Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Current 450 helis optimized to 325mm blades

It is starting to get hard to find parts for my trust old TRex 450 SE V2 (upgraded to FBL), so I went ahead and got a Gaui X3, on which I am still working out some kinks, but which shows promise and I think I will enjoy. The problem with it though is that it really is made to be swinging 360mm blades on 6S, which people are right ... does fly much bigger than 325mm on 3S. Problem is it's a bit too big for my space. And I know it *can* run 325mm blades, but it's a bit big for them (although I'll admit I haven't tried).

I'd really like to find something currently supported, and with some future that was designed first and foremost to be a 325mm / 3S machine. So far, from what I've read on the forums, I've found the Mini-Protos, which you can stretch, which seems to have been built as a 325mm bird. What others are out there? It seems everyone is going away from 325mm blades, but I really like them. I'm tempted by the new Oxy3, but am afraid it will be too small for me (I used to fly a Gaui 200 so I'm familiar w/ this general size bird (I flew 205mm blades vs. the Oxy3's 255, but close enough)).
Shabill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You could switch over to the pro frame and run 325s. I really like mine after years of use. Although it's 6s now. You really can't go wrong imo with the oxy helicopter. Not much difference in how it flies from a 450. I feel it's actually easier to see with the Orange canopy. Not to mention the oxy is a little more precise in handling also. And options for oxy are plenty. I havnt stretched my oxy maybe some can comment on how that compares to a 325 mm heli.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's a thought. I'm already running the head and I think the tail from the 450 pro...
Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The 450 pro as said above is probably your best bet. It is a good flying heli. I have a v2 frame and a pro.

I'm just about to retire the v2 frame. Originally I like the space in the v2 frame but I've been using it over the years as a beater and I'm now realizing that it doesn't crash well - the 2 piece main frame design and the weak canopy mounts haven't faired well for me. On the other hand the 450 pro frame is small and sturdy but doesn't have a lot of space to work in.

Long story short. I don't want 2 450 pro's but I did want a better frame design, so I just bought a (clone) 450l dominator frame. I didn't want to spend much because I use it for practice. I also wanted to keep most of the other parts compatible with the 450 pro, all parts except the frame and head: skids, main gear, torque tube, fins, supports, main blades, and lipos.

So I decided to build it as a non-stretched 6s 325mm blade heli. I'm guessing it may be a little nose heavy, but I think I can adjust the battery position to compensate for it.

But the main thing is that I wanted it to crash cheap. And since the market is so saturated with 325mm based cloned equipment, this would be my best bet, plus I can convert it to the stretched version for less than $50 if I so choose.

Something to consider, in the end the 450 pro parts can fit in the 450l frame so I think it's a worth while experiment.
Gartt GT450L 6s [BD-3SX]

Last edited by Zermelo; 06-14-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Zermelo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've got the 450 Sport FBL and 450 PRO FBL. I prefer the Sport because it's much lighter, the frame is so much easier to work on than the PRO. For 3S/4S with 325mm Blades the Sport is perfect for it. With the 4S + lightweight frame that is heaps of power.

As for the PRO, because of it's heavy design I'm contemplating on switching it to a 6S Stretch with 360mm Blades. I think that combo would suite the 450 PRO nicely
Old 06-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Keep the Gaui and use the 325 blades. You will save a lot if money in crash costs. Use breakable servo arms and in a normal crash you're looking at Main blades, main gear, servo arms, and possibly tail boom and run a belt tail. With a sport or pro you can add main shaft and feathering shafts to that.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2015, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnrox View Post
You really can't go wrong imo with the oxy helicopter. Not much difference in how it flies from a 450. I feel it's actually easier to see with the Orange canopy.
I've worked on helis smaller than a 450, and found I really don't enjoy the process, regardless of how it flies... Maybe the Oxy is easier to work on than the others, but small parts can inherently be more difficult to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
I'm just about to retire the v2 frame. Originally I like the space in the v2 frame but I've been using it over the years as a beater and I'm now realizing that it doesn't crash well - the 2 piece main frame design and the weak canopy mounts haven't faired well for me.
If you can still get the frames, you can address this ... double up the upper frames and get a longer screw and some washers to better distribute force from the canopy mounts ... ever since I did that I've found the v2 frame to be pretty much indestructable ... in my crashes anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zermelo View Post
Something to consider, in the end the 450 pro parts can fit in the 450l frame so I think it's a worth while experiment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryu View Post
Keep the Gaui and use the 325 blades.
I'm hesitant to slap 325mm blades on something really designed for 360mm blades. I think going to the 450 Sport or Pro might be the way for me to go.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've run the x3 on 325's, it will be fine. People over exaggerate the differences between the 325's and 360's
MotorG525 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2015, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I weighed my TRex this morning. All-up flying weight is 904 grams with battery and canopy. The X3 came in at 1159 grams. Controlling for battery and blades (i.e., backing out the weight of the X3's battery and blades and adding back in the weight of the 450's battery and blades), the X3 would weigh 1066 grams, 162 more than the 450, or 18% heavier. Not sure what to make of all that ... I suppose I could go out and try it, or add balast to my 450 to see how it feels.

MotorG525 - are you flying your X3 on 3S or 6S? I have a 6S motor in it right now and currently run it on 6S and on 4S.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Right now I’m running 350mm blades with an Align 360MX motor on 6S and 4S. In light winds on 4S 2200rpm I’m getting 9 min. flight times, I’ve found in stronger wind you do need the power of the 6S I’m talking 10+ mph winds. When I was running 325mm blades I was using a Align 350MX 3400kv motor on 3S. I’m not sure how it will do with 325 blades on 4S my guess is the head speed will be too low with a 6S motor of course that depends on what motor your running. Best way to find out is try it and see how it does.
Larryu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in