Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 500X

Blade 500X Blade 500X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crash

Last month when I was home I ran two packs through without any problems. Third flight the heli started turning to the right on its own mid flight after a really hard bank turn. Was able to get it landed without breaking anything. Put it up and had to go back to work for another month.

Just got back with all of the aluminum tail parts waiting for me at home. Installed everything with new revolution cf tail blades. I ended up filing the step washer that came with the tail case until there was no more binding with it installed. Did a full BX setup, and the tail was vibe free.

Thought my ESC capacitor looked a little crooked so I put a big gob of hot glue around it. Flew one pack in normal and had some pretty bad tail wag. Tamed that with gyro gain. Second flight I flew a few circuits in normal, then stopped to hit idle up. As soon as I did it started rolling and flipping all over the place. Hit TH and watched as it dropped 50 feet onto its nose.

Broken stuff: ESC, cyclic servo, main blades, tail blades, tail boom, anti-rotation bracket, bottom tray, frame broke where the ESC attaches.

While shopping for parts, I noticed that the ESC picture online has two capacitors. I only had one when I applied the hot glue, so must have broken one off before and not noticed. Does this seem like a likely cause of the crash after switching to idle up?

Ordered a CC Edge 100 ESC as a replacement. All of the replacement stuff should be here Friday. My question is what else should I be looking at after a crash? I have spare spindle and tail shafts which will be replaced. The main shaft doesn't seem to be damaged at all. Holding it against a level I can spin it around all the way and it makes contact the full rotation so it isn't bent. After a complete disassemble the only notchy bearings were the ones in the tail belt guides. I did notice before the crash that I was able to move my main gear up and down 1mm or so. Is that a normal thing or should I get a new one-way bearing?

Hoping to get it flying again before Monday when I head back to work, would like to bring it with me. Alaska summers are beautiful, and its bright enough at 3am to fly. Could fly all night
Stranger25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like your last crash came from tail vibration, and when you hit IU, your BeastX went mad. Lets's hope this gets fixed by the aluminum tail case & stuff. If not, play with the tail fin screws' tightness. You should spool her up without main blades and check if the tail vibrates. You can see that when it happens, it's very obvious. But this has all been said a thousand times in the forum.
I know of no other parts you should have to replace; you said you checked all bearings already so that's the only source of "hidden" damage I can think of.
Go flying, and have fun!
Superholgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spooled it up before the last flight without mains on with tail blades on. Was as smooth as it's ever been. I could feel a high frequency vibration, but the only place I could see it was on the bx antennas. Either way I'm going to replace the stock bx mounting tape with some 3M. I won't fly it this time unless it's completely vibe free, though.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger25 View Post
Last month when I was home I ran two packs through without any problems. Third flight the heli started turning to the right on its own mid flight after a really hard bank turn. Was able to get it landed without breaking anything. Put it up and had to go back to work for another month.
Sounds to me like you are getting a high vibs from somewhere initially and are still getting these.

Best advice I can give you is to replace the stock ar7200bx mounting tape and use some Align gel tape (strapped down like stock). Just google align gel tape and you will find it. This stuff kills most vib-related problems imho.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

The best tape I have seen to date came with my Spartan Quark. Really squishy stuff. (technical term) Never had any Align though so can't compare.
jrjr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Spooled it up before the last flight without mains on with tail blades on. Was as smooth as it's ever been. I could feel a high frequency vibration, but the only place I could see it was on the bx antennas. Either way I'm going to replace the stock bx mounting tape with some 3M. I won't fly it this time unless it's completely vibe free, though.
Hi frequency vibes but no extreme wiggle of the long tail pushrod (the one below the boom, coming from the servo) could be a sign of improperly balanced tail blades. Did you try the sticky tape trick on one of the tail blades? (try at random first and use it on the other tail blade if vibes increase).
Anyway, as you say there are vibes visible on the antenna, this is probably the cause for the heli going mad. Changing the Beast mounting tape might help, but will not remove the root cause... personally, I'd try to find the cause rather than to dampen the Beast even better. That would be like repairing the horn of your car because the brakes are bad...
Superholgi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

During the rebuild I pulled apart the motor. Oiled the bearings and spun it up out of the heli. Tons of vibes from it. Back in the heli with the pinion disengaged it produced a high frequency vibe through the whole thing. Tried balancing the can the best that I could but still wasn't satisfied with it. Have a new savox on the way that will hopefully be waiting for me at work when I get there.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I may look into a Scorpion for mine in the future
raisinjack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
During the rebuild I pulled apart the motor. Oiled the bearings and spun it up out of the heli. Tons of vibes from it. Back in the heli with the pinion disengaged it produced a high frequency vibe through the whole thing. Tried balancing the can the best that I could but still wasn't satisfied with it. Have a new savox on the way that will hopefully be waiting for me at work when I get there.
Sorry to hear this mate. Must be a Blade thing since my 500x motor runs very smooth. Recently ran it up without blades (main or tail) and it was pretty vib-free imho. Btw I always remove the motor label on all my Eflite heli motors which seems to improve their balance a tiny bit. Your high freq vibe sounds like a faulty motor bearing imho.

If I were you I'd talk to HH tech support and see if you can get them to send you a replacement motor.

Cheers,
TomC
Now also a FPV addict; Quads and Planes (soon to try heli's!)
TomC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in