Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Assault 700 Maiden Finally!!!!

Hey guys so I finally did it! I finally got my 700 in the air. The video will be boring for you guys it's just me hovering, tail in hovering at that, but hey, It was a freaking blast for me.

I will say this, because of some of the communication with a few individuals on here I had actually gotten to the point where I was almost scared to fly this heli. In the end I decided I was just going to do it. I was confident in my ability to at least get it in the air and hover it tail in. Life lesson learned.

On another note I was actually suprised how much easier it was to fly this heli. She felt alot more stable A lot more locked in so to speak, if that is the right phrase. If it is like that across the board with the larger heli's I do not understand why so many recommend starting with smaller harder to fly models? Other than the fact they are more dangerous and cost more to crash, if someone has learned the proper safety procedures and has a safe place to fly it and has the wallet to fix it and doesn't mind, why not? Doesn't it raise there chances of being successful and staying with the hobby? Not wanting to start a soap box here, and I am sure I will get some OMG YOUR RECKLESS comments but what can ya do?

I definitely enjoyed it more than the 450. Not saying I dont like my 450 but I knew in the end I would like the 700 better! Charging batteries right now so I can go get her back in the air.

Man what a feeling! Glad I trusted my gut!

I also talk at the end had a question for you guys!

Assault 700 Maiden!! (5 min 3 sec)
jtroutt19 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations ! Well done Sir !

Exactly the feeling I knew you would experience after flying your 450.(360)
You had obviously prepared well , and had the right flying site and it was time to let her rip in my opinion.
It wasn't that long ago when larger machines were the only option available.

Looking at your 'back-yard' , I'd like to bet your 700 sees more air than your 450 in the months to come. The bigger the better !!
eXo BD3SX Torq/BK HW ,Warp-Spirit/GeoLink MKS , #2 Warp-Spirit KST. iX12
Van Scott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What a feeling! I am still high from that! My 450 once I get it totally fixed will still see alot of flight time because it is portable and going to be in my car at all times but when I get the chance to fly my 700 it is going to be my first choice. Also, Thank you Van!
Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome! Looks very stable.

I'm excited for the day I fly my first 700. I've only gotten up to 600mm so far

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah me too! Can't wait for a bigger bird.
lbv61 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only thing you could check would be your swash level as regards to drift Tyler. That and CoG !
You could simply put a turn on the rear Elevator Linkage rod regardless to make it longer to see if that evens things out in hover if CoG (and level Swash) checks out.
eXo BD3SX Torq/BK HW ,Warp-Spirit/GeoLink MKS , #2 Warp-Spirit KST. iX12

Last edited by Van Scott; 02-19-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Van Scott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Causes of leaning back: wind, CoG is tail heavy, swash not level.

You have an Ikon on there right?

Sometimes even if swash is level it may require a turn or two on the swash to servo links to correct a drift. But don't bother adjusting links unless you are flying in zero wind.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congrats, Country living, I long for it. Seeing your near indy, Im from Kokomo myself. But been in the sweatland for years now. Im hearing the sounds of Freedom in the back ground, lol (Rifle). your video just reminded me of home and i thank you.. one day i will be back..
Altered is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hopefully no one rips in with the perspective that this is not safe or is reckless...

He came on here just a few weeks ago, never having flown a CP heli... and has now built, tuned and hovered a 700 safely.

This guy learned all that from us as a community, and even contributed as well! I think, he is prepared and willing to be giving back every chance he gets.

Excellent job!
gunny_jeeves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is not a bad drift at all. but enough to notice it. I guess it could of been the wind. I need to turn the thing and see if it follows the tail. I will check my swash level yet again and see. So, just to make sure I got this right the COG is supposed to follow the main shaft correct? I tried shifting my batteries forward about an inch for my second flight to see if that would help. It didnt. Yes I have the IKON on it. I the tail had the littlest of oscillation to it, A very small bump of gain corrected that. Freaking amazing!!!!!! Tomorrow is gonna be a great day, just because i got to fly this thing!
Yes I flew it again!!! I can't get enough! Why does the sun gotta go down damnit! I gotta get more batteries and a better charger! I did a bit different stuff the second flight I took it up a bit higher and rotated it back and forth Ive read post's about these blades I am using being loud. I know I dont have any experience with other blades but man I couldn't imaging doing tic toks with these things they would be deafening! Oh and just because I mentioned tic toks doesnt mean I am planing on trying them any time soon. Just thought I would throw that out there so nobody twists my words. I am gonna combine both videos and repost it. Stay tuned!.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered View Post
Congrats, Country living, I long for it. Seeing your near indy, Im from Kokomo myself. But been in the sweatland for years now. Im hearing the sounds of Freedom in the back ground, lol (Rifle). your video just reminded me of home and i thank you.. one day i will be back..
My mom lives up in russiaville! They are always shooting around here. I here everything from small arms fire to automatic rifles to large caliber rifles. I swear I heard a .50cal the other day! I am originally from Texas. Lived in the country there to. Both places are my home so I am torn. I totally understand where you are coming from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny_jeeves View Post
Hopefully no one rips in with the perspective that this is not safe or is reckless...

