Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Adding a cooling fan to a charging box

I have a tool box that I keep my 24v power supply in and would like to add a cooling fan to the box. The power supply is made from two server power supplies. Should I get a 24v fan? And do I just wire it into the out put wires of the supply? The box is plastic if that maters.
Thank you.
ranchhand is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get either a 12V or 24V DC fan and wire it directly to the 12V or 24V output of your server PSUs. It should not be a problem.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ok, I'll go to RadioShack and see what they have. Thank you.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can get 12V computer fans fairly cheap. You can then hook it up to the grounded 12V supply.

I am doing this and it works great. You can also get 12V LED fans in various colours if you want to add the bling factor. These are the ones I'm using: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=057594
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Millar View Post
You can get 12V computer fans fairly cheap. You can then hook it up to the grounded 12V supply.

I am doing this and it works great. You can also get 12V LED fans in various colours if you want to add the bling factor. These are the ones I'm using: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=057594
Do you have them pushing or pulling or both? This is a tool box with the PS tie wrapped in the bottom and the charger is on the tool tray.
I'll put up a pic.
There is room on both sides for air flow past the tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	499968  
Old 04-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running 4 fans, 2 are pushing and two are pulling.

Just make sure that when you install them you match the airflow direction that the PS fans are running. The computer fans have arrows stamped on the outside to show you the rotation direction, and air flow direction.
These fans are quiet and keep my supplies very cool. If you do a quick google search you can also find templates to use for cutting the hole in your box.

Here is the template I used for the fan in the link. http://www.techimo.com/forum/attachm...80mm_fan-1.jpg
Old 04-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got most of the parts, fans and grill along with connectors, from Digikey. They have everything you could need.

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...1179730?k=fans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in