Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Paging Dr. Mcallister, Pops up on take off

When I spool up and RPM's get rolling, the heli pops up instead of a smooth take off. I was testing in my basement and almost hit the ceiling. I'm running a 450 with SK720, CC Ice 50, and Scorpion 2221-8 motor.

Also, right before it takes off, it looks like it's tilting to one side.

What should I be adjusting? Thanks.
snowball75 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like an issue with your pitch curve.

The tilting could could be caused by vibrations. Have you checked the playback/vibration log?
mhoebrec is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'd suggest not doing test flights indoors. Too much potential for things to go wrong.

I can understand tying it down to check for spool-up, checking RPM's, etc. But to actually fly, you really should give yourself the safety margin of an open sky and broad space.

Because when testing something like this, you need to be prepared for a runaway. Recovery takes time and, therefore space.

Luckily you have very fast reactions!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

=] yes we need to look at the pitch curve and how you achieved it. what are the values for the 60/60/45 swash mix & what head conversion are you using? also, have you set the stick scaling in the utility tab?

the aim is 12 deg +/- when setting up, for normal mode reduce the Tx end points to give less pitch range for hovering.

georgi UK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also check linkages are smooth and free... Sticky links often cause jumpy collective.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcallister View Post
=] yes we need to look at the pitch curve and how you achieved it. what are the values for the 60/60/45 swash mix & what head conversion are you using? also, have you set the stick scaling in the utility tab?

the aim is 12 deg +/- when setting up, for normal mode reduce the Tx end points to give less pitch range for hovering.
I'm sure you'll agree, once you've re-read your post, all CCPM mixing that affects the pitch, elevator and aileron travel should be done in the Skookum.

Else, the Skookum could cause binding during flight and eventually cause a servo to burnout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball75 View Post
When I spool up and RPM's get rolling, the heli pops up instead of a smooth take off. I was testing in my basement and almost hit the ceiling. I'm running a 450 with SK720, CC Ice 50, and Scorpion 2221-8 motor.

Also, right before it takes off, it looks like it's tilting to one side.

What should I be adjusting? Thanks.
In response to your problem, on the 'swashplate' tab, you should adjust your 'collective pitch' to obtain 12+/12- with 100+/100- travel in both your transmitter and Skookum.

Once, you have completed the above, use a normal pitch curve of 40-45-50-70-90 for soft landing and responsive collective management.

Also, I recommend 110 deg/sec for both elevator and aileron for stable scale like hovering and flying.

Prior to enabling self-levelling to 'cs+inverted' or 'alway-on', ensure you vibration levels are at least 2 or below.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

=] hi Rob, yes I agree!!

maybe = for normal mode reduce the Tx pitch curve end points to give less overall pitch

is a better way to put it!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, pitch curve adjustment necessary...
And don't mess around with the cyclic stick at all while your heli is spinning on the ground. The SK does not like that and it could be the reason behind the tilt you saw on lift off.. Just keep the stick at center and get the heli up fairly fastby adding collective.
PS...I learned the hard way with a Walkera 450, never to spool up in the house...even for a test. Trust me, not good!
nycheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycheli View Post
PS...I learned the hard way with a Walkera 450, never to spool up in the house...even for a test. Trust me, not good!
Omg! And here I have spooled up my 450s over the years and hover hopped them dozens of times inside!

Not to mention rotating test stand pulls. Like the one I am about to do for my vibe test.
Yes, I know I am crazy.

The rules will obviously change for me though when getting up into larger helis such as a 600. With my luck I would briefly have a perfect real life picture of a 600 imbedded in my flatscreen instead of the Phoenix version.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

=] don't even think about a 600 indoors with blades on!!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I ever tried that my girlfreind would kill me if I was still alive.

I had hell convincing her the test flights were were safe with no blades.

Even a 255 size is deadly, I was in the emergency room last year when the blade grip ejected
on my gaui 255(rigid head, no spindle, running new rev, larger bolt in grip)
it sliced my forearm bad, 12 staples and 6 stitches later, I know helis are dangerous
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 06:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been hit with my 450 while 'testing' in my living room; have permanent scars to show for it. But have also spooled up my 600 to running speed too, no take-off though.

Back to Snowball's question ... has it been resolved? I used to have the same problem with my 5-blade 450, from no lift it would shoot 15ft into the air. Someone advised me to tighten up all the blade grips to the hub and also tighten the blades to the grip, and the popping disappeared. I guess the slight flex (i.e. SLOP) in the mechanics was amplified when it was negative pitch, but when it reached the tipping point, the blades suddenly went positive by the amont of slop.
kennethw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in