Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters > Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos

Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Compass Compass 7HV, 7HVU and Chronos Model Helicopter Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 7HV Setup

How 'bout it guys? A 7HV setup thread. I'll start. Please feel welcome to suggest alternatives:
  • 7HV FBL
  • Stock motor, main blades
  • Punch RC ESC (programming interface??)
  • Mikado V Bar Full Size 5.1 Pro
  • Hyperion Phase Sensor
  • WR Hercules Super BEC
  • JR DS8717's on Swash
  • JR DS8900 on tail
  • KBDD 104 t/r blades
  • Gens Ace 6S5300 30C x 2
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

7HV FBL
Stock Motor
PunchRC 120HV Esc
Stock Blades / 693mm Edge FBL
Mikado Vbar Full Size 5.1 Pro
Hyperion Phase Sensor
Futaba BLS451 @ 8v on Cyclic
Outrage Torq BLS9188 @ 8v on Tail
Edge 105 Tail Blades
Voltz 2500mah RX Pack
Old 06-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here's what mine would be like:
  • 7HV FBL
  • Stock motor
  • Punch RC ESC w/programming interface
  • Mikado V Bar Full Size 5.1 Pro -or- BeastX
  • Hyperion Phase Sensor
  • WR Hercules Super BEC
  • JR DS8917's or Outrage Torq 9088's on Swash
  • Outrage Torq 9188 on tail
  • KBDD 104 t/r blades
  • Gens Ace 6S5300 30C x 8, Sky Lipo 6S 5100 40C X 8
- I really like my HobbyWing ESC's so the Punch one should be ok (if their record still stands)
- I still haven't tried a Vbar, but if it works as well as they say it does, I would love to try the governor function., otherwise it's BeastX all the way! I've tried a few different machines with the MBX on there and it's an extremely capable and consistant piece of equipment.
- Can't say I know anything about the phase sensor, but what the heck...why not?
-Super BEC is badass on my 6HV, so it's an obvious choice.
- I was torn on the Torq servos -VS- the JR 8917's. I took the Torqs and am not regretting it one bit. They're incredibly quiet and smooth and you definitely can't complain about the torque. The JR's definitely are faster, but paired up to to an FBL unit and they all feel the same (speed-wise anyways [8717's, 610's, Ino-lab 760's, Torq's]). Even if the Torq's aren't the "best" out there, they sure as heck look wickedly awesome!!! The ruby red cases set them well apart from the crowd.
- I don't think it gets any better than the 9188 on the tail. At 8V, it's got an incredible amount of torque and ridiculous speed. So far, it's the only tail servo I've found to be as good, if not, better than my 8900G's, plus you can run the 9188 on straight 2S, so no step-downs or other fandangled gear to worry about failing.
- KBDD's are kick-butt for sure and I'm digging the heck out of the new EE's.
- I got to rip on some Sky lipos this weekend on my 6HV (3300 40C's) and they are pretty incredible. They already had over 20-30 cycles on them and felt brand-new. Much better than any other battery I've tried so far in my bigger machine(s) so I definitely give them a high vote of confidence. Haven't had a chance to try the Gen Aces yet, so cannot comment.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine would be pretty much as Tim describes with minor changes:

* 7HV FBL
* Stock motor
* Punch RC ESC w/programming interface
* Mikado V Bar Full Size 5.1 Pro
* WR Hercules Super BEC
* JR DS8917'
* JR 8900G on tail
* KBDD 104 t/r blades
*JR921 Receiver w/two satellites

For batteries I will probably run the Punch R/C batteries.

The V-Bar and servos are here and standing by, waiting for the release of the 7HV.

In the meantime-practice, practice, practice!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Mine will be as follows :

* 7HV FBL
* Stock motor
* Stock blades
* Hobbywing 120A HV ESC
* BeastX or CGY 750
* CC BEC Pro with extra reciever pack
* Savox 1257 on cyclic
* Savox 1290 MG on tail
* KBDD 104 t/r blades
* Futaba SBUS reciever R6203SB

For batteries I will use Turnigy's.

And just as Ah Clem eagerly awaiting the release of this beast

Grtz,
Dirk
Dflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
Mikado V Bar Full Size 5.1 Pro
JR921 Receiver w/two satellites
Why the receiver? Just curious . I went none receiver (just 2 satellites) on both of my Compass ships and it works flawless.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I definitely wouldn't trust satellites only on anything bigger than a 450 or 500. Sure it probably works, but for some it's not worth the risk. $1500+ and upwards of 10lbs-13lbs of angry helicopter flying around deserves much more respect IMHO. Not trying to knock your setup whatsoever Crawl, just saying what his reasonings will undoubtedly be (I know Richard pretty well).

I fly with an AR6200 on my 6HV when most people wouldn't touch that RX with a 10' pole (so I understand where you're coming from at least). I run it on 8.4V, so I'm pushing it that much more than "most" people would consider acceptable. However, the 700 would be a different monster all on its own and I have seen too many sats. fail to trust them 100%.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post
I definitely wouldn't trust satellites only on anything bigger than a 450 or 500. Sure it probably works, but for some it's not worth the risk. $1500+ and upwards of 10lbs-13lbs of angry helicopter flying around deserves much more respect IMHO. Not trying to knock your setup whatsoever Crawl, just saying what his reasonings will undoubtedly be (I know Richard pretty well).

