Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > X5

X5 Discussion and support of the Gaui X5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default stock motor only pulls 65 amps, ESC ??

heck my 500 motor pulled 70 amps and had a 75 amp ESC. my 450 motor pulls 45 amps and has a 50 amp ESC, so the X5 motor pulls 65 amps according to the scorpion specs, do we really need a 100 amp ESC??

i still want to get a nice ESC for this thing here shortly. and some of the better brands its 50-100 bucks less for the 80 amp ESC compared to the 100 amp..

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
dannylightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Man, I like the normal ESC that is on there but I am not sure how to program Auto-bail out.... If I could figure that out, I would just keep that one till it goes..

If anyone knows, let me know. I do have the programmer box as well... If that helps.
irishmatt18 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt18 View Post
Man, I like the normal ESC that is on there but I am not sure how to program Auto-bail out.... If I could figure that out, I would just keep that one till it goes..

If anyone knows, let me know. I do have the programmer box as well... If that helps.
i still want a gov, my buddy turned his gov on and he said the helicopter flew like crap, it was unstable and the tail felt horible, and at 85% we clocked the head speed at 2560 rpm when he turned the gov off he was getting 2180 rpm, that is kind of strange..

and the soft start set to soft is not much of a soft start, spooled up and the blades clocked me in the knee cap, knocked my knee cap out of place and i had to pop it back into place. that was annoying if i must say, not a big deal i was not really hurt or any thing, . i was just making sure the blades were spinning the correct way since i had unplugged the motor and i was not expecting the thing to spool up like that. just expecting the blades to slightly move like they did when it was set to very soft and i gave it a slight bit of throttle and cut it off really quick, but that damn thing started spinning quick.., so i set it back to very soft,

i also dont like that i have no conformation that the setting on the ESC are actually how i set them. i guess the programming card would fix that. bottom line is i dont really like the feel of a RC helicopter thats not running a gov. it just lacks that smoothness i am used to.

Blade 180 CFX, Sold the rest of my stuff, I dont really fly all that often any more.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

It pulls more than that danny, those scorpion.specs are not accurate.

Thats why it came with a 100 amp, its the right size for the x5
fusionsx00 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

i was peaking at 95A when i had a ice 75
P.I.Engineer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ill try and find my logs, but i was peaking over 100.

The stock is good to 150.

I think.you will only see those numbers on a 16t going full tilt.

Its good to know u have more than enough. It runs cooler that way
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 65 amps is the continuous rating of the motor, and has nothing to do with how much the motor will actually draw for any given appliccation. The actual amount of current that is drawn is determined by the load placed on the motor which will vary with every application and setup.

A motor rated at 65amps continuous will handle a 100amp burst for 1 second with no problems because it would take longer than that to heat up the motor windings and stator, etc. But the same short burst would likely burn out an ESC rated at 65amps.
Harrow is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah the way it says it on the website is 65 amps max

Its a little confusing some times with mfg power ratings, but im sure they under rate it

To make sure it delivers what they state.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00 View Post
Yeah the way it says it on the website is 65 amps max

Its a little confusing some times with mfg power ratings, but im sure they under rate it

To make sure it delivers what they state.
Nope, it's not 65 amps max, it's 65 amps max CONTINUOUS. That means a 100+ amp short burst in a pitch pump is no big deal at all.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i understand that i am going to get more than 65 amps at times. but lets look at my 500, i have logs for this still, i never see a spike over 85 amps and that pulls a continuous of 70 amps according to scorpion..

the logs for my 450 53 amps was the highest spike, just plugged in the castle link but i am not sure when those logs were from. 2 of them looked like aggressive flights. and i only got 53 amp spikes,

so it does not seem like the scorpions spike that high when i fly them, my flying style if big and smooth and controlled, not really what i could consider agressive stick banging, that is probably why i dont see high spikes...

Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
...and that pulls a continuous of 70 amps according to scorpion..
No, the scorpion spec does not mean it is pulling a continuous 70amps. The spec means that if you put it in a heli or plane with a large enough prop or high enough head speed that it draws 70 amps from the battery, then the motor will be able to handle this continuously without cooking itself. I'm guessing your 500 uses a lot less then 70 amps.

Let's say that you get 5 minutes of flying with your 500 and take 3000 mAh (3 Ah) out of your 3300 mAh lipo. Since you were flying for 1/12th of an hour (5 min/60 min), then to use 3 Ah, you would need an average current draw of 36 amps.

Battery used (Ah) = amps (A) x flying time (h)

3Ah = 36 amps x 1/12 hour.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
No, the scorpion spec does not mean it is pulling a continuous 70amps. The spec means that if you put it in a heli or plane with a large enough prop or high enough head speed that it draws 70 amps from the battery, then the motor will be able to handle this continuously without cooking itself. I'm guessing your 500 uses a lot less then 70 amps.

Let's say that you get 5 minutes of flying with your 500 and take 3000 mAh (3 Ah) out of your 3300 mAh lipo. Since you were flying for 1/12th of an hour (5 min/60 min), then to use 3 Ah, you would need an average current draw of 36 amps.

Battery used (Ah) = amps (A) x flying time (h)

3Ah = 36 amps x 1/12 hour.
right about 40 amps was the average on my 500 thew out the flight but the motor is rated for 70 and i had a scorpion motor on it.

so my thinking is if the X5 motor is is rated to pull a continuess 65 amps a 75 or 80 amp ESC should work..

here are soem logs from my 500 the middle one was with a viper motor instead of the scorpion motor, hit LVC just after 4 min of flying, that was a verry hard flight and that motor killed my packs in just 4 min, with the scorpion motor i was getting 5 or 6 min flights.. the other 2 where the scorpion 1600 KV motor

the middle one was with a viper motor instead of the scorpion motor, hit LVC just after 4 min of flying, that was a verry hard flight and that motor killed my packs in just 4 min, with the scorpion motor i was getting 5 or 6 min flights..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning View Post
so my thinking is if the X5 motor is is rated to pull a continuess 65 amps a 75 or 80 amp ESC should work..
It's just going to be the short burst amps that you have to be careful with. As usual, if a $50 saving causes equipment failure, then it's not good value. But we need pioneers out there to test the boundaries.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
It's just going to be the short burst amps that you have to be careful with. As usual, if a $50 saving causes equipment failure, then it's not good value. But we need pioneers out there to test the boundaries.
from what i have come to understand the spikes are not a big deal as long as its just a quick spike and than its gone..

i guess i would need to see some logs of this motor to determine what size ESC would work or wouldnot

Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Below is the log of a X5 with a Jive 80 HV and the stock motor. The current intensity peaks above 100 amps. Normally 80 amps regulators can cope with higher currents depending on the cooling. The needed size is also very dependent of the flying style and how powerful are your lipos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X5graupner3700.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	278871  
Druekerfish is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in