Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 450 Pro v2 or 450 Sport V2

I am getting back into flybarred helis (I've been flying FBL helis untill now), so was wondering which 450 Trex FB to get?

I recently bought a new in box Trex 450 Pro V2 (p/n KX015082). I want to get a 2nd one either as a 2nd heli or for spares. Or should I get the 450 Sport V2 (# KX015081) ? BTW, these are not going to be upgraded to FBL (I have other FBL helis for that).

The Sport has a wider 4-piece frame, on-boom servo, belt vs torq tube, more plastic, etc, etc. As far as the head -- which one is the latest design -- the Pro v2 or Sport v2? On the other hand, I really don't want to have to stock 2 sets of spare parts -- one for the Pro and one for Sport.

So, what's the consensus: get a 2nd Pro V2 or a get a Sport V2 ?

thanks

Last edited by helirifick; 06-23-2015 at 03:10 AM..
helirifick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello, I have had both, and, to be honest, the Pro just flies better, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally like the pro much better. Only thing that some people don't like is the torque tube. I see it as a positive myself because I don't care for belts.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would get another pro, I have two 450 pros right now. I fly one and switch to the other after a crash. I like that they share the same parts and I can swap whole components if I'm having issues after a rebuild.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Ok, I got another 450 Pro V2 (p/n KX015082) -- flybarred!! My place looks like a damn hobby store -- there are heli things/kits/stuff everywhere !!

From what I managed to gather, the diff between the Pro V2 and Sport V2 are that the Sport has a wider body, 4 part frame, more plasticky parts, belted tail, all 400 series Align servos and tail boom mounted tail servo, and better head than the Pro ?

Are these things stretchable to 360 size & 6s or just leave them alone? I am not going to upgrade them to FBL, by the way.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought a set of KST DS215MG cyclic servos to replace one of my 450 Pro V2's 410M servos and a KST DS525MG servo for the tail.

I may run them all on 6V with the stock ESC's BEC (can it take it?) or put a Hobbywing 50 V3 with its great BEC and run it on 7.4V or more.

Speaking of the stock ESC -- mine is RCE-BL35P -- do I need to do the Finless heatsink mod or whatever its called?

Also, what 7 or more channel receiver from Spektrum or Futaba is good to run on these? I was thinking of the Futaba R7008SB (came with my 14SGH) or Spektrum AR8000 (came with my DX8).

thanks again!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Pro is great on 4S!

Instead of building a new Sport 450, Align should have shelved the SE and given the Pro a belt, put a boom clamp on it so the boom stays put and keeps the belt belt tight, give it a sliding adjustable stock motor mount, Increase the Feathering shaft to 5mm, increase the main shaft to 6mm like Blade CFX 360 and X3.

They should have given it a dual control tail with affordable individual parts like Gaui did their X3.

This describes my Pro to a tee except the Feathering shafts and main oh and motor mount. I had the Rakon http://www.rakonheli.com/cnc-adjusta...450pro-v2.html
motor mount and it was sweet while it lasted but it wasn't worth a damn. Only days old It broke in flight under normal use the day before I took the heli on vacation and almost ruined my flying. It was too late to order a mount so I ended up driving an hour and a half to get a stock Align Trex 450 motor mount while on vacation.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get an aftermarket tail shaft to make it a belt drive. My pro was originally belt when I bought it. As for the motor mount, it is adjustable, so don't understand that one. As for the feathering shaft, it works just fine, so I don't see what the problem is.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd ditch the flybar and just go fbl all the way. For a decent electronic 3S setup the sport fbl is wonderful to fly. I got my 450 pro on fbl and 4S. Both PRO and Sport are awesome. Thinking of putting them all on 4S one day, once my 3S electronics claps out.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbleguy View Post
I'd ditch the flybar and just go fbl all the way. For a decent electronic 3S setup the sport fbl is wonderful to fly. I got my 450 pro on fbl and 4S. Both PRO and Sport are awesome. Thinking of putting them all on 4S one day, once my 3S electronics claps out.
You should read the OP's original post a bit better. He said he is NOT converting these to FBL because he already has a few FBL helis and wants to experience FLYBARRED helis.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would go with the Pro and do a Tarot belt conversion. I have several flybars and love them so much better then my FBL's, they waltz around the sky.

