Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm thinking about getting a X5

I might get a used X5 and I have several miscellaneous questions.

1) I'm not familiar with how long Gaui typically supports models, but it seems like the X5 has been around for quite awhile now. Any predictions on when Gaui might replace it or stop making parts?
2) What is the usual crash cost? (obviously, a rough estimate is fine)
3) What is the range of effective tail blade lengths?
4) Since it is going to be used, it will likely have most components from the FES kit. Which formula upgrades actually make a difference?
5) Should any of the Gaui re-branded electronics be avoided for performance or reliability reasons?
6) A flying buddy has one, and has stripped a few gears in flight (main and TT). Is that common?

To help guide your answers, here's a little info on my intentions for it.
- This will likely be a 6S setup so it can share 4000mAh packs with my other helis. 12S does look freaking awesome though, and I would probably go that route if I was buying new, or if I found a good deal on a used one.
- I usually run pretty moderate head speeds. (Chase 360: 3000 RPM. Goblin 500: 2600 RPM. E700: 1950-2050 RPM)
- My flying style is aggressive at times. That means different things to different people, so take a look at the video below for an example if you are so inclined.

Thanks for your time folks. I really appreciate the help.

Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

hello,

I own and fly both the goblin 500 and the gaui x5.

1) the x5 has been around for a while and gone threw a couple of revisions. There are still parts available for the flybar version, and they seem to be a stable company so i would expect them to support the x5 for a good while longer.

2) IMO the crash costs would fall between the costs of the goblin 500 and the Align.

3) ive found that there is not a large range of tail blades for the x5 without shimming the back main skid. My FES kit came with plastic tail blades and they worked fine for me but i didnt fly them very long. I now fly CF 80mm tail blades (rails, zeals, edge). All have been fine for me. The biggest thing with the tail of the x5 is, its a metal rod for the rudder. So it is important to get the rod guides in a good spot and secured them to the boom well.

4) I had no problems with the FES version. however, the upgrades i do like are the formula tail (duel point pitch slider). And i like the head. It has a center pivot point and is a little lower.
There is also a battery fence and frame stiffener combo. i dont use them, but ive heard that its a good idea.

5) i had no problems with any of the electronics i used. Mine came with the low voltage servos and the old, gold case hobby wing esc.

6)I have not had any gear problems that were not from a crash. I use the copy paper method to do the motor and front tt gear mesh. Ive heard that the tail box tt gears can get damaged if you hit the ground with the tail blades during landing but i have not had this issue.

dave
One Pack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The x 5 shares a lot of parts with the x4 and nx4 so parts should be around for a while. The electronics included are fairly decent, and do work well. No reason to avoid. As for the gear stripping, the torque tube gears do strip if set incorrectly and not maintained. A lot of guys change them every 100 flights to be safe. As for the main gear, was your friend using the red gear or the black one? They don't strip much since I don't see many reports but I'm not actually sure so I started a thread.
Yfbb is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well here's the results of losing the tail at almost a full collective tail down upright funnel. Went in fairly hard into dirt. But no frame damage, boom, TT, main blades, main and feathering shafts, a few odd bearings. Quite a few people were amazed at how tough it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436422043.021632.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	595553
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbheliusr View Post
Well here's the results of losing the tail at almost a full collective tail down upright funnel. Went in fairly hard into dirt. But no frame damage, boom, TT, main blades, main and feathering shafts, a few odd bearings. Quite a few people were amazed at how tough it is.

Attachment 595553
Dayum! That's some good news.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yfbb View Post
As for the main gear, was your friend using the red gear or the black one?
I'm not sure. One of each maybe.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's like old John Cameron Swayze use to say. "It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin"
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one Ive been thinking about selling.
AlGauix5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sent you a PM iammenotu.
AlGauix5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back to the gear stripping. I crashed my x5 and stripped the gear. However, it was my fault. Pin your boom if it isn't already once you get your x5.
Yfbb is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2015, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

the goblin and X5 have a simular feel IMO the goblin feels allot like a stiff flying X5

i definitely like the X5 better and it seems to be less expensive to crash. i think the goblin looks a little bigger in the air though bu they are roughly the same size.

i have had my x5 probably going on 5 years now. they have came out with updated X5 models but still have parts for the old FES X5, formula parts are pretty much just pretty and do not make it fly any better. now they did come out with a new head and tail for the X5 those are very nice but i am very content flying my X5 without them. it has always been a amazing helicopter and flys like a dream. i actually have mroe fun with the X5 than i ever had with a 700 i used to own, the 700 did fly a little better but it was just not as fun for some reason.

crash cost 50-100 bucks in parts plus a set of blades. some times less than that. its pretty tough..

i have only stripped a TT gear once or twice during a hard tail hit. if you are stripping it in flight you have let the gear wear down to much from use or you did not have the gear mesh correct. usually every 2 years or so i replace the TT gears because the look a little worn down and i have had loads of flights on the thing.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in