Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters > Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme

Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Mikado Logo 800 Xxtreme Helicopters Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have experimented a bit with low headspeeds on my 600SE. I get flight times of about 20 minutes with 9s2pA123 at about 1100 RPM.

A few thoughts...

7s will not double your current unless you also change the rest of the setup - i.e. you use a motor with 2x the KV. So using different size battery packs could be a good way of experimenting with different headspeeds, especially if you have them to hand. You may be able to get away with a considerably smaller motor than the one that Mikado are supplying, because you will need less power.

Semi-syms mean that you can fly with a lower headspeed. However, although they reduce the headspeed required to gain a particular amount of lift, you still need around the same amount of torque. With my 600SE I found that the headspeed was limited by tail performance - I run out of tail authority if I try a serious punch out. I can't put on bigger tailblades because they already get chipped if I land in gravel. I couldn't change the ratio without doing some serious work sourcing non-standard bits and pieces.

To my great surprise, I found that my Logo flies slightly longer with aerobatic EDGE blades than with the semi-syms. I suspect that this is because my tail isn't good enough to use the semi-syms to their full advantage (i.e. a lower headspeed would use them to full advantage) and because the edge blades have a much larger surface area which will increase parasitic drag.

In the UK the Logo Xtreme tips against the 7kg weight limit, above which r/c aircraft are somewhat more tightly regulated. I would just check the legality of putting on a heavy scale body before going further - I suspect you are already more aware of this than I am.

There was a very good thread on low-headspeed setups for the 600 already, started by somebody else with a few ongoing comments from myself. I would try searching for it. Of course it's a different helicopter, but a lot will be relevant.
wlfk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes I read the original post - that is where I got a great deal of information. Thanks for the heads up....
TGAMO is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know if the new Kontronic package will work with an 8S battery setup? Anyone think that this may be an option for longer flight times at lower head speeds? Yes I realize the larger motor will not help, but will the 8S batts help?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Let us know what you try and how it goes - can you PM me if you start another thread as I may not see it otherwise.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Am really interested in getting the xxtreme but I am only a beginner sport flyer. Dun see myself going into 3D as it is not my style. Therefore would like to enquire if it is possible to run on 12s with the combo electronics? If its possible, I would then not have to change all my chargers to take 7s..

Thanks!
chasers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers View Post
Am really interested in getting the xxtreme but I am only a beginner sport flyer. Dun see myself going into 3D as it is not my style. Therefore would like to enquire if it is possible to run on 12s with the combo electronics? If its possible, I would then not have to change all my chargers to take 7s..

Thanks!
other poeple have done the 12s thing and changed to 14s almost Immediately. not enough UMPH......
heliguyG6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguyG6 View Post
other poeple have done the 12s thing and changed to 14s almost Immediately. not enough UMPH......
It has been said by Dave Dahl and others, You can fly on 12s but it's certainly lacking in the power department, I among others have flown mine on 12s but waiting on delivery of 7s packs arriving at the moment.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Damn!! Thought i could get away on 12s..

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like the chargers gotta go and get some 7s or 14s replacment if i were to put my name down for the xxtreme.

Btw, anyone know if i can dual charge a 4s n 3s at the same time on the hyperion 0610i duo charger? If its possible, then i might not have to change charger..
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have to say, I just beat holes in the sky on a logo 600, 9s2p A123 (about 7-8s LiPo) with a headspeed just about 1100. I can still do loops and rolls and whilst I did enjoy the extra power when I used a headspeed of 1850, I prefer the flight times of 20 minutes.

If you already have 12S batteries, you could see how it goes. It may well be enough for you.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it possible to do 2x6s + 2s instead of 2*(4s+3s)? Will charging be an issue as I am only able to charge the pair of 6s, but the 2s will have to be charged separately.. Dilemma....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

It should be OK so long as the cells are matched. It might be difficult to find 2s packs in the larger capacities though? (a little bit out of the loop recently)
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the great info.. Hopefully I am able to gather some funds to allow me to pull the trigger
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasers View Post
Thank you for the great info.. Hopefully I am able to gather some funds to allow me to pull the trigger
this is what i have worked out:

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/harn...bl-p-8508.html
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/jst-...6-p-18523.html
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/jst-...7-p-18525.html
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/quan...2-p-15695.html

join the packs togetther with the bullet connectors to make 7s.
use the 7s cable to connect to the charger. get the female ends of the 3/4s ballance leads connect them to the 7s connector. then connect as follows.

heliguyG6 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yesterday, I maiden my XXtreme, I am planning on using it for AP, so I need long flight times.
Using the info given by Dahl in another post and doing some calculations, I built a couple of 8000mAh 7s batteries from 5s batteries. I could flight 15 minutes (doing only translations @ 1600 RPM), using only 6000 mAh. So, I suppose that using 7000 mAh from the battery I should reach 17 min easily.
With this packs, the XXtreme is a bit nose heavy (2586g both packs), but the vbar could handle it.
Titusx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is it possible to mount your camera gear more to the rear than you had planned -- so that the heli balances better once everything is on it?

Also, maybe you should only plan to use 6400 mAh, which is 80% of your 8000 mAh pack?
ElectricSheep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricSheep View Post
Is it possible to mount your camera gear more to the rear than you had planned -- so that the heli balances better once everything is on it?

Also, maybe you should only plan to use 6400 mAh, which is 80% of your 8000 mAh pack?
I am building my own chassis for the camera gear with rear mount lipos, if you would like to see its process, here is the link:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=391847

Yes, the idea is not discharging them more than 80%, but using high capacity lipos, let me discharged them more than 80% without fearing of LVC.
For example if you have a 5000mAh 25c battery its maximun discarge amp will be 125A, with 8000mAh 25c batteries the amps increase up to 200A. So the voltage will not drop as fast as a 5000mAh does.
Also I will not push the heli as hard as a 3D pilot, so I will not generate discharge peaks like the ones, that for example, a tic toc could demand.

Now I am doing some tests, my target is to get from 12 to 14 minutes flight time with payload, but now I need to know how hard I could discharged the batteries to leave enough room for an emergency.
Titusx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does anyone know when different main gearing will be available to allow longer flights?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anyone with some update for the new Kontronic speed controllers, or other solutions? I see a few new threads with battery discussions going on - any word on 20 plus minute flights, or other gearing?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

So anyone with 20 mins or more per flight as of yet???? When might gearing options be available?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

17, 18, 19T is out now on 8mm shaft,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in