Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Castle Creations ESC and Software

Castle Creations ESC and Software Castle Creations ESC Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
Super BEC Pro Mini!!!

Steve
I saw that it has two silicone wires so I guess you need to solder multiple servo leads so that the 16 amps current can be delivered to the Rx. I think to me, that's an overkill. I plan to buy the Super BEC Mini G2, which supports up to 8s - that's more than enough in my setup as I will only feed 6S to it.
neosunrise is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's never overkill to supply your electronics system, cheap out here and a brownout or shutdown may be in your near future. That G2 you mentioned is very good, I have the exact unit on my 550 running @6v and it has given me two seasons of perfect service.

Steve
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcopterman View Post
It's never overkill to supply your electronics system, cheap out here and a brownout or shutdown may be in your near future. That G2 you mentioned is very good, I have the exact unit on my 550 running @6v and it has given me two seasons of perfect service.

Steve
I agree with the point that cheaping out here is not quite a good decision and that's why I decided to go for the WR Hercules BEC. They are much more expensive but that's peace of mind. So you are also running a mini G2 and have no problem at all?
neosunrise is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

The two wires are for the incoming power. The receiver/FBL leads go to the SB Pro and then out to the servo so all servos are being fed directly at the SB Pro with power. The servo leads from the SB Pro also power the FBL unit.

Sorry, saw you are talking about the mini.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default going back to the main topic... How reliable is the CC BEC Pro?

Going back to the main topic...Anyone happen to know the MTBF for the CC BEC Pro?

Is it measured in seconds, minutes, flights?

Seriously, though... like any electronics in the hobby, too many variables, too many different applications, users abilities, etc. etc... Unfortunately I just witnessed a CC BEC Pro eat Four (4) like new MKS 960 / 990 servos in an instant on a member's heli. Servos are dead, the BEC is charred black mess. Just fried at initial plug into a 6s pack. He had multiple BEC pro's and some with 2-3 seasons use, this was the first and last failure.

WR or RX packs only in the future.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8CYF View Post
Going back to the main topic...Anyone happen to know the MTBF for the CC BEC Pro?

Is it measured in seconds, minutes, flights?

Seriously, though... like any electronics in the hobby, too many variables, too many different applications, users abilities, etc. etc... Unfortunately I just witnessed a CC BEC Pro eat Four (4) like new MKS 960 / 990 servos in an instant on a member's heli. Servos are dead, the BEC is charred black mess. Just fried at initial plug into a 6s pack. He had multiple BEC pro's and some with 2-3 seasons use, this was the first and last failure.

WR or RX packs only in the future.

It's easy to put the blame on a product without knowing/sharing the whole scenario.

Castle Bec Pro allows users to set output voltage from 4.8V to 12.5V with its software; it could very well be wrongly set above the servo's maximum working voltage which could easily fry them instantly.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
It's easy to put the blame on a product without knowing/sharing the whole scenario.

Castle Bec Pro allows users to set output voltage from 4.8V to 12.5V with its software; it could very well be wrongly set above the servo's maximum working voltage which could easily fry them instantly.

Carlos
7.2 volts since January 2016. Around 50 flights or so with BEC pro and MKS servos. My brothers heli so I don't have all the details of his setup. The BEC pro circuit board is charred, the positive lead desoldered itself from the circuit board. Full 6s battery voltage passed through to servos for a few milliseconds before the power lead desoldered.

We all have different experiences, some are lucky some are not. Lesson learned here was not trust a BEC with out over voltage/ cut through protection... especially with high end servos.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am still running an original BEC Pro V1 on one of my helis, must be every bit of five years old now. All my 550 size and up helis are powered by BEC Pros and have never had an issue.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Carlos
I've had several BEC pros over the last 4 years. Never an issue on 12s or 6s, although once I heard about 12s problems I converted over to 6s.

I've heard the complaints from others and the carnage that could occur but I figured not me, I've got a solid setup, well protected wire, clean builds. I should've heeded the warning.

Here's the deal. Previous night logged about 50 minutes of bench time resetting the head after a minor crash (tip over). All was well. Two days later went out to the field to fly, connected the BEC supply jumper 6s, and instantly a small pop. Felt the ec3 had arced slightly. Disconnected, tried to reconnect, but nothing. Pulled the BEC from the model and noticed immediately the positive lead had desoldered from the pcb. Cracked it open and discovered the charred mess. The realization of what happened got me thinking and concerned. I borrowed a RX pack from a fellow modeler and my worst fears were realized

Later, I was lucky to find that my 3digi FBL, Optguard, Jeti RX, and Jeti Mezon 135 ESC all survived the voltage spike. Unfortunately the MKS HBL960/990 combo did not. So $527 in servos for a $40 bec.

I'll let you draw your own conclusion. As for me, I'll never use a BEC pro again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161112_115548.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	680275  
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 03:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How reliable are CC BEC Pro's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxison View Post
I'll let you draw your own conclusion. As for me, I'll never use a BEC pro again.

Having one of the two input wires break off inside the case is possibly the number complaint. The fact of the matter is that most of the BECs are made without any strain relief to the cables.

IMO, this is not a brand specific issue. I have Castle BEC Pro in most of my models, and never had an issue in years, but as a preventive measure, I always make sure there is adequate strain relief on the wires and I firmly zip-tie the nearby wire to the frame, to act as a strain relief.

Here is a word of advice: If you don't strain-relief your cable and plug on your BEC, no matter the brand you use, the same misfortune may happen at some point. Cable management seems to be the key in this case.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Having one of the two input wires break off inside the case is possibly the number complaint. The fact of the matter is that most of the BECs are made without any strain relief to the cables.

IMO, this is not a brand specific issue. I have Castle BEC Pro in most of my models, and never had an issue in years, but as a preventive measure, I always make sure there is adequate strain relief on the wires and I firmly zip-tie the nearby wire to the frame, to act as a strain relief.

Here is a word of advice: If you don't strain-relief your cable and plug on your BEC, no matter the brand you use, the same misfortune may happen at some point. Cable management seems to be the key in this case.

Carlos
I know the difference between a desoldered connection and a broken wire. Sorry the pic doesn't do it justice.

Thanks for your insight and good luck with yours.
Flown on Jeti DS-16, Brain2, RCHN #222
MKS Servos, Scorpion Tribunus, MSH P700, Synergy e5s, N5cTT
Dmaxison is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

I Love the Castle bec pro on 6S. 7 years with no issues.
cortez jenkins sr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have had them in 5 of my helicopters all gobs and 0 issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikado Logo 700/Synergy 516\Vbar Vcontrol Touch/Neo/RCHN #612 IRCHA#5289
Iskareot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in