Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam > BEAM E6

BEAM E6 BEAM E6 Factory Support Forum

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasmusDK View Post
And the big plus = Much lower amp draw, = better for the packs.
That's a bit of a fallacy (actually I'm being kind, it's a total fallacy).
Yes, with 12s (for the same power) amps are halved but (for the same battery weight) individual battery mAh is also halved. So if we assume identical power and identical battery weight in both cases then the stress that the battery experiences and the required battery C rate is identical.

The ESC is the only place where you can get away with a lower rating, but there again it has to be HV.

I've got to say that to my eye that the 12s 'piggyback' battery installation doesn't look very well thought out at all. It simply looks like a 6s design that someone has come along and velcro'ed an extra pack on top of. Is the tray and canopy not wide enough to fit them side by side? I guess as long as it works then fair enough, but it's not pretty.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

PS... is the heli finished yet? I'm impatient i want to see the maiden video
Old 01-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Luckily most battery today are high c rated, and the smaller sizes (2700-3000 which I use) are still more affordable than a 6s5000.
Therefore they won't be stressed.

Another benefit is they batterys can be used in my 500 class helis.

My two 6s 3000 50c batterys are maybe a bit heavier than a single 6s 5000mah but they won't be under the same load, and I get longer flight time.

How does a 'well thought out' battery installation looks in your world?

No the canopy is not wide enough to fit side by side.
But it works awesome this way.

- it's not how it looks, it how it perform ;-)
And as written above, you can't tell when it flies with canopy on.

Some people enjoy a good flying heli, some enjoy a good looking heli.
I prefer the first, and fly more than I look at it.

75% on this forum does the last, and discuss never ending, stupid things. Hehe ;-)
RasmusDK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a personal thing i guess. I'm an engineer, i like to see something that looks 'engineered'. The piggyback arrangement just looks like an afterthought to me, like a 6s design that someones strapped an extra battery to.

But you are right, it's how it flies that's most important, I wont argue with you on that point. You cant see it once you put the canopy on anyway!
Old 01-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Is the tray and canopy not wide enough to fit them side by side? I guess as long as it works then fair enough, but it's not pretty.
One of the Faifa's 'party tricks' is that it can actually accomodate two 2650mah packs on the upper battery mount side by side. It doesn't look like it would fit but it does (and the C of G is good). And, at low headspeeds it flies quite well on those packs, which I find almost crazy but I love it.

-off topic from the Beam I know-
HD Cell 750, RJX Vector, TDR, TDSF, Kasama Dune and Faifa, Minicopter Triabolo 700, Beam Avantgarde, JR E8 leggero, Suzi Laos, Shape 9, Shape S8, Rave 450, TRex 500, Raptor E700, Compass Warp, Steam 700, Spirit, Spartan, Jeti.
trillian is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 03:45 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

TheKingPhisher,
Come on, lets see this thing finished and flying. Dont keep us hanging, it's been nearly three months!
Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still no progress?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hobbywing 80A HV V3 isn't out yet...
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2015, 04:09 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Hobbywing 80A HV V3 isn't out yet...
The 100 HV V3 would work fine in the Beam and it's available now: http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=331

Is there even going to be an 80A if they already have a 100A ESC and given that the 100HV is already aimed squarely at the 550-600 heli class? If the LV is anything to go my there wont because in the LV range it goes from 50A straight to 100A.

Anyway, regardless of if there is or isn't going to be an 80HV there are plenty of other options available right now.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:18 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your excuse isn't valid anymore: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/hobbywing-...sc-p-1699.html

get building!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

My excuse is 100% valid...

https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=15

And yes there will be a 80A HV V3...as the post above from HW states it's only a firmware difference. The hardware is already done...they just need to finish the helicopter version of the firmware. I'm really in no hurry. I'll probably start the Vector before the Beam is RTF.

Thing is right now I'm focusing on my TBS Discovery build. The carbon fiber props are arriving tomorrow along with the SAB HPS3 head/tail...

BTW I just ordered a Radikal E640 kit...
Old 04-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
My excuse is 100% valid...
Only if you accept that there are no other ESC's that you could use.....
Old 04-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Only if you accept that there are no other ESC's that you could use.....
I already own ESCs that I could use just like I own servos but each one is specifically chosen for each kit. For example my red/silver KST 815/805 HV brushless servos are going in the Beam to match the red/silver of the kit.

I just received my new Radikal E640 kit yesterday and for that one I'm going to be using my 90A ZTW because it's a larger ESC and need more room. That kit was a no brainer at only $250... Not sure what motor to put in that one yet.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I already own ESCs that I could use ....
Then there is no reason not to get here in the air. The joy of helis isn't in having a kit on the shelf, or even building.. It's flying!

Put the ZTW in the Beam, fly it, have fun. Then when/if the Hobbywing is released swap it out if you feel the need. I know for a fact that you have a few helis in the build queue before you get to the E640 anyway.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Actually I'm thinking of building the E640 next. I have everything for it...servos, motor, ESC, blades. I just updated the Spirit to the latest firmware and will be testing it on my little 250 heli before putting it on the Radikal.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:28 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Actually I'm thinking of building the E640 next. I have everything for it...servos, motor, ESC, blades. I just updated the Spirit to the latest firmware and will be testing it on my little 250 heli before putting it on the Radikal.
My advice... build and fly one heli before starting the other. Otherwise you and up with a bunch of half built helis and nothing to fly.

Personally once I get one started i just want to see it built and flying, I cant understand how you could procrastinate over a build for over 6 months, then give up and move onto something else? Each to his own i guess.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

So TheKingPhisher, almost at the one year anniversary of the start of the build... Have you got it finished yet?.. Or ANY heli come to that?

The ESC and colour matched components excuses have worn a bit thin.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in