Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gasser Helicopters

Gasser Helicopters Gasser Specific Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Zenoah G260 or G231

I have been running a G260 since buying my first gasser and have really grown to like this heli although it has had it's moments.

I'm starting to think nearly all my troubles have stemmed from the G260 vibrating badly causing a multitude of problems and now it has broken the exhaust outlet out of the cylinder leaving me considering whether I should persevere with it or not and fit a G231.

So my question is does the G231 vibrate any less than the G260 and is there a noticeable difference in power??

Or is there a better solution??

Thanks,

Lance
MA ProII YS61STII |
Kasama Srimok N90 YS91SR | Ergo 3D OS46FX | Ergo30 OS30SX | HK600e | HK500e |
Vortexx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is this the Hanson 26 that's in your signature? If so, it should NOT be a debilitating source of vibration.

There are many reasons why an engine vibrates, and as you can read from my Many posts on the subject, a LOT of it has to do with oil, type and mixture.

Another typical problem is air leakage, causing lean conditions, that then cause vibrations.

Ifthere is a mechanical problem with the engine or installation, crank twisted, fan imbalance, fan not dialed in properly on installation. Fixing these issues would obviously cure any vibes.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Vibration

What octane are u using...Remember when u mix a 90 octane with oil it lowers it to 88..U will always lose 2 points mixing with oil..Then if fuel has been sitting and allowed to evaporate..then it heads even lower. Low octane causes detonation that will lead to serious vibration and engine damage... Pistons can be damaged, rods bent, cylinder walls scored, etc...I use Amsoil 100-1. U will be amazed how easy the engine starts, runs and doesn't SMOKE.. Octane booster may help...I would certainly try easy fixes first....Not knowing the engines history...hard to guess whats wrong with it....If fuel won't fix it, then its time for a teardown and a blueprint and balance job...If one compares these two engines..they are almost identical, so U would be just be changing numbers and not fixing the original problem

Last edited by dave22250; 04-25-2011 at 07:50 AM..
dave22250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22250 View Post
.I use Amsoil 100-1. U will be amazed how easy the engine starts, runs and doesn't SMOKE..
Dave

What mixture do you use with the Amsoil 100-1 ??

Al
RealFlight 7.5
al_voisine is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default MIX

50-1 Amsol mix w/ 2oz Stabil per 5 gals of fuel. Buy in portion pks..like 50 to a box,,I have run 100-1, but I'm from the old goat school and it makes me a little un nervy to do it...Most of the new engines use 100-1 anyway...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Dave, These engines were DESIGNED to run on low octane. I run the cheap 87 octane fuel AND mix 5oz of oil into a gallon, and my engines run VERY smooth.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default DESIGN

Maybe so...Do you know what he's running ..I used the 90 to show what oil does to octain ratings. For all we know his fuel is 50...Tell me oil content doesn't effect octane ratings and I quit. These forums are run from afar so we must speculate and read
closely ...I just suggested this trying to help..........Using all those capital letters means nothing to me except U must be a very insecure person SARG
Old 04-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbergen View Post
Dave, These engines were DESIGNED to run on low octane. I run the cheap 87 octane fuel AND mix 5oz of oil into a gallon, and my engines run VERY smooth.
+1 LOW OCTANE!
Greatsteaks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris, whilst I appreciate you take the time to reply to my and many other users questions and comments, I cannot but wonder why you always treat everyone as if they are a moron.

I always respect anyone who has genuinely taken the time to reply, but 99% of what you write is totally useless and really does little to answer the question asked.

Yes the engine in question is a Hanson 260...You obviously read signatures and in saying that you should have picked up that I am from the old school and a heli instructor. Anyone else would deduce from that I have a little bit of experience and knowledge of matters pertaining to the topic.

Getting back to the topic and if you'd care to make a useful contribution to the topic, in your vast experience with these engines have you noticed a noticeable increase in vibration in a properly tuned and a nicely running Hanson 260 compared to a properly tuned and nicely running G231

Alternatively, is there a better option to either of these engines worth noting......

Thank You.

Regards,

Lance
MA ProII YS61STII |
Old 04-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greatsteaks is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Lance

Thanks...I once had association with a guy like this to...President of our company told me to just listen and humor him...Then just do what you were going to do before U asked him...Worked for me..He's gone now...Don't know anybody that misses him...Nuff Said
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You got it. I'm out.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lots of guys run Coleman Camper fuel,,,the octane of this stuff is like 60 octane and varies cause a Stove Dont care what it burns. Lots of guys love the stuff and it runs well for them in their gasser heli's. So add oil and ,,guess what ?? The Octane is LOWER ,,OMFG!!!!! Your thinking Dave is that OCTANE will cure all. You are not very educated on motors,,,you put Premium in your Honda Civic on the Weekends for extra Power??,,,You are wasting your money dude,,
turboomni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:Low octane causes pre detonation ,,Quote

