiting to get them to work.The K&B .21 will fit just fine but the clutch center hole would need to be drilled out to the point that i dont think it would hold and fail.So to use it a clutch would have to be found to fit and work.

K&B .18 BB Is the closest match.Very little needed to do.About 2 hours to replace.A
Downside to some maybe the K&B .18 has a air bleed carb,But i do say this i have had no problem with it at all,once ya get it dailed in.I have about 15 or 16 flights on it and it has not gave me any trouble idling or on topend.Starts easy not like Walkera crap i spent 1 hour just to get it to start.Oh by the way i threw the Walkera junk in the garbage as soon as i got the last bolt out.But not before i took the carb off,Iam trying to fit the carb on one of my friends K&B.He dont care that it runs great,he just hates a airbleed carb. The Cost, I bought 5 K&Bs .18 for $71.00 a piece.A bigger head with fins can be bought for $9.49 $5.95 S&H for the K&B .18 i bought one but have not got around to change it yet.It doesnt run hot i have used the temp gun on it to check it.But when i dont have anything to do i will change it.Its just to great of a flying heli to leave it setting long enough to change it out.. the temps were around 235,239,degs its well within the motors limit of 350 degs..
I had an old one on the self to try.But my friends got me a new one for helping them.So i put my old one back on my shelf to use on plane later on

2. Fox .15 BB Cost is about $75.00..It has a twin needle carb.I did try and see if it would fit,it also would be a easy fix like the K&B.

I had one on a plane to try.

3. ASP .15 BB Cost is $55.00..It has a twin needle carb to.Now i did look and try to see if it would work,It would need bigger mounts because the holes would be to close to the edge of the stock mounts to trust to hold it.The clutch center hole would have to be drilled just alittle bigger not enough to hurt anything,No biggy it would be easy to do.

Hope this helps you guys.I and my fellow flyers are very happy with this upgrade.If ya got question just ask.I will answer as i fast as i can.
Old Warbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am still using the Walkera engine. The only problem was the crank. Over the weekend I have a new problem. Somewhere I have a electric problem. There is a short somewhere that runs the battery down very fast. If Walkera would step up and fix the engine problem this would be their best heli. Everyone that has flown mine loves it. As for the blades 430s would work. I am runing 425s.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Walkera 4004 Digital tail servo

I have 2 of these,i took the second Hm-V18G01 i have on the road with me for some out of town business work,Just so i can have a little fun when i got done with my business meetings.And about have way thru the flight the tail servo went full right and stuck,i got it on the ground but it got my main blades and cracked the skids.The servo is free moving but it dont move at all with the stick or when ya turn it on.I cant find any info on the Walkera 4004 Digital tail servo specs to find a better replacement because i will not give 83.00 bucks for a servo that only lasted 4 flights before it failed.So any info would help because iam away from home for 6 more days.My cell dont get good service where iam at.it keeps kicking me off while iam searching the net.I have also noticed that several venders have pulled ther listings of the HM-V18G01 from ther sites,Helidirect and a couple more.

PS I have now checked the receiver with another servo it was fine.The problem was two of the wires soldered in the servo came off in flight due to very poor soldering,so i pulled the other servos apart and one other had so little solder on it.It was loose to the touch.Guys they s are the first walkera heli products i have bought,the helis fly really great.With one crank broke on one,and the motor replaced with a K&B .18 both of the mufflers have came aparton both of the helis,now a servo has failed from crappy soldering.I will never buy anything from Walkera ever again.

Last edited by Old Warbird; 09-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: adding to it
Old Warbird is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

walkera is crap.....but they got me goin into this hobby so i still love them at heart......the v200d01 was the best walkera i ever bought

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been flying mine alot. Still going. Walkera never got back with me on my problems with the engine crankshafts. Poor customer service. No product support. The two crank failures I had were both caused from over tightening of the nut holding the clutch on. They torqued them down so much they cracked the crank at the undercut at the bottom of the threads. I ordered a new crank and the engine has ran great sense, I love the 500 nitro, but will never buy another Walkera again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in