Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 630/700/770

SAB Goblin 630/700/770 SAB Heli Division 630/700/770 - Goblin Helicopters Factory Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Goblin 700 Build Thread (refer to 1st post for latest information)

Hi guys I was lucky enough to acquire one of the early demo kits in the USA. All of these demo kits will show up at the Las Vegas funfly happening in 2 weeks! Come out and check them out.

This is the build thread of my Goblin 700 featuring photos, setup and in-flight data.

My proposed setup:

- Goblin 700
- Stock main and tail blades
- Futaba BLS351's for the swashplate
- Futaba BLS256HV for the tail
- Hercules super BEC at 8.4V
- Vbar standard size 5.2 Pro
- YGE 120HV ESC (16s version) + Vbar governor
- Hacker Turnado 400kv + 22T pulley
- 16s3800mAh for 3D flying at 2150rpm
- 14s3300mAh for slow headspeed 3D flying at 1800rpm
- Futaba TX and RX

26 Feb 2012 --> I have reached to the final steps of the chassis assembly. I am still waiting for electronics to come in. The electronic installation/setup will come later. Throughout the build, I have faced 1 issue so far: the spring used for spring-loading the belt tensioner would pop out of the crank arm when one tried to load the spring by rotating the crank arm. I simply fixed it by a piece of tooth pick inserted in the hole to act as a wedge to hole the spring-end in, then a drop of CA would weld everything in.

I did add extra 0.2mm shims on each side of the blade grips (one on each) to preload the dampeners as recommended by the SAB team.

One note to the factory: all pre-assembled parts indeed had threadlocker where needed but the assembling person seemed to over use the threadlocker. In my blade grip assembly, the threadlocker were more than enough; hence, the excess seeped in between the bearings and the shaft. It took some work to heat up the whole thing so I could take it apart.

Now come the build photos:

March 3rd 2012 --> 12s setup testing with the new Quantum 4530 500KV motor!

I have been waiting for some final electronics to come to finish the build. I got everything except for the YGE 120A 16s version (because I want to run a 16s setup). The ESC is not coming in another week so I decided to strap a 12s setup onto it for now:

Kontroniks HeliJive 120A
Quantum 4530 500KV motor (this is soon to be bundled with the kit)
Pulse 12s4500mAh 45C

Due to a little time I have right now and the weather has not been favorable, I only had a 2 minute flight yesterday with a few punch-outs and flips. Everything went successfully. Little do I know about it is that the collective is BALLISTIC! I was running only 12 degrees of pitch and 1900rpm, and the thing shots up the sky effortlessly! Don't forget to mention the quantum 4530 500KV definitely has a huge load of torque in it!

This weekend, I will be testing this setup more with detail information about the in-flight current draw, wattage and headspeed.

Besides, I have a few statistics for you guys: RTF weight without batteries = 3450g. This is with the HeliJive 120A which is a relatively light ESC (built-in BEC), and the 570g Quantum motor. The manual states 3290g (not sure with what setup). The Trex700e weighs pretty much in the same range.

For more information about the quantum motor, please visit: http://www.facebook.com/quantummotors

13 Mar 2012

Today I finally had some chance to fly my Goblin. I did totally 5 flights. I started to enjoy it more. Here is the report:

- Flight characteristics: For cyclic/ collective I didn't like it at first. I wanted it to be smooth, graceful and still do good smacks (like the logo 600). The goblin was solid but too STIFF. Too stiff to the point that the maneuvers were hard to carry out smoothly and gracefully. This is because of the goblin's extra stiff/rigid dampeners.
To adjust it to my like, I had to lower the Vbar main rotor gain to the 50's and still deviate from this point to improve it. Besides, the style value was high medium. With new Vbar settings, I started to like it much more!

At first with stock Vbar tail settings (tail gain was 70), the tail performance was poor under side way loops. The stopping power was not good either. I went ahead and raised the I-gain to 75 (I-gain kills the steady state errors hence helps stop power). My main gain was adjusted to mid 60s and it started to perform much better. No more loose tail in sideway loops and stopping power was strong and nice. Moreover, in very fast forward flight, the tail did not "shake" as much!
- Flight data: originally I wanted to run a 14s setup but I had problems with the ESC so I put this setup on hold. I have been running a 12s setup instead.
HeliJive 120HV with internal Governor @ 2100 headpseed
Quantum 4530-500KV motor + 22T pinion
12s batteries. One is 4500mAh 35C, the other is 12s5000mAh 45C.

With the 12s5000 packs flight time was better, the heli felt more powerful and I definitely liked it more. Here are the 2 graphs, one is for each battery.

