Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How fast can you charge a lipo battery?

Hi I have a bunch of lipos and am curios if I can charge them faster than say 2.2 amps for a 2200mah battery?
david.lunn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

No mate, stick to 1C of the batteries Mah rating.

Your spot on, 2.2a is the most that battery will take safely.

Craig.
3DmaniacOz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Some manufacturers claim their packs are able to handle 2C or even 3C charging, but I wouldn't risk it myself.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

if you do a full charge you wont gain that much time, only the first two thirds of the charge will be at that rate than for the last 1/3 will be a very slow trickle charge...IMO its not worth risking shortening the packs life ( packs are expensive)
azjc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

6 batts? Should set your microwave to maybe 28 seconds. If it is less than 1000W then set it for 45 seconds.
rockjock3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FMA Direct has been claiming faster than 1C charge rates with their chargers for some time.

I charge all my packs at 2C (95% charge to 4.17 V / cell) ... some people even charge at 3C. Of course this assumes you have good quality packs and a good quality charger to match.
marchambault is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Unless I NEED a battery charged quickly, I always charge at 1C. But I have charged all of my batteries at 2C a couple of times without any problems. But like azjc said, the charge time isn't exactly cut in half.......what would normally take me 60 minutes to charge at 1C took 40 minutes at 2C.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you are going to try charging over 1C, I would only do so while balance charging.

Fast and easy flight logging with tons of extras at rcflylog.com
saltyzoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo View Post
If you are going to try charging over 1C, I would only do so while balance charging.
Well, that should go without saying. I charge all my packs at 2C every time. Cellpro10S baby!
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

2C to 3C at all times for me, except with some of my really old tired packs which seldom see use except for set-up of new models.

It goes without saying that this should only be done with a high quality balancing charger - I like the iChargers in that they monitor individual cell voltage and if the integrated balancer is not able to keep up with the high charge rate selected (if a cell risks exceeding 4.20V), then the overall charge rate is reduced until the balancer can keep up.

- David
write2dgray is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 1C "safe" charge recommendation is ancient and is based on charging without balancing.
I charge my 8S 3700 and 4200 packs at 10 amps (the max the charger goes) for about 70 cycles now. No problems. IR is still good. Cells barely need balancing, voltage is great.
Even the charger that ships with the mCX charges at almost 3C. I think the old 1C rule is dead, dead, dead.
teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hi-Tech Balance charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshreve View Post
The 1C "safe" charge recommendation is ancient and is based on charging without balancing.
I charge my 8S 3700 and 4200 packs at 10 amps (the max the charger goes) for about 70 cycles now. No problems. IR is still good. Cells barely need balancing, voltage is great.
Even the charger that ships with the mCX charges at almost 3C. I think the old 1C rule is dead, dead, dead.
While I agree, THERE IS NO DATA, to suggest that when using a high performance, computer controlled balance charger that the batteries suffer in ANY way as a function of charge rate. Remember, a state of the art LiPo can sustain a 30C discharge rate and peak of 60C. Asking it to handle a 3 or 4 or even 5C during the charge cycle is not a big request..... UNLESS, you just plug it in and hit it with high amperage via an old fashion charger.

High rate charging MUST be done with computer controlled balance chargers. You should not connect a LiPo to traditional charger and charge above 1C. Computer controlled chargers hit the LiPo pack hard early in the charge cycle then taper off as voltage and thus resistance builds.

Michael
Drevil02 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with enthusiasm.
I do believe there is SOME data supporting our belief, however.
It seems the industry has no official position on the matter, which is somewhat odd, so we are left with comparing small datasets with no standardization. It isn't great info, but it is worth something.
teshreve is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hyperion ROCKS ! ! !

I have been using Hyperion chargers and batteries for over a year now. Hyp. says that there chargers and batteries are safe to charge at 2C -- I am a believer ! ! ! If there is a problem with the pack, the charger either lets you know or shuts down. I balance charge every time as is recommended. Next purchase is an EMETER. Watt/volt meter and tach all in one --

Airgeek
Airgeek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

i change my batteries at 4 amps. my batteries are 2200mah, I use the align rcc-6cx is that a good charger to handle 4 amps?
butters149 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Call me crazy but if a battery can discharge at 25 or 30c, why can't it safely be balance charged at 3 or 4c?

I realize charging and discharging aren't exactly the same thing, but seriously. We've got packs that can supply 50 amps continuously, they must be able to take 4 on a charge!
Chizel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizel View Post
Call me crazy but if a battery can discharge at 25 or 30c, why can't it safely be balance charged at 3 or 4c?

I realize charging and discharging aren't exactly the same thing, but seriously. We've got packs that can supply 50 amps continuously, they must be able to take 4 on a charge!
Unfortunately, that's bad logic based on no facts but wishful thinking.

It's no different than saying "We've got cars that can fall off cliffs, they must be able to fly up to cliffs too!"

Fast and easy flight logging with tons of extras at rcflylog.com
saltyzoo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are many differences between lipo batteries. When I was evaluating cells and packs from 3 different lipoly manufacturers, I tested various make up of cells from each manufacturer. The differences in ratings, capacities and how they held voltage was amazing, even within the same manufacturer. Think of it as levels of quality.

My belief is that most lipo's can handle a 2C as long as they cells are in balance before you charge. That also means that if they are out of balance, I would not recommend more than 1C rate. If the cells are out of balance after a flight and you did not draw more than 80% of the capacity, that is the problem as more than likely the cells are not matched or have different internal resistance which is causing the flow of power faster in some cells and slower in others. If it comes out slower in a cell, then it goes in slower as well. Knowing the internal resistance of each cell is key.
RC Accessory is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

when at the field flying my TP packs (2500 mah) for my 450 get charged at 6.25 amps and it takes about 2 hours to charge 4 packs,fly 2 packs then fly my 600 for a bit, by that time the first 2 are done ,fly the other 2 and start the cycle again,i am carefull with my 500 packs(TP 3300mah) charge those at 2c (6.6amps) my reciever pack for 600(FP 2500mah) only gets charged at 1c, been carging those 450 packs like this for at least a year on the oldest one,it starting to lose power, but its a old pack

http://www.brunswickrcclub.com/
CTG1129 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

2c for me as well. zippy 2200 25c, and 3E model 2200 25c. no problems to date.
cx2, mcx, T Rex 450 SA, GAUI 550, walkera cb100, 4#6, 4#6S, 4g6S, trex 450 clone, V911/FP100, DX7, DX8
never hold your farts in. they travel up your spine, and that's where s****y ideas come from.
shaggybirdman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in