Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Another Crash

Well it was the day after Christmas and the sun was shining and i thought it would be a great day to fly. I am after all still a newbie and need all the practice that i can get. So i cant out there and man was it cold and the wind was blowing pretty strong. But hey i wanted to fly!! All was going well even with the wind(after the first turn and the tailwind really hit, i figured out how to deal with it) and I even did my first roll!!! Man was i excited and that's when it happened,SMACK into the ground..Im still not sure what happened, I think i stopped concentrating on it and lost orientation. But oh well it didnt sour my mood and i have the replacement parts here at home. Overall visible damage--One main blade, Flybar, main gear has a bunch of chewed up teeth(cause???) and thats all i can see right now. Still need to take apart and rebuild. But i Tell you what. I love this hobby!!!!!!![IMG]file:///Users/andrekidd/Desktop/IMG_1552.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	73903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1550.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	73906  

RCA EC-145 600 size...Coming Soon
2TOFLY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

Do yourself a favor and get some good old 325 Pro Wood blades ... THEY will break instead of stripping your main gears and/or other more expensive parts. Not to mention they fly better than those paint stirrers you've got on there now!
ChrisH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey, I crashed today also...well, it wasn't really a crash. I was hovering in my yard, (all I can do with the small space, I was adjusting the gyro gain w/ pitch pumps) and I set the bird back down and turned and was talking to my father for a second. While I was turned and looking at him, the heli fell over (either wind or was not level in grass). Only the main shaft and flybar were damaged, the upper jesus bolt was sheared. I learned to never take my eyes off the heli when the blades are spinning. I'm just happy the CF blades are fine.

Hey, sorry about the crash, but it sounds like you have a good attitude about it and you're prepared with spare parts.

The teeth on the main gear get torn up more easily if the pinion to main gear mesh is too loose.

Also, hitting the throttle hold before hitting the ground can save you a lot of damage.

Don't take too long on the rebuild, but be careful to go over everything. Mechanical failures can cause a quick second crash.
ken22golf is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 02:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

yep learned real quick too never stop paying attention!! But thats why i fly the 450 right now, to learn how to fly..i have a 600 that i have to build. Think if i would have crashed that one i would have cried

Old 12-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
main gear has a bunch of chewed up teeth(cause???)
Well, that one's simple. You had the motor running when it hit the ground. Whenever a crash becomes inevitable, hit throttle-hold right away. If the motor stops spinning before the helicopter hits the ground, you will never strip the main gear. You will also have less energy in the rotor, and it is rare to damage any parts other than the feathering spindle and the main shaft. I wouldn't bother with wooden blades yet. If you can cut the motor in time, wooden blades will be the most expensive part of any crash (plastic ones almost always survive).
wlfk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks WFLK, it was only my second crash and my first one i didnt chew up any teeth. I would have hit the throttle hold if i knew i was going to crash. LOL. By the time i realized that i could recovery it was to late

Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Whether you use woodies or not, you will still strip the main gear. Even when I hit TH quickly I end up stripping the main gear. But that's not a biggie, they are cheap and easy to fix!

Good luck bro,
Skarn
Skarn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

She is up and running again like a champ. Wish it was just warmer outside. I tried to go fly but its flat out to cold (29F). Thanks to all for the help

Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wink

I flew my 450 today also, it was bitter cold.....

I also do the winter training just with the 450 and sometime the 500er, I find it harder to fly with the small 450, my 600 is a rocksolid babe.....

So I hope next year I can master fast freeflight and nose inn hovering, then I can start to tear up the skies......

Its a great hobby and a good balance for all the stress I have.....

See you all in 2009!

Have fun!
McDaniel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
Whether you use woodies or not, you will still strip the main gear. Even when I hit TH quickly I end up stripping the main gear. But that's not a biggie, they are cheap and easy to fix!

Good luck bro,
Skarn
hi,i find i get less damage with 325 woodies,and ive not had to replace a belt ever since i started spraying my belt with WD40!
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 02:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG1 View Post
hi,i find i get less damage with 325 woodies,and ive not had to replace a belt ever since i started spraying my belt with WD40!
Agreed! Definitely less damage but I was just pointing out the main gear is one of the first things to get damaged for the most part.

As far as the belt, I've never had to replace a belt...and I never lube. I did put on a gates simply because I had one

Skarn
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,you are right it is the main that goes 1st! i had a crash with 315 carbon's the other week(i only bought them because they looked good! waste of money!) and they made more damage than good! back to woodies.

cheers.
Futaba 8FG
JAG1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

you need CF blades for 3D Flight
crehop is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 05:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarn View Post
Agreed! Definitely less damage but I was just pointing out the main gear is one of the first things to get damaged for the most part.

As far as the belt, I've never had to replace a belt...and I never lube. I did put on a gates simply because I had one

Skarn
I'm with you Skarn. Don't know where this mandatory wd-40 belt soaking thing came from, but I've never done it and have never replaced a belt.

T-Rex 600 GF, 600XL, Stock ESC, 11t, Align DS610's, s9251,GY601 gyro, AR6200, ZIPPY 6s1P FOREVER!
testpilot58d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

2tofly,

Congratulations on that first roll!

That is a very big step, and something to be proud of.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

I've had a couple of crashes that I thought for sure had chewed up the main gear because sometimes you just can't be quick enough on the TH. Best tip I can give you is to upgrade your upper jesus bolt with the silver ones from Ready Heli. I haven't stripped a main gear since. I'm not sure if they're stainless, zinc, or whatever, but the shear strength is a lot more forgiving than the black ones Align gives you with their kit. They come as a pair (for upper/lower), but you don't need to use the lower. I cut those down and use them for the top.
heli-on is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still say it's rare that you need to replace a main gear if you are sharp on throttle-hold. I think I've only had to replace one in my past 10-20 crashes.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfk View Post
I still say it's rare that you need to replace a main gear if you are sharp on throttle-hold. I think I've only had to replace one in my past 10-20 crashes.
+1 Thats what TH is all about. Relieves the energy in the drive line.
TBS Disco w Core Naza GPS FPV 1.2 vtx MT Tiger motors
02deuce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I think you guys have been lucky then lol! I hit TH every time and have even hit it prior to a crash and still stripped a couple teeth on my main gear. Think about it, even with TH on, the blades are still spinning up extremely fast and they studdenly stop......

Skarn
Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Think about it, even with TH on, the blades are still spinning up extremely fast and they studdenly stop......
Think about it a bit more though, and you should realise that the motor and main gear will be immobile, however fast the main blades are going round. That's what the one-way bearing is for.

If it were the tail and autorotation gears, I would agree with you. But although I have some spares lying around, I have never needed them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in