Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Devo 7 setup question

I'm trying to use a Devo 7 with a Mini Titan that I purchased used. So I bought a RX 601 to replace the Spektrum 6 channel receiver. I've wired it up and all of the servos will move with stick input, but the movements are all wrong. I've tried different setting, but nothing seems to truly mix the servos correctly.

So I have a couple of questions.

1 - I've tried the settings that work with my Genius CP and the servo outputs are different on the RX 601 than the GCP. Does the Genius receiver board do some electronic mixing?

2 - Has anybody else done this and had it work? If so, can you share your setup?

3 - I know that somebody will suggest an upgrade to a Devo 8 and I'm considering it with the horrible UI on the 7. Is there a setup guide for the 8?

Thank you in advance.
JWeber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Never mind, stupid difficult to program radio problem.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
I'm trying to use a Devo 7 with a Mini Titan that I purchased used. So I bought a RX 601 to replace the Spektrum 6 channel receiver. I've wired it up and all of the servos will move with stick input, but the movements are all wrong. I've tried different setting, but nothing seems to truly mix the servos correctly.

So I have a couple of questions.

1 - I've tried the settings that work with my Genius CP and the servo outputs are different on the RX 601 than the GCP. Does the Genius receiver board do some electronic mixing?

2 - Has anybody else done this and had it work? If so, can you share your setup?

3 - I know that somebody will suggest an upgrade to a Devo 8 and I'm considering it with the horrible UI on the 7. Is there a setup guide for the 8?

Thank you in advance.
Did you setup the swashplate type in DEVO7?
Flying Fox is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the wrong swash plate type. My Genius uses "Normal" but the Mini Titan needs the 120. I also had to reverse one of the channels. And, the rx-601 had a bad channel in it.

Soooo between all of those things, I was pretty confused at what was happening.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

In fact I have been using RX601 to bind my belt cp to DEVO7 and my problem is that once i change the swash plate setup from normal to 120 the rudder channel disappears. So currently I am ordering the UP02 update cable for DEVO7 to eliminate the bug.

I did not check in details but I think in my case the swash plate moved correctly. Let me know if you finally manage this stuff and if you meet the same problem with rudder channel.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're kidding right? I just sent my RX601 back to WOW because the rudder channel quit working. I thought it was the receiver. Please let me know if this works for you.

Last edited by JWeber; 06-05-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once I will get the UP-02 upgrade cable - I will post the results of the update. But I am quite positive that it is DEVO7 problem and not the RX.

Change the swash plate setup and then go to the monitor function of the transmitter. There see the RUDD channel - in my case it stays 0% regardless any stick input.

I dont expect to have UP-02 soon, I contacted ehirobo.com a few days ago and they have promised to add this cable to their stock. Gonna see how long it will take.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

The cheapest I have seen is here
http://www.oomodel.com/walkera-up02-...o-p-62764.html

Not sure if it is in stock.

But it seems to be in stock here but more expensive.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/up02-updat...?cPath=167_169

I also prefer to use ehirobo, but they don't always stock the full range of parts for Walkera. Never used the two suppliers above, but looking at some of the posts a number of people seem to have done so without any problems.
PaulsBA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am buying from ehirobo: http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11913
they don't have such a good stock as oomodel, but I like their service.

In fact, I have never ordered anything from oomodel until yesterday when I ordered some servo gears - gonna see how oomodel works (they have already shipped my order which is not bad )
Old 06-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Finally, I have received the DP02 upgrade dongle and updated the firmware of my DEVO7 from v.01 to v.03b. The swash plate mixing bug has disappeared. In other words rudder channel now works in all swash plate setup modes.

So if you plan to use DEVO7 with a helicopter that requires different from normal mode swashplate (probably any helicopter with standard one axis gyro) than this update is a must.

I have not noticed any other changes in menu or radio operation after the update

A nice feature is that firmware update does not remove already setup in the radio models; however, you can always backup your models to your PC using the same upgrade software.

One more thing, as it was already mentioned somewhere on helifreak, to download a model from your radio to your PC use the "Upload Action" in the config bar and to upload a new model from your PC to the radio use "Download Action" in the Config tab of the UP02 Program Upgrade Tool.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Finally

Glad to hear that i can use this TX and not buy a new one. now to see if it will work on my Trex 250.
tonyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi, I am building a Copter x 250 and have a Devo 7 TX left over so got a RX601 receiver to try and make use of the devo 7. I also had a spare 3GX unit I want to use.
My problem is how do you set the pitch up? I have the throttle and everything else working but there is no pitch channel on the RX just AUX and Gear. How can I map the Pitch channel to the gear or AUX?

Cheers
helimaddness is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello. There is no "real" pitch channel in Walkera or any other radio as far as I know. The radio is mixing your elevator, aileron and throttle (pitch) commands to provide proper input to the servos under the swash plate.
However, on receivers you might see pitch, elev, ailer written next to servos connections- these are just a way to name your three servos that control swash plate movement, but pitch channel in terms of the pitch curve does not exist. When you change the pitch input on your radio (throttle stick) all three servos will go equally up or down. So what you will need to do is properly connect your servos to these connectors on the receiver.

Also, as far as I remember, you need to update the DEVO7 firmware to be able to use 120-swash plate setting.

Hope that helps
Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont think that Helimadness uses 3servo swash type, but the 1servo normal type, because he is building a FBL helicopter where the CCPM mixing is done in de 3GX and not in the transmitter

Use the aux1 on the rx601 for the pitch servo connector (this is standard), dont let it fool you for the text next to it. I have 3 RX601 on FB so its working well. Also I have a RX2618 on the CX250 since its only about 48USD and it is RX and 3GX in 1 unit since space on the 250 is limited it is very simple to ue it.

But also separate unit wil work with separate 3GX unit.

If you have any furthe question just let me know.

br,
Dave
dcb103 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Devo 7 setup to v120d02s need help

Hi,
on normal pos 0, when I move the cyclic stick and let go, the all servos moves back very slow and does not have any gyro adjustment on cyclic. but when I move Mix switch on Devo 7 to Pos 2 the cyclic move back to center normal speed and gyro works fine on cyclic. I feel the devo is setup out of wack and need help solving this. can someone help me with this
eheli-v120d02s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in