Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Blade CP problems with throttle > 75%.

Ok, so I have had my Blade CP for a while now and although I am not an "expert" pilot (I don't invert), I don't dig dirt any more either

But, I have noticed a decrease in performance recently. It operates with no problem to about 75% throttle (trim around 30-40%). If I increase the throttle beyond 75%, my head RPM notably decreases and can't even maintain a hover. At this point, the green/red LED on the 4 in 1 unit is solid red (not flickering red/green which it used to do).

My setup:
plastic flat bottom blades, with a 3 cell Li-po, 370 main motor with 8T gear and bell-hiller mixing.
Everything else is CP stock (not CP pro) (4in1, tail, head, etc).

I am charging my Li-po with an e-station intelligent charger and it indicates that the battery is discharging reasonably well (based on how much juice was put back into the battery on each charge).

If I had to guess, I would say the ESC in the 4in1 isn't allowing the same current flow that it used to. Has anyone experienced this? If this is the case, should I replace the 4in1 with another 4in1 or just supplement the existing one with an upgraded ESC to take the main motor load instead of the built in ESC... any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

/Rob
kryten_007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

More likely you battery performance has dropped off or the motor is getting tired. At 75% throttle it cant maintain RPM with that much pitch. Even when mine was new there was noticable "bog" in upper pitch ranges. Borrow a known good battery from a buddy and try it and see if it still does it, If it does its most likely the motor.

Good luck.
ev0l is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

how many flights are on the main motor ?

ask cuz all the years i was into off road rc racing, if i was using a brushed motor. the brushes and comm wear out fairly quickly.. with the on or off raod rc racing, you either go brushless and forgot about it, or you stay brushed and get a comm lathe and a good amount of brushes...what you describe sounds exactly like the brushes and comm are in pretty bad shape. it can get bad enough to where the motor wont work.. i was shocked when my t4's brushed motor went out. guy at the lhs used his comm lathe and i got some new brushess. the motor was as good as new.

now since you have the brushed main. id say do away witht he 4n1, get the brushless setup and pick up a small brushed esc like castle creations pixie 20p and put it on the tail...

your cp will be completely different. the tail esc will get rid of pretty much any drift.. you might have to give the rudder trim a click at some point during a pack. but that should be the only retrimming of the rudder you have to do ..
txflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

pretty sure its a sealed can motor, wont be able to pull the arm to turn it. Just pick up a new one if thats the case, I think they are like 10 or 11 bucks.
ev0l is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Try decreasing the pitch on the blades, I had the same thing happen on my Blade CP, the head speed would slow down a lot when i gave to more power because my pitch on the blades was too high at full power. Just try turning down the links a turn or two and see if there is a difference, it worked for me..
Bravo99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in