I fly with an AR6200 on my 6HV when most people wouldn't touch that RX with a 10' pole (so I understand where you're coming from at least). I run it on 8.4V, so I'm pushing it that much more than "most" people would consider acceptable. However, the 700 would be a different monster all on its own and I have seen too many sats. fail to trust them 100%.
Yeah to each their own, I was just curious. I have had 0 sat issues since I started flying, 0 issues with just sats on the Vbar on my 6hv, and my buddy has just sat's on an Aurora E90. Along with the tons of other builds I have seen posted on 90E machines with no RX, so I feel pretty confident with it .
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworx View Post

There is no difference between flying two satellites with a VBar and flying a standalone receiver with one satellite. You still have exactly the same number of receivers and instead of the AR6200 performing the channel demultiplexing, the VBar handles it. In fact, it's better in some regards because you have more options for getting both receivers away from interference and shadowing.

Richard is talking about using 3 receivers essentially, which I can sort of understand on an airframe the size of a 700. I'd probably still use two satellites, strategically placed.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem is using BeastX which support only one sat (for heli 250-450). But with vstabi there is no problem about range using 2 sats. Also now that dsmx sats are out i heard that they works really better even if used in dsm2 mode, vstabi seems to log a lot less to none "antenna switch".

I use vstabi from a lot of time since v3.6 and i have used sat since first support release. No problems so far only two times i have to rebind but i think that the weak part of sat is the cable. I have changed it.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The question was why Richard was using a separate receiver with his VBar instead of just using satellites. I agree that a BeastX on this size of heli warrants a separate receiver, at least until they can get support for a second satellite added.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crawl,

"Why the receiver? Just curious . I went none receiver (just 2 satellites) on both of my Compass ships and it works flawless."

I am sure it does and I do not questions your set up either Crawl.

Tim said it better than I could have (above). What he described is exactly how I feel about it.

"Richard is talking about using 3 receivers essentially, which I can sort of understand on an airframe the size of a 700. I'd probably still use two satellites, strategically placed."

Alan nailed it too.

I have the main rx and two satellite Rx's on my Odin, and the main Rx and three satellite Rx'x on the Raptor 90 3D (it has a JR1221 Rx in it which allows three satellites).

uragano47812,

"But with vstabi there is no problem about range using 2 sats."

Range is not the issue. Even the "Parkflier" receivers have superb range. The issue is "shadowing" (i.e. a conductive structure of the helicopter-motor, battery, CF side frame, etc.-getting between the signal source (transmitter) and the very small receiver antennae).

I try to go overkill on BEC's, receivers, servos, anything that might increase the reliability and safety, even a small amount. I overdo it, and realize that, but considering the amount of damage these machines could do, I would rather err on the side of caution.

The fact that I am representing two manufacturers and want to demonstrate their equipment in as positive a light as possible also motivates me towards making sure the machines and electronics are as safe and reliable as possible.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
There is no difference between flying two satellites with a VBar and flying a standalone receiver with one satellite.
Agreed. I wasn't saying that the sats are less capable of recieving and demodulating the signals, but I have had a few of them go belly up on me in flight before, so I'm much less apt to trust them. In this instance, it's the only problem I've ever had with Spektrum/JR radio gear so it's a little bit overkill. I'm a mixed bag when it comes to reliabllity (I've flown a 30 nitro on an AR6100 many times as well as a 600E which a big no-no) however, I wouldn't go fooling around with a 700 size because of the shear devastation they can dole out when they come crashing down (I've almost been hit by not one, but two Trex 700's). not that a 550 or 600 should be held in any less regard, I just don't fear them as much since I'm used to them. Complacency kills and I don't think I trust myself to set one up without worrying it back to the ground and never flying it unless it's absolutely "bullet-proof", if you know what I mean.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great input, I can certainly understand your reasons!
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Agreed. I wasn't saying that the sats are less capable of receiving and demodulating the signals, but I have had a few of them go belly up on me in flight before"

The cable from the main receiver to the satellites is fragile where the wires enter it.

I have had one of these (cables) fail also.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
The cable from the main receiver to the satellites is fragile where the wires enter it.
Shoe goo works wonders as a strain relief in that case. I have it on some of my sat plugs; I just need to do the rest of them.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I should do that too, Alan!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have never dreamed of having this issue. Indeed, I can't say I've not been warned. I had some trouble with the AR7100R I had in my Fury 55 last summer. I sent it in, and they replaced the satellite. It always seemed to lose bind after firing the engine - maybe due to vibration. I will have to think on this one. I would be all for a meaure of reliability. What would the ideal receiver be? Can you connect sats to the V-Bar and Spektrum Rx at the same time?

PS - this looks like a rx comparible to Ah Clem's JR.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is how mine looks like atm:
  • 7HV FBL
  • Stock motor
  • spinblades fb 710 and 690
  • HW 120A
  • Mikado V Bar Full Size 5.1 Pro
  • Hyperion Phase Sensor
  • WR Hercules Super BEC
  • Futaba BLS 255HV on Swash
  • Futaba BLS 251 on tail
  • KBDD 104 t/r blades
  • testing misc batteries amongst others VoltOn all are 5000-5050mah and 45C or better
  • 5.5mm bullets and 10awg cables round entire ship
  • double sat setup

I range test my setup every field day 30+ meters away and trust me it's good enough. Each sat got two receivers btw

My beef is more with dsm so just waiting for the new dmss from jr now and I'll be happy
myrseth is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

On the RX issue I'm running BeastX as well, what is the general recommendation for the Spectrum RX then?
Mixmaster Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in