Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tomstoy2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ikon fbl servo compatability and what setting in controller

hello i was looking up fbl's and servos and looking at ikon list it has futaba s3151 https://servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3151 and s3152 https://servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3152

these are both preety low speck servos i would be lucky useing them in a 1/10 car let alone a heli.

now to my question, i got s3050 https://servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s3050 here i scavanged out of a gaui 550 huricane. the s3050 being better specked then both the 3151 and 3152 should be fine to use on a fbl set up y/n

also what setting would i use in the ikon cyclic servo selection. would i select the unlisted option or select the s3151 from the list since mine are so close but a tad better.

i only plan to run them at 6v with a bec like i was last time

my tail servo will be a futaba 9254 (the one that came with a g401) and useing a voltage regulator to drop the volts down or just run the whole system at 4.8v/5v through the ubec
paulioq is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, those must be old servo’s. I couldn’t find the frequency spec’s, but a general rule on Futaba is 1520/200.
My concern would be the torque, as in what you are putting it in and your flying style.

Tail servo is fine. Did it myself for years. 1520/333.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah would be 10years old i think maybe a bit more. the last time i flew the 2000's were still in single digits. but there low use and good working servos would like to get some use out of them if i can.

plan to use it on a synergy n5c i plan on buying in the near future or maybe a n556 and stretch it. but think the push pull lever of the n5c might be better for useing a lower spec servo then trying to make them direct to swash like on the n556. i can see on the direct to swash you would want the extra tourque but with a push pull lever you get a mechanical advantage.

i want to use some 600mm funkey blades i have here and runing an os50 hyper and curtis young blood pipe. i dont expect it to fly like a power house but should be able to duplicate the power and performance of my old raptor50. its still the same motor pushing the same blades just in a different airframe.

might do a loop and a barrel roll and some inverted hover or a rainbow. dont think i'll get a mobious or tick tok out of it but i'm not there yet with my flying skill so i wont notice it.

should be a bit of power gain anyway not haveing to spin a flybar, that power can go into the blades now.

thanks for the answer i suspected as much but wanted to here from some one who has actually done it for comfirmation. i hate finding out after doing a chicken dance doh
Old 12-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

For older digital servos, just set them to 1520mS &156Hz
I wouldn't try to run them at a high refresh rate - it is just wasting power.

The refresh rate has nothing to do with getting maximum transit speed or torque from a servo.
The refresh rate basically effects the position holding of the servo when it is under a load.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like a fun project! She’ll be fine.
paulioq likes this.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulioq View Post
yeah would be 10years old i think maybe a bit more. the last time i flew the 2000's were still in single digits. but there low use and good working servos would like to get some use out of them if i can.

plan to use it on a synergy n5c i plan on buying in the near future or maybe a n556 and stretch it. but think the push pull lever of the n5c might be better for useing a lower spec servo then trying to make them direct to swash like on the n556. i can see on the direct to swash you would want the extra tourque but with a push pull lever you get a mechanical advantage.

i want to use some 600mm funkey blades i have here and runing an os50 hyper and curtis young blood pipe. i dont expect it to fly like a power house but should be able to duplicate the power and performance of my old raptor50. its still the same motor pushing the same blades just in a different airframe.

might do a loop and a barrel roll and some inverted hover or a rainbow. dont think i'll get a mobious or tick tok out of it but i'm not there yet with my flying skill so i wont notice it.

should be a bit of power gain anyway not haveing to spin a flybar, that power can go into the blades now.

thanks for the answer i suspected as much but wanted to here from some one who has actually done it for comfirmation. i hate finding out after doing a chicken dance doh
I have a 556 and a 606
I also have a os55 and os50

The 50 works pretty well in the 556 but I didnt try it in the 606 considering it was just enough power for med/hard 3d in the 556. The 556 with some older, corless servos (1 to 1.75oz each) comes in pretty light at 7.5 lbs and feels great. You could fly/3d that bird for a long time before you run out of hp.

My 606 has a os55 in it with alum cased bls servos and tips the scales at 8lbs. Flys perfect with plenty of power. Only step up from here is a 700 nitro.

A 606 with a os50 and light servos would be pretty floaty and fun to fly. Enough power to do tic tocs and piroflips, rain bows. just with a little less speed is all. This would be more power/performance then your raptor 50.

Do your self a favor and dump that youngblood pipe. There hard to tune and when you do find the sweet spot theres not much more power there then a muffler. Find a os powerboost. Super easy to tune and has great power/run time. The single needle carb works pretty good and is easy to tune but, I think they run a bit lean in hover when its cold and a bit rich when its hot out. Get a 2 needle carb when you get a handle on tuning. Your motor will love you for it.
Deadpony is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2020, 05:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

S3050 are still available, found the specs at German Futaba distributor: RipMax (link) - only availably in German, but for sure you can let it translate btw: S9254 specs are available too (there).

... they are rather slow and maybe a bit weak for 600 blades - but it should work. fbl setting of 1520/200 as someone already posted should be a safe bet for Futaba cyclics.

Ciao
Michael
Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

thank you every one for replying. all good stuff. its purly an economic decision so i can get a bird up flying for cheap, i dont belive you always got to reach in to your pocket with this hobby. i'm also getting back into the sport after a long time. if the heli is a bit slow and floatie will be ok for me as long as it has nice cyclic reponse(yes a contradiction of terms).

i got the new realflight 9.5 and recently an omp m2 explore with a new nx6 radio to get my hand eye dialed in again but i'm already flying around in the omp. its of its head and put in a heap of dual rate and expo to settle it down. but with low head loading it also feels a little floatie.

due to being tighter then a snakes a$$hole i'll start with the curtis pipe just to get flying i might keep my ear to the ground for a second hand pipe in the mean time. i also want to use up a heap of old blades i have here

i am leaning towards the n556 because i have some sets of carbon blades here made by heli-max but being for a flybar head not sure if they will handle the 2400 headspeed with out bifercating and turning into 2 boomarangs as they part way with the heli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in