Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > CJY Total-G FBL System

CJY Total-G FBL System Curtis Youngblood Total-G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation Is Total G still reliable?

Hi team. There is talk down here in NZ of total g being problematic and many here would not trust there helis with total g.
I see very few reports of probs with them on this forum.
The only real issue I found was when connecting to the pc interface my servos would have a mind of their own, which has been sorted now thanks to a fellow freaker.

It seems that all FBL units have their probs. I have a 3GX here on standby just incase, but there is a large price difference between TG ($525NZD) and 3GX ($350NZD), which makes me question the benifit in the TG.

My question to all is, what, if any are the most common probs you have had with TG, other than tail clitches. Im talking about heli destroying probs. (brown outs, full collective 'dumps' or loss of control)

Thoughts??
Corrari is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not even gonna waste my time typing my TG horror story. Rekitted my700N twice with out even 10 flights total. Unbelivable debacle that cost me well over $2500 until it was all said and done. Only positive thing I can say about the experience is I was given a reund for the unit. I would not EVER use one, even if it was given to me for free along with a RTF heli attached to it....
Buy a V-bar,Beast-X or CGY 750 and live happily ever after

Last edited by MXRACERX43; 12-07-2011 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: 1
MXRACERX43 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thats preety much the responce i am hearing down here...

I would like to hear from Buzzin Brian on this but He seems to be a bit alusive at the mo, not sure why, its just that he has not replied to any of my pm's of late. Is he away or still involved with CYB?
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Not sure of Brians status but a company rep is going to defend the products of the company he is employed by.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

..Oh, no doubt he will, just be good to hear how he defends it....
Old 12-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, this thread is quite a surprise to me.... To suggest that Total G's are unreliable is just nuts.

While there is always a chance someone could get a defective unit, I believe that would apply to all electronic systems.

I've never had any tail glitches, brown outs, full collective 'dumps' or loss of control.

Many of my friends and I have been successfully flying Total G's for quite some time now, and I totally love my Total G's.

BTW, if you are ever offered a "free" Total G with a RTF heli attached and don't want it, PLEASE send it to me, Ha, Ha....

Sky Dancer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Dancer View Post
Well, this thread is quite a surprise to me.... To suggest that Total G's are unreliable is just nuts.

While there is always a chance someone could get a defective unit, I believe that would apply to all electronic systems.

I've never had any tail glitches, brown outs, full collective 'dumps' or loss of control.

Many of my friends and I have been successfully flying Total G's for quite some time now, and I totally love my Total G's.

BTW, if you are ever offered a "free" Total G with a RTF heli attached and don't want it, PLEASE send it to me, Ha, Ha....

+1

I have had 2 of them for almost a year now and not a single problem with them they both fly
Tommy Wagner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been running 4 Total-G's for a couple of years and none of that stuff you mention has ever occurred. And yes those comments really surprise me as well. I did have a dipping swash plate that was easily fixed with a firmware update but that was it.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yea, I also was supprised to hear people talk TG down, but as I mentioned, people down here are voiceing concerens. I too have had no probs with my first unit, and the second was fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I was interested to hear if anyone else had concerns, mostly too easy my mind.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrari View Post
Yea, I also was supprised to hear people talk TG down, but as I mentioned, people down here are voiceing concerens. I too have had no probs with my first unit, and the second was fixed with a firmware upgrade.

I was interested to hear if anyone else had concerns, mostly too easy my mind.
Do us a favor, gather the information as to what specific issues they have and let's see if we can spot a problem for them. They should not be having those issues that are being reported. I'm willing to bet there are other underlying issues. I would really like to help them if we can.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have been running a TG all season and it works great. Don is 100% correct in that any of these flight control units can fail or cause crashes but that goes for all brands. The only unit I have had problems with personally is a Vbar which ultimately had a bad sensor, so yes it can and does happen to all of them.

Last edited by scnsaracer; 12-07-2011 at 07:13 PM..
scnsaracer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

4 TotalG on my 4 front line/primary birds. 2x T700N and 2X T700E. My most expensive and favorite birds run what I still consider to be the best FBL unit I have flown.
I am rolling out BeastX on some of my newer stuff, but I trust TotalG with my best
jsenicka is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ok, gonna play devils advocate....If Nick Maxwell was not using one when he was still with CYE, then why would anyone feel confident about paying for one?....

As stated a failure can happen with ANY system and It is obvious some are having success with the Total-G and are satisfied with it's performance. Not at all the experience I myself or some others I spoke to had though.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been using my Total G on a Kasama Faifa for two years now. Love it, no issues. Since it is my first FBL unit, I had to struggle brought the instruction and set up, but with time spend taken to understand the features on and how to set it up, it was worth it. Might buy a kasama 90N and set it up with another Total G.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can report from first hand experience that my TotalG will do strange things if there is a power interruption while it initializes. I have to take care when connecting the battery to the ESC so that the connectors are note momentarily disconnected and connected again. I can reproduce this on the bench. Side efffects can affect both the swashplate and the tail. Sometimes its a reversed aileron channel and other times its a dead tail. One time it switched the whole control system to mode 1. My Tx is mode 2. This used to happen more often when I was using Deans connectors but it happens less often with XT60s. Stiil it has happened even with XT60s so I take great care when connecting the battery and I double check all controls before flying. I do the tilt and pioette test and I check all the stick inputs are correct. I mentioned this a while back but never got much of a response. Noone seemed to take it seriously. Personally I think CYE should acknowlege the problem and fix it or there should be a big warning message in the manual. God forbid someone gets injured from this one day.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are the posts from the same question I posted on Runryder. These are seperate posts and from individual members.

(1) "Well i thought i was having troble with mine having a mind of it's own, but turns out for some reason i turned on Auto trim, turned it off and it's now back to being awesome."

(2) " like I say most problems are customer set up and not the fault of the unit. The main problem is that most people don't know they have a bad set up, think it is good and blame the unit.
I have lost count how many times people have sent warranty stuff to us to look at just to tweak the set up and send them on their way. The Actual real warranty rate is very low, I send less than a chocolate box size package back to Align once a year.
May Rave with the Total-G is still the best flyign heli I have ever owned, I think the Kasama will get up to the same level but a bit more set up tweaking is needed before I can say for sure"

(3) "Theres been report of issues with Total G's worldwide. I certainly would never trust one on my heli ......... ever "

(4) "Guess theres good batch/bad batch units etc? .... You think"

(5) "I would put money on it that 95% of problems are bad build and bad setup."

(6) "The main things I have read or heard is jittery servos and the Total G just having a mind of its own and moving the swash unexpectedly."

No one actually tells of failures......Im comfortable in continued use. and look foward to flying my Kasama tommorow.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

TotalG's are no longer in use by anyone at the local clubs anymore. Quite a few used to and was awaiting version 2 of software but they gave up.

Just an observation
Hyaloid is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have also had Great success with the Total G. Currently I have three Total G's. I have helped several new guys with Total G setups and have not had anyone tell me that they disliked the way there models flew..

On a couple of occassions I have had one or two problems with the way my model flew and it was always something else.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I had one for a short while and after trying other units I got rid of it. It flys nowhere near as good as vbar and beastx and has bad habits and is a pain to set up. I had high hopes for this unit but it's a bust. Unfortunately most of the people you see defending this unit are going to be reps for cy.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not a rep or affiliated w/ cye in any way, and out of my 4 units, not one malfunctioning gyro. and i find them easy as hell to setup.

Stuff for sale
CF_Machete is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in