The HeliJive did a good job in holding the headspeed. However, I still like the Vbar Governor better. I haven't setup Vbar governor on my Goblin (will do soon), but on my Protos 450 and Logo 600, it outperformed the Kontronik. Vbar Governor has a much better collective feel.

The quantum motor worked GREAT. It generates tons of power when I need and still doesn't drain much battery energy. On average, it consumes about 820mAh/min at 12s voltage. With a 5000mAh pack and 80% rule, with my flying style I would be safely able to get 4 mins and 4.5mins if I want to push it. I was pushing 6600-6700watts.
Bottom line, I started to like my Goblin more and more. I still have to find the sweet spots on both head settings and tail settings. I am looking for a good smack machine but still does smooth and graceful maneuvers. Power seems more than enough for general 3D purposes with the current setup.

Stay tuned for more reports!

Last edited by ChrisH; 03-14-2012 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Updated at request of Long
Long Nguyen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome!
NevB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice work Long!
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Awesome thread Long.... can't wait to see this bad boy at the field.
blueprint is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 06:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Regarding the little spring, if you have the orientation correctly and you wind the spring up to position it correctly for providing tension then it should not pop out of it's two little holes. So make sure you have it orientated correctly as the manual is a little vague on this.

Did you find the cutouts in the canopy to be straight and symmetrical?
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
Regarding the little spring, if you have the orientation correctly and you wind the spring up to position it correctly for providing tension then it should not pop out of it's two little holes. So make sure you have it orientated correctly as the manual is a little vague on this.
The spring pop out in any case: the hole is too large. I used a small wedge for keeping it in the hole.
alexvan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

With my model I made 15 flights without wedge... never exit the spring.
ste_23_66 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste_23_66 View Post
With my model I made 15 flights without wedge... never exit the spring.
In my case the spring pop out as soon as I try to preload the tensioner. Do you have the hole on the side showed in the Sab video or on the side showed in the photo above?
alexvan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location
Default Spring...

The spring would NOT pop out if I loaded it less than 270 degrees clockwise but it was on the verge of popping out. So a wedge should be added for extra security. The hole is indeed too big.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default ESC bay dimensions

The ESC compartment seems big enough for all brands I have seen (not sure for the new Kosmic). My measures came in to be: width ~ 58mm, length ~ 90mm, height at the front end = 44mm, height at the back end = 34mm.

Note: these measurements are for the lower battery tray position, meaning bigger battery compartment. If one used the higher position meaning less space for the battery, there would be more room for the ESC.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post

Did you find the cutouts in the canopy to be straight and symmetrical?
Mine came in totally/very close to straight and symmetrical. The drawing on either side of the canopy meets up nicely in the middle.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Nguyen View Post
The ESC compartment seems big enough for all brands I have seen (not sure for the new Kosmic). My measures came in to be: width ~ 58mm, length ~ 90mm, height at the front end = 44mm, height at the back end = 34mm.

Note: these measurements are for the lower battery tray position, meaning bigger battery compartment. If one used the higher position meaning less space for the battery, there would be more room for the ESC.
Perfect, thanks! So the Ice2 160HV just fits with 3mm to spare!
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Long, Great work!
I have a motor for you to try....
realrc74 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Nguyen View Post

thanks for the measurement had asked for the same thing on another thread

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=388702
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice thread and pics Long!

Big Fil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the Goblin 700 a bit small being a 90 sized machine?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

More please mf
kydoan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for all the detailed pics.
Kontronik Drives
Justin Stuart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent photos!

Are you a professional photographer?

And, the heli parts look really good...
Old 03-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Update...

I have been waiting for some final electronics to come to finish the build. I got everything except for the YGE 120A 16s version (because I want to run a 16s setup). The ESC is not coming in another week so I decided to strap a 12s setup onto it for now:

Kontroniks HeliJive 120A
Quantum 4530 500KV motor (this is soon to be bundled with the kit)
Pulse 12s4500mAh 45C

Due to a little time I have right now and the weather has not been favorable, I only had a 2 minute flight yesterday with a few punch-outs and flips. Everything went successfully. Little do I know about it is that the collective is BALLISTIC! I was running only 12 degrees of pitch and 1900rpm, and the thing shots up the sky effortlessly! Don't forget to mention the quantum 4530 500KV definitely has a huge load of torque in it!

This weekend, I will be testing this setup more with detail information about the in-flight current draw, wattage and headspeed.

Besides, I have a few statistics for you guys: RTF weight without batteries = 3450g. This is with the HeliJive 120A which is a relatively light ESC (built-in BEC), and the 570g Quantum motor. The manual states 3290g (not sure with what setup). The Trex700e weighs pretty much in the same range.

For more information about the quantum motor, please visit: http://www.facebook.com/quantummotors

Stay tuned for more reports!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in