Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default calling all Hyperion 720i superDuo3 users/owners

So, What do you think?

I just bought one today at my LHS. It cost me 313 bucks all in. Now all I need is a decent power supply. Thinking about following Tjings Lead...

What are your opinions?

I know this thread is in the wrong place, but i'd appreciate it being left in GD for at least a few replies.. Thanks Bob.
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

excellent purchase! It's a great charger. I have bought those HP power supplies from a local ebay seller here in Toronto and they only cost me $30 for 2. Although I was planning to have 24V series setup I am currently only using one of them and it's pushing around 600w at 12V which is enough to charge 2 x 6s packs at 2C or 3C no problem. I haven't tried over 3C yet but just one of these power supplies does the job really well and doesn't even blink. Constant 12.7v on the input. Everything runs cool as well. It's very easy to modify just one but if you want to do series for 24V output there is some trickery involved (something to do with floating ground...).

belcom is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been using this charger for about a month and I love it! I use a Meanwell power supply. 24v, 63A, 1500w. (rsp-1500-24) I don't know how I went without this combo for 2 years! Love this set up!
FLYGUY 11 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

great charger! probably all ill ever need.....i run it off two server power supplies, tho they are a little noisy. i may end up going with the meanwell eventually. i like that i can be charging up a nitro receiver pack on one channel and parallellinig 4 3s2200 mah packs for my 450 on the other chnnel, at 2c!

and the software you can download from the hyperion site lets you track battery health, tho i havent really messed with it yet.

rob
guitarherowanab is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYGUY 11 View Post
I have been using this charger for about a month and I love it! I use a Meanwell power supply. 24v, 63A, 1500w. (rsp-1500-24) I don't know how I went without this combo for 2 years! Love this set up!
What size batteries are you charging with your set up?
CyberPlainsDrifter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So far its looking like I made a good decision....
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i will charge 1 6s 5000mah per side at 3c when i get my 550. 5 amps x 3c = 15 amps.
the charger puts out 20 amps per port on 24 volts. and the great thing is that you can stagger them!

when i can get more batteries, i may try 2 6s at 2c per port. thatll be 20 amps, so it may push the power supply a bit.

my 3s batteries are limited to a 2s rate, so ill charge 3 of them per port, at 2s. 2.2amps x 3 batteries = 6.6 x 2c = 13.2 amps, so i could even do 4 per port.

rob
Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am running the same PS as FLYGUY11 and it works like a monster with the SuperDuo and a Duo3+ running off of it. Charging 2 6S4500's at 20A each and 2 6S 3300's at 13 Amps, and that is all my Honda 2000i can pump out to keep the MeanWell 1500 going.
After 3 months I love my SuperDuo !!!!!

TRM Power - RC Racing Engines - - Blackout Mods Conversions - - VP Racing / Powermaster Fuels - - Gas-Powered-Helicopters.com
Doug Darby is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Do you guys remembver what you paid for the stuff? how much was the meanwell? the charger?

I payed 313.00 cnd (290ish US ???) the the 720. Still need a PS though.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i got mine from heliproz. 285 shipped. i got the parallell main and balance leads from progressive rc.

if you dont like to solder a lot and dont wanna go the server p/s route, max amps has a ready to go power supply. its just two of the server p/s, already wired up and ready to go. 80 bucks for 12v, and 160 for 24v. the server supploies arent "noisy" but they are hard to ignore if your babysuitting batteries. i hear the meanwells are quiet.....can you comment on that flyguy?

rob
Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

fan noisy or electricity buzz noisy?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

The fans are a little bit noisy. I am also looking At this charger can anyone tell me for sure how many watts it can put out with only a 12V input, this is the last piece of info I need before I am sold on one.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...v4ll229oq1k0u3
mcpx, futaba12fgh, phoenix sim
babnika is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great choice for a super charger.
I got mine a couple of months ago, and set it up with a miltary-grade 1350W PS.
I charge 2 6S 3300 packs @ 3-4C in about 15min, or parallel 6 of them @ 1C in about 40min.
This unit is worth every penny... especially if you use the logging and data features.
hndaluvr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I love this charger. I have two 47A server power supplies from feathermerchant, they work great but for charging at home at 1C I don't need the 24V. At the field I use two deep cycles in series and charge at 2C (takes ~25-29 min to charge two 6s 5000mah)

Good choice! And mine cost me about $280. Bought it from Crazy Canuck (Jeff) here on the forums.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i think you are limited to 500W total on 12v. the fans are a bit noisy, but not a real big deal, especially if you are going to field charge.

rob
Old 05-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Heheheheheeee,

I have two 12V 110W solar panels... in series thats 24 volts and 8 amps.. +/- ... Hmmm I wonder.....
Old 05-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

+2 My lovely wife bought mine for my b-day from the first batch at AMAIN. Paired it with the same (2) HP135 P/S's. Also using the Progressive parallel adapters. In addition, for those packs I still have with Deans connectors, I bought the board from HK for up to 6S.

It's taking me some usage to learn to use it, but it eventually makes logical sense, and offers very intelligent charging capabilities. I am especially happy with the dual ports. You can see pics of my setup at my gallery. I made some notes about components I found to complete the project. I am pretty happy with it so far. Feel welcome to PM with questions if I can be of help at all.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i used 2 of the dell power supply's per charger. i setup two of these boxes similar to what is found on the rcgroups thread that discusses the setup of series server power supply's.

im currently using modified lowes cases to house them but they are super flimsy and hardly holding the weight so im in search of one big box i can put all 4 of my power supply's and both chargers in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0052.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	227407

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0053.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	227408
trevjonez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

@Rob43
Thanks Brother, I will most certainly take you up on your kind offer when the time draws near. I am currently searching for some PS's. and I have a schwack of reading to do to come up to speed on lipo's. The last battery that I charged up and actually had to pay attention to was a Nicad for my RC10 buggy.. that's like 15 year ago.. at least...

@Trevjonez

Man I love the way people such as yourself have made these set ups all neat and tidy.. That is catz azz! Do you have a router table or should I say..., who cut your plexi plate with the vent holes? trippy.

Im going to make a carry case out of aluminum. Im going to cut the panels on my table. Probably use some 0.090" aluminum I have and tig t all together.. it will be a nice fire proof set up.. I've got to make some storage boxes for my boat so when i cut them i will cut the case for my charger too. Or the other way around..... I'll post pics when it happens. It should be interesting for quite a lot of guys here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in