Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best. Mod. Ever. Did it today. Massive improvement, should be standard. Thanks for tutorial.
hobbes22 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 02:14 AM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default And mine too ....

I did mine today too. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks a lot for the excellent thread :-)

geekindenial is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really like this mod too. The stock plastic is incredibly soft and scratches extremely easily.

http://tmkarc1hobby.com/radios/spekt...spektrum-dx6i/

Bill
Bill_A is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #204 (permalink)

Where did you get that switch?

Anyone have to get their radio serviced? I don't suppose they work on them once you do this. Certainly not under warrantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekindenial View Post
I did mine today too. Fantastic tutorial. Thanks a lot for the excellent thread :-)

CTYankee15 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Timatworksg
Thanks for this thread. I did a similar mod to my DX-7 today. I used this kit from AProHobbies.
http://www.aprohobbies.com/transmitt...ight-c-31.html

Unfortunately, when I went to carefully remove the ribbon (from screen) to the mother board, the grey nylon clip popped out of the retainer. So I ended up with this (see first pic)! Grey nylon clip loose on the counter.

I only saw your instructions later today.

Quote:
With the screen facing down on something clean and soft, you will see a ribbon connector from the LCD screen into the mainboard, held by a thin brown plastic piece! Grab the jewellers screwdriver (Flat Head) and pry apart the brown plastic GENTLY, just enough so that it juts out a little. You wouldn't want to pop it out as it's held in there with it's small clips. *IF like me, when I did a previous Tx, I popped it out...and broke one clip!* BUT..no harm as it's a shove in type connector which sandwiches the ribbon cable in.
When I had the ribbon cable inserted at the end, I carefully re-inserted the grey nylon clip to hold the ribbon in place. Got everything together finally. Are the clips at the ends you mentioned metal? If so I will have to find them in the TX before I use it. No clips now (see first pic)

I hope this thin brown plastic piece will hold the ribbon in place, even with the "clips" missing..
Wish I had read your instructions, regarding loosening the brown plastic piece first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030547.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	349098   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished screen.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	349100  
DX-7/ Futaba 8FG
320pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

@320pilot
It's never to late to read anything..lol! As for your question, nope those clips are not metal. They are tiny strips of the same plastic as the piece that wedges the ribbon cable in. As long as you managed to shove the plastic piece in all the way and its wedging the ribbon cable, no worries. The ribbon cable is not tensioned enough to pop it put again. If anything, it's Hot Glue to the rescue!! Squirt a little on a toothpick and place that small glue blob on the corners after wedging the cable in. It'll hold everything in till the glue drops off!...lol! Alternative is modelling clay where you can pinch a small piece of clay, roll a tiny ball and press it into the corner. Do likewise for the other corner and it'll dry up nicely!

As for the rest, sorry I don't come in here often as I fly planes and scratchbuild foamies now. Cheaper crash payout for me...
But I will from time to time pop in to see whats up!! Great to see more backlights lighting up the world! I'm still wondering how much cost savings would HH have to add in to just do this for the Dx6i's in the near future! Backlights are everywhere from watches to calculators, etc etc...heck even a cellphone is cheaper than a Tx!! I was dissapointed when no light was added to the Dx7s! Aww man!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry

Thanks timatworksg

The written instructions from AProHobbies, that came with their DX-7 backlight kit, said to

"Little by little slowly push one end of the plastic tab in the direction shown and then the other end, keep doing that back and forth until the tab comes out."

So I kept working the tab until it popped out. Exactly as instructed. Bad instructions!

ps. I'm mostly flying composite sailplanes, hotliners and foamy warbirds now. Still have my Trex 500 and 450.
DX-7/ Futaba 8FG
Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My DX6i

I don't fly helis, but I registered on this site just to say thanks for the awesome tutorial. It made this mode a breeze.

I plan to add a switch at a later date, but for now this works perfect.

Thanks,
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-16 07.08.37.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	349846  
dmccalmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think more owners of radios are going to be willing to do these backlight mods. The results are worth a bit of careful soldering. My only concern was toasting the screen, or Tx and losing the programing I have in my DX-7 for 17 aircraft and helis!
There are easier ways to get a backlight screen, like the kit I used from aprohobbies. I didn't have to cut any wires, only solder two wires to the mother board. It included a dimension engineering voltage regulator so screen brightness is constant.

Of course the kit costs a bit more
DX-7/ Futaba 8FG
Old 09-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Backlight

Thanks for the great tutorial

Another successful backlight mod done on my dx6i

Makes using the screen so much more visible
gruntdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just ordered my kit last night, and these instructions will make this install a breeze.

Question: How many of you folks who added this think it's too bright at night? Would a "bright/dim" switch be a welcome addition?

Andy

P.S. A 3mm red LED just might find it's way into the "dot" in the "DX6i" logo as well, to serve as a power-on indicator.

P.P.S. Anything else I should consider doing while I'm inside this rig?
ashemo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Anticipation

I just ordered my back light unit and waiting for it to arrive. Just wondering how long it takes air mail to get from there to Northeast Ohio, USA. Their website says it can take up to 45 days. Hmmmm, by then winter will almost be over....lol
Martin
Old 09-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I fly at night and my back light with a custom, lower resistor isn't too bright at all. I didn't add an off switch, but that's definitely something to consider.

Shipping depends on which type you selected: EMS can be pretty fast (5-7days), while regular mail can take 3 weeks or more.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Doc.

I'm sure I'll experiment (it's just how I'm wired), but could you tell us what value you used to dim it down?

Andy
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I actually made it brighter; soldered a 301-Ohm "0805" SMT resistor to the positive solder point inside the DX6i, then soldered the red wire from the back light to the other side of the resistor. Give a little more brightness than with the OEM 470-Ohm resistor.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah, got it. I misread your post.
OK. Thanks.

Andy
Old 10-01-2012, 11:51 PM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sweet back light

Evening group,
Ooops just looked at the clock....aaaa Good morning group.
My back light came this afternoon. I got started on it, but had to leave for a while but when I got back home, I continued with the modification. Instead of the 3M tape I used three Command wall hanging strips. I cut the little tab off which allows you to remove the strip when done using. And instead of hot glue, I used clear DAP Kwik Seal Plus. I also decided to put in a 10K, on/off/dimmer knob. I located the knob under the left stick and to the left of the orange logo which is left of the screen. I was going to put just a dimmer switch in, but figured that if I ever wanted to turn the back light off, I could. No real extra effort or work, just one extra wire as a jumper from the on/off to the pot. Works very nice.
Thanks so much for sharing this mod.
Martin
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds great, Martin! Need some pics! Wouldn't mind knowing where you picked up the parts, too (Radio Shack, maybe?)

Andy

P. S. I messed up and ordered some LED's that were on BO, so I'm a'waitin.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default A couple of pics

Here are a couple of pics. One is of full bright and the other is full dim.
The pot I got from a local electronics house called Philcap Electronics. They are not a chain or franchise, just a guy with an electronics palace.Unfortunately I have had it for a while and used it in other projects and then pulled it out. So I don't have a number.

Name:	DSCN0560.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	354343

Name:	DSCN0561.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	354344

Martin
Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Martin. Looks great!
I was considering the same location for a hi/lo switch or pot, but I thought the heel of my hand might hit it. Mine will probably end up on top of the radio along with another for the beeper volume.

Andy

P.S. I thought 10K might be too high a value, but it looks perfect. I think I have one of those floating around in my parts bin as well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in