DUDE!! There is no such thing as PRE Detonation....look it up
Detonation happens Before the plug fires,,You cannot PRE That.
Before you barf up what crap you read from a poor source do a little research or better yet turn a wrench on Something to know how it works
Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave22250 View Post
Thanks...I once had association with a guy like this to...President of our company told me to just listen and humor him...Then just do what you were going to do before U asked him...Worked for me..He's gone now...Don't know anybody that misses him...Nuff Said
So that means you know about heli motors??
Sorry ,,,not true,, But DO KEEP Your NOSE IN YOUR PRESIDENTS SMELLY AREA,,YOU SEEM TO LIKE IT!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! That area suites you very well ,,you seem happy there!!! Continue to be the most perfect PUPPET you can be!!!! LOL!!

From your posts you know nothing of this subject,,,,,,,,,,

Nuff said as you spell it,,,,,your posts are total Garbage,,,,,,
good grief,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default good grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexx View Post
Chris, whilst I appreciate you take the time to reply to my and many other users questions and comments, I cannot but wonder why you always treat everyone as if they are a moron.Quote

He is simply trying to help you ,,He is one of the most knowledgeable gasser guys out there.

Quote::I always respect anyone who has genuinely taken the time to reply, but 99% of what you write is totally useless and really does little to answer the question asked.Quote

He tells it like it is,,I have never had a problem with his posts

QUOTE::: Yes the engine in question is a Hanson 260...You obviously read signatures and in saying that you should have picked up that I am from the old school and a heli instructor. Anyone else would deduce from that I have a little bit of experience and knowledge of matters pertaining to the topic.Quote

Who cares if you are a heli instructor,,that means very little. All this statement tells me is you are full of yourself. Why post here then?? You know it all don't you?? Common say it's so!!

QUOTE:: Getting back to the topic and if you'd care to make a useful contribution to the topic, in your vast experience with these engines have you noticed a noticeable increase in vibration in a properly tuned and a nicely running Hanson 260 compared to a properly tuned and nicely running G231QUOTE

No difference except power...you are doing something wrong. I'm gald I'm not your heli student,,,Have you seen his video of his BRAND NEW out of the box 26cc UNMODIFIED motor in his heli?/ Runs great! Yours obviously does not,,,,,,

QUOTE...Alternatively, is there a better option to either of these engines worth noting.....Quote

No difference except power and the so called heli instructor's inability to set it up correctly inspite of their so called heli backround experience Who's the moron here again??.

Thank You.

Regards,

Lance
Regards??

Good grief!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default In my experience so far

A hanson G26 will run smoother than a stock G231. Remember that stock motors come anywhere from close to being true to as far out as 4 thousands on the crank according to Hanson. So you may get lucky and get a smoother one, the ones I tried were not as smooth as the Hansons I own that the cranks are trued to 1/2 thousands.

-=>Raja,
Jewel on-board Generators, Miniature Aircraft Team Manager
rbort is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

"turboomni" I never doubted Chris's knowledge about gas engines...SO please read back and get off your high horse. What I did say is clear enough to those of us who can see past our own egos.

I asked a simple question, Chris replied and what he added was fairly obvious and really didn't add anything...This is no isolated case.....Read back through the Gasser and Turbine threads and you'll get the gist. Now you're vigorously defending him.......That also sends out a clear message!!

Now if you have something constructive to add please do so otherwise find another thread to hijack.

Regards,

Lance
MA ProII YS61STII |
Old 04-25-2011, 02:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbort View Post
A hanson G26 will run smoother than a stock G231. Remember that stock motors come anywhere from close to being true to as far out as 4 thousands on the crank according to Hanson. So you may get lucky and get a smoother one, the ones I tried were not as smooth as the Hansons I own that the cranks are trued to 1/2 thousands.

-=>Raja,
I have heard a lot of good reports of Hanson engines which is why I have persevered with this one. But it's obvious there is something not right with this one. I will pull it down later and dial the crank and have a close look inside and see if there is anything obviously wrong.

I bought the heli and engine second hand so I don't really know what it's history is.

In the mean time I will be getting another engine....I'm not sure which way I will go yet....Any suggestions??

Regards,

Lance
MA ProII YS61STII |
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I pulled the engine out and took some readings and found the crank run out to be fairly close 0.001" but both crank bearings have excessive side clearance 0.0025" top and 0.0035" btm. The surprise was the end float was 0.008" which is more like what you'd expect from a 10 liter diesel engine and not a 26cc

It seems the 260 is not recommended for hi revs and is more attune to lugging, whereas the 231 is better suited for hi revs such as my application.

In the mean time I have sent out emails to engine tuners to see what they recommend for my application and will wait and see what comes back.

Regards,

Lance
MA ProII YS61STII |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in