Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Belt CP V2 questions from a Noob

I was trying to hover for the second time with my new Belt cp v2 when it started to drift towards the entertainment center (I know I should be in a bigger area) and I think I panicked and cut the throttle. It wasn't 18" of the ground and I ended up with a crash that resulted in a bent feathering shaft blades hit the boom and a servo striped.

First question: why did the blades hit the boom? Was it because there is a bit of neg. pitch at low throttle and I cut it to fast? Or What?

Second question: When I put the new servo in does the servo center its self when it has power to it? And if so do I take the arm of the servo and move it to 90 deg. and put it back on after the servo has centered its self?

Thanks
hydmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear of your crash.

The blades, epecially wooden ones can flex a fair amount. When you hit the ground the blades flexed downwards with the momentum of the heli and hit the boom!

On to servos. To answer your question, servos will find thier own center but the servo horns will not. When you fit new servos you will first have to power up in idle up (motor wires disconnected) move to midstick, then fit the horns at 90.

Steve

Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
lankey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response.

Would I be better of with the carbon blades as far as flex?
Also what is the best way to mount the battery? I mount mine so I have a good cog and it is hanging out and not as secure as id like it.
hydmech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

TBH if you are in the early stages of learning to fly, carbons will not be of much benefit as you will crash (we all did/still do!)- they may not flex as much but you will still have boom strikes. In fact most crashes will take out the boom anyway as links pop off the head and blades flail all over the shop! So, you'll be replacing expensive carbons instead of the cheaper woodies regardless!

Stick to woodies for the moment and make sure your blade grips are done up tight enough- both blades should not fall under thier own weight when the heli is held vertically and blades extended. Give it a bit of a shake and they should both start to droop.

The best way to secure your lipo is to get some Velcro tape- one side to stick to the lipo and the other side to your battery tray. In addition most peeps use Velcro securing straps as well.... LHS/online retailers will sell the stuff.

Due to economic circumstances, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
lankey is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly these blades on my belt:

http://www.helidirect.com/325mm-pro-...50-p-10348.hdx

They are cheaper than wood,lighter, stiffer, stronger, they don't warp like wood, and they require less balancing. Being that you are learning they are much less likely to need to replace them if you scuff them on the ground.

The only downside is that when you have a boom strike it will cause more damage than the woodies.

You need to add a few shims to get them to work in the belt's main grips as well
wobbles99 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have crashed twice with the carbon blades and they flex just as much as any other. I think most of the flex comes from the blade grips and the o-rings cushioning the feathering shaft. Only problem with the carbons that I have had so far is the damage they do to the tail boom. I am going to try the Extreme fiber blades next time. The stock wood blades are more expensive for some reason.
NAXAKSTA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

hi hydmech,
I agree 100% with all of the above comments. I am a newbie witha belt, 3 months now down the track - still crashing, but less often. Use the woodies for as long as possible, you can get 2-3 boom strikes out of them before you replace the boom - whereas 1 strike with CF, - boom is a gonnski !! I know they look nice, and the heli does fly better, but there is a down side. !!
best thing to do is stock up on belt parts that you are likely to bust over the next few weeks - otherwise it will take you twice as long - waiting for parts. !!
feathering shafts, booms, main gears (or alternate stronger ones - see sticky)
a few main shafts (rarely bend, ), get ready to replace the ESC, and buy a few extra batteries.
good luck !!
chansen1953 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm with Steve on this one. Fly the woodies while you're learning. They're cheap and easy to find.

Even if you go with a rigid blade, when you hit hard, the feathering shaft bends, and your expensive blades still hit the boom.
mnwizard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a machinist by trade and I will have to devise a protective collar for the boom. Strong but light. Stainless steel or maybe even some delrin would help. Cogs turning.........
NAXAKSTA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had good luck with these blades from X-Heli. Just add a plastic washer.
Item# EXI-Pro-3252 $3.62 + shipping.

aeroplay is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in