Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 500L with Castle Talon 90

I purchased a 500L and i'm debating on installing a Talon 90 ESC. Looking at some of the pictures it appears mounting it on the side frame is the easiest.

It appears to be 25 grams heavier than the stock ESC. I'm a little concerned with the extra weight and a already heavy 500. I thought about just running the stock esc on fixed points.

Thoughts and/or Suggestions?

Thanks!
cadkins is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a 500l with the CC ESC 80hv mounted in front of the motor. Flying with pulse 3300mah 35c.

The weight between the 90 Talon is 84.5g or 3.0 oz

The Edge 80hv is 62.2g or 2.2oz plus the weight of the CC pro BEC is 29g or 1oz. So really the Edge 80 and the BEC weights 3.2 oz estimated (zip ties, straps and other crap to keep the wires together... Etc...)

My 500L flys great and that's at 2800 rpm. Get a 13t pinion to get 3k. Would be better.

Too bad I crashed my 500l and now I have tail wag issue that I can't knock out after hours of troubleshooting. So don't crash.

Damn tail wags blows. Replaced all the obvious damage parts. And still a wag.

But anyways your weight should be good to go.
Scjon03 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been using a Talon 90 on my regular 500 for a couple of years now, and don't see weight as a problem. In fact, in a scale Hughes 500 fuselage (extra weight) I fly it with a 3900mAh pack (more weight) just to get the balance right, and it doesn't feel to me that it's suffering from the weight.

If you're into 3D, that's a different matter. I've read of Talon 90s not being up to the job for that, overheating and shutting down.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scjon03 View Post
I have a 500l with the CC ESC 80hv mounted in front of the motor. Flying with pulse 3300mah 35c.

The weight between the 90 Talon is 84.5g or 3.0 oz

The Edge 80hv is 62.2g or 2.2oz plus the weight of the CC pro BEC is 29g or 1oz. So really the Edge 80 and the BEC weights 3.2 oz estimated (zip ties, straps and other crap to keep the wires together... Etc...)

My 500L flys great and that's at 2800 rpm. Get a 13t pinion to get 3k. Would be better.

Too bad I crashed my 500l and now I have tail wag issue that I can't knock out after hours of troubleshooting. So don't crash.

Damn tail wags blows. Replaced all the obvious damage parts. And still a wag.

But anyways your weight should be good to go.
What flybarless unit are you using?
reich2004 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2015, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ar7300bx at first. After the crash the fbl got a bent on the corner. I reuse the fbl over and had the bad tail wag, guessing other vibration too. So I took my ar7200 off my blade 450x which is my first helicopter and with almost 7 crashes under its belt.

Any ways I swap the 7300 with the 7200 and boom the tail wag is gone. Still got very very little but not as bad with the 7300.

I was shocked. But remember the 7300 does have a bent in the corner.
But after the changes the wag is gone. But now I have the tail kicking when doing fast pitch ups.

Running stock 12t pinion at 2800 rpm too. Ordered a 13t pinion to run 3k rpm or more.

Everything is pretty much new or replaced. Other than the tail servo which I think is the problem for the tail kicking. So now probably replace the shaft mounts and motor mounts to see if those are the vibrations coming from.

Also re mounted the 7300 on my blade 450x and it seems fine. The 450x is a beast after all it been through. No wag and tail isn't kicking out.

So re swapped them again. And the tail wag is back on the 500. Just to test it again. So now it has to be vibrations from the 500l the 7300bx isn't liking. Swapped them again and the 7200 is working great on the 500l. Other than the tail kicking and vibrations.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Ar7300bx at first. After the crash the fbl got a bent on the corner. I reuse the fbl over and had the bad tail wag, guessing other vibration too. So I took my ar7200 off my blade 450x which is my first helicopter and with almost 7 crashes under its belt.

Any ways I swap the 7300 with the 7200 and boom the tail wag is gone. Still got very very little but not as bad with the 7300.

I was shocked. But remember the 7300 does have a bent in the corner.
But after the changes the wag is gone. But now I have the tail kicking when doing fast pitch ups.

Running stock 12t pinion at 2800 rpm too. Ordered a 13t pinion to run 3k rpm or more.

Everything is pretty much new or replaced. Other than the tail servo which I think is the problem for the tail kicking. So now probably replace the shaft mounts and motor mounts to see if those are the vibrations coming from.

Also re mounted the 7300 on my blade 450x and it seems fine. The 450x is a beast after all it been through. No wag and tail isn't kicking out.

So re swapped them again. And the tail wag is back on the 500. Just to test it again. So now it has to be vibrations from the 500l the 7300bx isn't liking. Swapped them again and the 7200 is working great on the 500l. Other than the tail kicking and vibrations.
I assume you are running the except same programming and gain on both FBL Controllers?? I would check all the setting in the FBL controller. Have you tried flying the 500 in fixed throttle points and turning off the governor?
Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenn View Post
I've been using a Talon 90 on my regular 500 for a couple of years now, and don't see weight as a problem. In fact, in a scale Hughes 500 fuselage (extra weight) I fly it with a 3900mAh pack (more weight) just to get the balance right, and it doesn't feel to me that it's suffering from the weight.

If you're into 3D, that's a different matter. I've read of Talon 90s not being up to the job for that, overheating and shutting down.
Really I have not heard of that issue??? I wonder if they have it tucked inside the frames with no air flowing over it.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Abenn - are you sure your not confusing the talon 90's that come with the 550L kits - these only work on the 550's with mild/moderate flight - or with that strange 730mx / 16t pinion setup....