Curious, why do you want a 7 or more channel RX?

Steve
Old 06-28-2015, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla912000 View Post
You should read the OP's original post a bit better. He said he is NOT converting these to FBL because he already has a few FBL helis and wants to experience FLYBARRED helis.

Did you miss the OP's second post???

I've had many flybarred helis, the problem I found with them the more moving parts, the more prone it is for slop.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am not going to upgrade them to FBL, by the way.
Quote:
Did you miss the OP's second post???
Not sure what you are reading in the second post that is different?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post

Touch'e

Steve
Old 06-30-2015, 04:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
Sometimes they just don't get it.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am the OP, and I am not converting these to flybarless.

Why? Because I have other helis in my fleet that are flybarless already and I wanted to check out flybarred helis -- like these 450 Pro V2's and 500E & 500E Pro I got.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirifick View Post
I am the OP, and I am not converting these to flybarless.

Why? Because I have other helis in my fleet that are flybarless already and I wanted to check out flybarred helis -- like these 450 Pro V2's and 500E & 500E Pro I got.
That's exactly what I was trying to point out, but some people either don't get it or just can't read.

I support your decision not to convert to FBL as I myself have 2 flybarred 450's and love the way they fly.

Good luck on your quest and happy flying.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecpnitro View Post
The Pro is great on 4S!

Instead of building a new Sport 450, Align should have shelved the SE and given the Pro a belt, put a boom clamp on it so the boom stays put and keeps the belt belt tight, give it a sliding adjustable stock motor mount, Increase the Feathering shaft to 5mm, increase the main shaft to 6mm like Blade CFX 360 and X3.

They should have given it a dual control tail with affordable individual parts like Gaui did their X3.

This describes my Pro to a tee except the Feathering shafts and main oh and motor mount. I had the Rakon http://www.rakonheli.com/cnc-adjusta...450pro-v2.html
motor mount and it was sweet while it lasted but it wasn't worth a damn. Only days old It broke in flight under normal use the day before I took the heli on vacation and almost ruined my flying. It was too late to order a mount so I ended up driving an hour and a half to get a stock Align Trex 450 motor mount while on vacation.
Just spent my 4th of July weekend on my Sport. Blew the blades off because I assumed of course Align is going to lock tight those feathering shaft bolts if they are sending it pre-assembled. It does say in the instructions to check yourself before flying. That's what I get. Then my tail boom pulled in and I lost the tail bring her down hard to avoid mutilation. I'm thinking of adding a thin layer of loctite next build. The damn screws strip trying to get them tight enough to hold the boom. Any ideas?
Flyboy_AJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 05:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've seen people use the servo mounts to prevent the boom from slipping in and loosening the belt. They took one and tightened it up right against the boom block. There is a link below. You can also wrap a layer of tape around the boom where it goes in the block to give it more to grab.

Align does loosely assemble the tail and head parts but as you learned, you must go through and loctite it!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2812062...3D862899773517
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy_AJ View Post
Just spent my 4th of July weekend on my Sport. Blew the blades off because I assumed of course Align is going to lock tight those feathering shaft bolts if they are sending it pre-assembled. It does say in the instructions to check yourself before flying. That's what I get. Then my tail boom pulled in and I lost the tail bring her down hard to avoid mutilation. I'm thinking of adding a thin layer of loctite next build. The damn screws strip trying to get them tight enough to hold the boom. Any ideas?
I had the same problem with the tail boom on my 450pro and used the tape method and it works great. Hasn't slipped one bit since I have done it. I used a piece of 2 sided tape. Not the 2 sided foam tale like used for mounting your gyro, but the 2 sided "scotch" tale, or carpet tape to be exact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in