Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 200

Hurricane 200 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Love and Frustration

I bought my H200 from one of the guys that works at the local hobby shop. I had already invested in Heli-max 100CP and then RealFlight 7 and a Blade SR 120. I must stop and give the 100CP a moment of silence. Ok continuing, I was getting the hang of orientations, collective free hovers, and some forward flight on the sim with those skills on the SR 120 not too far behind. Thats when on a visit to the hobby shop I saw the Gaui sitting on the counter and it just stole my heart. It was just a little bigger than the SR 120 and I thought it would be a good heli to learn collective pitch flying on. Besides it looked cool. I was so naive way back then. The hobby shop guy was selling it with a DX7 and a bunch of spare parts, which was too good to pass up. Or so I thought. This 3 month love affair has been decidedly one sided and very high maintenance. Not entirely her fault, though. You see I couldn't speak the language yet. Four crashes later and it took a conversion to FBL to realize the gyro and tail servo were not working properly. She was trying to tell me, but I was just not understanding. Also something was going on with the DX7 that I didn't notice. It developed a deadspot in the throttle pot just off center AFTER I had sent it in to Horizon for a basic checkup. They replaced the case and updated it free. So I didn't even consider the TX as a possible cause of the crashes. I thought it was all me and the steep learning curve everyone was saying it took to get one of these things in and keep in the air.
The most frustration in this is the waiting for the replacement parts to come in. And then waiting for replacement part to be available to order in the first place. As many parts as was given me, there was always some part that needed to be ordered. And one critical part always on backorder. So I went directly to the Gaui site to order parts. And they had everything I needed. But you have to register to order, but it wouldn't let me register. Couldn't get past the second screen. There were all the parts needed to get my baby back in the air and just out of reach. Very very frustrating. The last crash and a three week wait caused me to do the FES conversion. Less parts to break and less to order. And everything available, no backorders.
Even though I still haven't had this heli in a stable hover for more than 30 seconds outdoors, I'm still very much into it. The challenge has become personal. I MUST get my H200 to fly. Even though I have my eye on a X3 I have to master the basics first. And I AM going to do it on my H200. The H200 which has been discontinued and relegated to the bowels of HeliFreaks great forum. Where the former H200 owners have moved on to bigger and more powerful helis leaving the threads unread and unloved except by those like me who have stumbled on this great little heli.
I have done a pretty good FBL conversion, IKON, CC Talon 25, Hitec 5045HB digitals on cyclic, Hitech 5084MG on tail, with a Futaba 14SG coming in a couple days.
I have to say I have had it in a steady hover using the DX7 and the stock servos indoors for a complete pack. Longer than all my outdoor flights combined. So I have hope that this relationship has potential to still be a great one. I'm starting to understand the language.
ma9398 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This sounds all too familiar... LOL

I'm in the process of getting rid of all micro helis, but I'm keeping a 200 and a 100. can't seem to let go of these even though I hardly fly them anymore.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My 14SG came in a couple days ago. Impressive radio. Nice feel and weight to it. And so far I have had no issues with switch placement, assigning stuff to switches, mix programming, the Futaba "language", or any difficulties whatsoever. I did read the all the posts in the Futaba forum regarding the 14SG and applied the tips and programming suggestions. Then I went through the manual. I doesn't suck, but It ain't an easy read either. Screen shots to accompany the text would make things easier to understand. As far as switching over from the Spektrum sats to the futaba reciever, it was very easy. Pull the Spektrum sat, install the Futaba receiver, connect the Sbus lead, and setup the IKON. I did have to change a couple of channel assignments, because of the difference in Futaba and Spektrum, in the IKON's advanced menu, but even that was pretty simple. I did trip a bit once I got everthing hooked up in the heli. The transmitter was talking to the receiver, but the receiver wasn't speaking to the IKON. I didn't change the receiver to mode B. Once I did everybody was talking to everybody. Nice.
Because the 14SG lets you assign any function to any switch I experimented with grouping the thottle hold, throttle cut, flight modes together on the left side (i'm left handed) and the gyro, IKON bank selection on the right. While this seemed logic and easy to me it is not the default setup for helis. After reading a few more post and realizing I might need the help of an experienced pilot at some time, I setup the switches in their normal everyone-does-it-this-way places. Just need to get used to it.
Still waitnig on the HiTech digtal servos.....

Last edited by ma9398; 03-28-2014 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: forgot a detail
ma9398 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had my H200 since my early days of learning to fly helis. It's the 2nd kit I built. i still remember how quick it seemed back then.

I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, even though it's discontinued. Mine is still has flybar but tuned up nicely; CC25, Hyperion motor, Quark gyro/Ino-Lab tail servo, HS45 swash servos. Long flybar/performance paddles, CF main blades. Nano-Tech 45C batteries, Aluminum carry case...

Parts are out there with a bit of hunting. I have a small stash but I try not to crash it.

I can fly in my driveway with it, so it's kinda cool to bring it out when the mood strikes.
I also have an X2 or I'd convert the H200 to FBL.

Too bad you had initial issues, I'm sure you will enjoy it FES.
BillG is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The H200 is a very difficult bird to fly (very fast, very agile), but once you get it down it is a ton of fun. Just don't be deceived by the size-- when I bought mine I thought I could use it to fly in my backyard.... hahaha.... it takes just as much airspace as a 450 until you become an expert flyer. 3 years later I can do very slow figure 8 circuits in my yard but still need at least a school baseball diamond to toss it around.

I recently sold mine and miss her already...

Chief
BHChieftain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in