He came on here just a few weeks ago, never having flown a CP heli... and has now built, tuned and hovered a 700 safely.

This guy learned all that from us as a community, and even contributed as well! I think, he is prepared and willing to be giving back every chance he gets.

Excellent job!

Hey jeeves,
This forum, this community has been instrumental in me learning and will continue to be. I will do what I can to give back as that is the only appropriate course of action. I am ready for the not safe and reckless comments. I know they are coming. In the end though people do not know how I do things, they dont know my process, they dont know how much reading i've done, How much talking to people, How much research on things that can go wrong, both things you can control and things you can't. There will always be people have an opinion that you are doing something wrong. Opinions are like assholes....everyone has one and some stink, some dont, some are dirty, some are nice and bleached, some are hairy and some are bald as a baby, some are worn out, etc....etc.... I may not like your "asshole" but I appreciate that you have one of your own!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good job!

If you have the Ikon 2, I would recommend you go look at vibrations at a minimum and if you haven't set anything to log, turn it on and check a few items to look at after your next flight. Just a suggestion. I always set my logging first thing to check gov reaction, headspeed, etc (if you used the fbl gov).

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

For as new as you are to this, landing on that small pad was an awesome task, well done. I'd suggest building yourself a larger area. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything, just work on smoothing out an area right where you are hovering now.

It looked very smooth. I agree with the above comment, don't try to adjust the swash till you have a day without wind. If you do make any adjustments, just make them small see what it does. Typically if it isn't to bad, I just fly till I have a good day with little wind to fine tune. This is all based on the assumption that you have got the CG good.

I see you live near Indianapolis, you have to make your way to IRCHA in August, you will see things and flying that will literally knock your socks off.

Great job, be safe and have fun!!!
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

If CoG is fine then as Van Scott suggested just lengthen the elevator link a turn.

Even if swash is level on the bench. I have seen it before, level swash perfectly, check 3 times and still an inexplicable slight lean in a hover that is only fixed by adjusting link lengths.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Epic!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Jrman,
Thanks a lot unfortunately I dont have the IKON 2. It is on my list of things to get because I feel naked without logging to be honest. I have this insatiable need to be able to know what is going on with my models when they are in the air.... I was very disappointed when I learned that the IKON's I had didnt have it. That being said I do have a Bluetooth module I can hook up I would just have to steal it from my camera drone. No big deal though they are cheap enough
Old 02-19-2017, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

well done. lucky you I have been at it for years and never flown anything bigger than my 520mm logo. I'd like to try a 700 one day!

btw don't take it as a negative regarding the safety comments. they all mean well and you being new just wanted to ensure you knew there were big risks with a machine this size.
people have been killed by these, make no mistake. Roman Pirozek (sorry if I mis-spelt the last name) was the most recent one I know of, in the US.
safety is a lot about awareness of risk, and making others aware. but credit to you, you seem to have a good attitude towards this and have achieved a lot in a short amount of time. stay safe, be aware and fly within your limits of your ability with the 700.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

That was excellent ! I've really been looking forward to the Assault maiden, glad it went so well, and that you nailed the building and set up.
Bigger is much easier to fly IMO, if head speed not silly high then everything seems to be in slow motion compared to 450. My Assault just got airborne again last week after a fairly heavy crash,( completely my fault) and I have resolved to fly more carefully in future!
grasshopper2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydeity View Post
well done. lucky you I have been at it for years and never flown anything bigger than my 520mm logo. I'd like to try a 700 one day!

btw don't take it as a negative regarding the safety comments. they all mean well and you being new just wanted to ensure you knew there were big risks with a machine this size.
people have been killed by these, make no mistake. Roman Pirozek (sorry if I mis-spelt the last name) was the most recent one I know of, in the US.
safety is a lot about awareness of risk, and making others aware. but credit to you, you seem to have a good attitude towards this and have achieved a lot in a short amount of time. stay safe, be aware and fly within your limits of your ability with the 700.
Hey Bundy I welcome the comments about safety, There is a good possibility that someone knows something I don't. Just dont be judgmental in the process! I have seen the pictures from the guy in new york. It was part of my I want a visual of what these things can do campaign. And seeing something like that kind of etches into your brain. It will help me not be lax and to always remember to check and double check and triple check. To ask questions no matter what, and to help push the importance of safety in our hobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper2 View Post
That was excellent ! I've really been looking forward to the Assault maiden, glad it went so well, and that you nailed the building and set up.
Bigger is much easier to fly IMO, if head speed not silly high then everything seems to be in slow motion compared to 450. My Assault just got airborne again last week after a fairly heavy crash,( completely my fault) and I have resolved to fly more carefully in future!

I am glad it went well too! Everything was just so smooth! The second flight was even better!
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very happy for you, buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jorgeurizar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in