Been using the talon 90's on my 500's for a while with zero problems - way over kill IMHO.....dont even think the KDE motors will tax it....

-
Old 10-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post
Hey Abenn - are you sure your not confusing the talon 90's that come with the 550L kits - these only work on the 550's with mild/moderate flight - or with that strange 730mx / 16t pinion setup....

Been using the talon 90's on my 500's for a while with zero problems - way over kill IMHO.....dont even think the KDE motors will tax it....

-
Yea that what I was thinking after some of the reviews on the Talon. I would be surprised if a 500 would overheat it.

I went with it for the governor and BEC. I know its a little heavy, however I won't need a BEC and it has a good governor for the price.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadkins View Post
I assume you are running the except same programming and gain on both FBL Controllers?? I would check all the setting in the FBL controller. Have you tried flying the 500 in fixed throttle points and turning off the governor?

yeah I was running the same gain, everything or it didnt even matter what gain I put it at... still wag and tail kicking. I did both gov and fix points. no difference. I read a post about someone having the same issue and he replaced his tail servo and the tail kick went away.

So guessing my tail sevo isnt powerful enough to hold the tail in hard pump ups after the crashed. So today I put a new DS515m servo for the tail and it was better but still a slight kick. Just the DS515m servos are for cyclic, so the speed wasn't fast enough....

The guy I read on purchase the RJX servo... guessing the clone of the Bk 7005HV....

I ordered the DS-7005HV BK Tail Servo

Specifications:

Operating Voltage: 6.0V - 8.4V
Weight: 50g (1.70 oz)

Torque:
- 8.4 kg/cm (116.7 oz/in) @ 6.0V
- 9.6 kg/cm (133.3 oz/in) @ 7.4V
- 10.6 kg/cm (147.2 oz/in) @ 8.4V
Speed:
- 0.035 sec/60 @ 6.0V
- 0.032 sec/60 @ 7.4V
- 0.030 sec/60 @ 8.4V

The Align 525m servo has like 41 oz/in @ 6v. compare to 116! and plus this servo can work in a standard size and mini too..

See how this goes...

As far as the ESC goes.... my CC ESC 80HV is running fine... the heat isnt that bad at all.... I dont have a temp gun but the ESC is only warm... the motor is touchable... Doesn't feel like burning or anything.

Plus they use the 80HV on the Align 600L with the 750MX motor and read there are no problems with it.

So if the 80HV can definitely handle the 500MX the 90 Talon should be fine too.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOFparts View Post

Been using the talon 90's on my 500's for a while with zero problems - way over kill IMHO.....dont even think the KDE motors will tax it....-
You're right of course It was in the 550 sub-forum that I read it.

I've got Talon 90s in both my 500s and in my 550. Two of them are in scale fuselages, and get pretty warm, but haven't shut down on me yet.
Abenn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
yeah I was running the same gain, everything or it didnt even matter what gain I put it at... still wag and tail kicking. I did both gov and fix points. no difference. I read a post about someone having the same issue and he replaced his tail servo and the tail kick went away.

So guessing my tail sevo isnt powerful enough to hold the tail in hard pump ups after the crashed. So today I put a new DS515m servo for the tail and it was better but still a slight kick. Just the DS515m servos are for cyclic, so the speed wasn't fast enough....

The guy I read on purchase the RJX servo... guessing the clone of the Bk 7005HV....

I ordered the DS-7005HV BK Tail Servo

Specifications:

Operating Voltage: 6.0V - 8.4V
Weight: 50g (1.70 oz)

Torque:
- 8.4 kg/cm (116.7 oz/in) @ 6.0V
- 9.6 kg/cm (133.3 oz/in) @ 7.4V
- 10.6 kg/cm (147.2 oz/in) @ 8.4V
Speed:
- 0.035 sec/60 @ 6.0V
- 0.032 sec/60 @ 7.4V
- 0.030 sec/60 @ 8.4V

The Align 525m servo has like 41 oz/in @ 6v. compare to 116! and plus this servo can work in a standard size and mini too..

See how this goes...

As far as the ESC goes.... my CC ESC 80HV is running fine... the heat isnt that bad at all.... I dont have a temp gun but the ESC is only warm... the motor is touchable... Doesn't feel like burning or anything.

Plus they use the 80HV on the Align 600L with the 750MX motor and read there are no problems with it.

So if the 80HV can definitely handle the 500MX the 90 Talon should be fine too.

Try the comp setting on the ar7200.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

The talon 90 'Sweet spot '
brought to you by align.....

Yeah - its that ill fated marriage - the 550L's and the 'wrong way' Talon 90 that comes with the kit.......If you're smart you dump/sell it on the forums for 50 smacks before even trying.....they almost appear daily here forsale.....

Which makes a good deal for the 500 peoples -best in deal in town for over kill on a 500 - and that's before you consider that awesome bec...

However the HobbyWing 100 V3's are a super buy too - with logging - and arguably slightly better gov......and just as good a bec....

My guess is Align will jump to stripped down oem versions of Hobbywings in future to save some coin - so enjoy the inflection of cheap/plentiful supply of Talon 90's that this rift has created....'planets have aligned' -while it lasts....

-

Last edited by SumOFparts; 10-21-2015 at 10:12 PM..
SumOFparts is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in