Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gearing and Throttle %

With my current gearing setup is it ok that I'm running around 60% throttle on IU1?
I have a lot of power and no bogging using the governor, so is there any reason that running at that throttle could cause problems?
rebeltrousers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what motor KV, what battery? what main gear teeth number pinion number ? somethign to bare in mind is that a motor runs most efficiently at full load.. not that you want to run it that high its just the closer you run it to that the better efficiency you get..running it too low will make it very hot as you compensate for head spead with pithc..always better to increase headspeed and reduce pitch ..also what size is your heli ,blade length etc etc ...all that info reflects what you should do with your throttle use...
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorry.
KDS innova 550
KDE 600XF-1175 Motor
Gens Ace 5000MAH 50C
Castle Creations 100A
17T pinion
150 tooth main gear

Motor comes down warm, not hot. What you said about efficiency makes sense, but I have to balance that with giving the governor enough overhead too right? Probably not running at it's most efficient now right?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just so happens I have exactly this kit along with teh KDS innova 600 and 700 kits...i was pretty disappointed with teh stock ESC motoro combo ...the motors are really poor and get hot even wiuth teh timing right down.. teh ESC was ok temp wise buet performance was dismal.!

Ok as for governor...of you do select head speeds all you need to do is make sure you have about 15% overhead for teh governor to work really well.
With that motor and gear combo you are lookign at a head speed of 2660 odd and i would do a max of 2100 for hard 3d on a heli that side although you can up it a little bit ..soem may argue..i am guessing you are not a hard core stick banger...

Set your gov for fixed rpm..gear ratio will be 8.82 with the combintation the put in your desired head speeds for idle ups... somethign like 1750 then 1900 and 2150 is about right for my style of flying ..IMO which means max throttle is around 80 Percent on your transmitter..theres a few diff wasy to set this up..bit more info is how you want to fly, do you use non idle up..i only ever go out of throttle hold straight into idel up .

Also your governor gain on a heli that size you can leave at recommeded settings..but make sure your time is not too high..put that on about 2 for a motor that size... although stck timing will be ok..the lower you go the speed drops a little but everything will run cooler.... see how you go ...and that bettery is huge !! how heavy is it ? i wouldn't have gone more than a 5000 40 c ... 4200 40c at lowest bu tnot much bigger , weight o f battery has a big impact on load of the motor..whatdows your data logger tell you about max current etc ... ? too many variable sto answer you directly
Madryan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey thanks for the reply!

The battery isn't that heavy, my heli is about the same/lighter than the other handful of people I know with the same model. I think the problem with the stock motor/esc was that they were a bit hit/miss. Mine seemed pretty powerful and was only ever warm and had lots of power. I only replaced because I wanted to upgrade and didn't like having the capacitors hanging down over the battery.

Castle software had my idle 1 as 2400, idle 2 as 2500 and my normal was around 1900 or something. At 1900 the heli was hardly spooled-up compared to IU1 and IU2 and had very very little power.

I checked the graphs and the max speed it got up to in IU2 (probably overspending) was 2600.....a bit too much I think.

I've now watered it down to 2100, 2300, 2400 but the throttle seems to be pretty low to get this on the governor so I think I'll go down a tooth on the pinion and then see if it'll have enough overhead for these values.

P.S. I usually take off in normal, then fly in IU1. I'm just a sport flyer but like to have the power there if I need it and don't have the concentration to handle a flight much longer than 4:30 anyway!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltrousers View Post
Sorry.
KDS innova 550
KDE 600XF-1175 Motor
Gens Ace 5000MAH 50C
Castle Creations 100A
17T pinion
150 tooth main gear

Motor comes down warm, not hot. What you said about efficiency makes sense, but I have to balance that with giving the governor enough overhead too right? Probably not running at it's most efficient now right?

Thanks!
You may want to look into Mr Mel's Head Speed Calculator http://heli.dacsa.net/calcv3/Default.aspx. He also has a neat $1.99 iOS app which I use on the iPhone. There is also an Android version.

According to the calculator, with your 150T/17T gears, you are looking at efficient HS around 2,500 RPM. That may be a tad too fast. With that 150T main gear, a 15T pinion would allow you to run efficient HS or 2,100 to 2,200 RPM. That 10.0 gear ratio would be easier on your motor, and allow for less governing RPM fluctuations.
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool thanks. I'll drop it down by 50-100 and see how it goes today!
I'll post back.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it went ok today but I realized I could still get the same head speed (with room for gov) if I go down a tooth on the pinion. Should have more torque and hopefully run more efficiently that way....I'll post back tomorrow!
Old 04-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Setup is pretty good now, lots of power and good battery life. Just need to learn some decent collective management now!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in