Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120 SR DX6i Settings - Programming Log

Hi Everyone:

Fellow pilots Perschek and VooDuuChild have reported that my settings for the mSR also work well for the 120 SR. Personally, I am unable to verify this as I do not own a 120 SR but understand that it is just a larger mSR. I realize that there are other threads here with DX6i settings and everyone will have their own preferences, but VooDuuChild has recommended that I share my mSR settings here with some slight modifications. For details on the mSR settings, please see: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=166229

Notes About My Settings

- I prefer some mild negative EXPO around the centre of the sticks.
- I've added some mixing between RUDD->ELEV to try to remove the mSR's 5in1's automatic rudder mixing but do not know if this applies to the 120 SR.
- In order to engage the flight settings, F MODE (flight mode) must be toggled on the switch. GEAR mode has a depressed throttle curve designed for safety, not for flight.

Some Recommendations

If you are new to the DX6i and programming, check out the crib sheet here first for information: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Spektrum_DX6i_crib_sheet

If you are a new pilot, I would recommend starting with the default settings on the Tx. My settings are more aggressive and are not designed for a brand new pilot. Once you become familiar and comfortable with the flight characteristics and responses of the heli you could begin to program the Tx to tailor your flying needs. When you begin to program the Tx you may opt to program one item at a time in order to learn what that function does or program all items exactly as indicated.

I cannot guarantee that these settings will work for the 120 SR and cannot answer any questions specific to the 120 SR but If you have any recommendations/corrections for me they would be welcome. I would like to thank Elamkin from RCG for the programming log template.

Enjoy your flight!

-Linac
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 120 SR DX6i Linac.pdf (577.0 KB, 3216 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have both the mSR and 120SR.

I initially used my mSR settings but found I needed to scale back my 120SR throttle curve to get the same mid-stick hover baseline as with my mSR. I make the curve flatter in the middle between positions 2 and 3 (about 30° slope vs 45° linear), H = 100% and then adjust pos 4 to keep response above hover linear.

On take off moving the stick above center gets it into the air quickly and smoothly then I ease the stick back to center into a hover. The flatter position 2-3 curve in the middle hover range works like EXPO for the throttle so inadvertent movement of throttle stick when making rudder changes doesn't yo-yo the model up/down as much as a linear curve does.

I didn't find it necessary to mix out the built-in 5-in-1 mixing on the mSR. I tried it both ways (mixing it out and stock) and found I liked stock configuration better. I don't do piros very often and when I do I'm not bothered by a bit of wobble.

Since I'm more interested in scale flying that stunts I use the mixing to automatically keep both models on track in FF.

MIX1: ELV > RUD
MIX2: ELV > AIL

Once trimmed for hover I flew straight lines with just elevator (moving the stick at the base so as not to inadvertently apply aileron) and observed how it deviated. Next I flew the same circuits correcting manually until I knew how much constant stick deviation from center was needed. Then using the monitor function of my DX6i I dialed in the same amount of movement with the mixes. Using the monitor that way eliminated a lot of trail and error. The first time I flew with the mixes it went straight with just elevator input.

Some might argue its better to correct FF manually. I don't disagree, and did that for some time to know how to set the mixing, but for me its a matter of convenience, like cruise control in my car, and using all the capabilities of the Tx. I didn't find much mixing was needed on the mSR but it is helpful when flying the 120SR fast outdoors because it has a tendency to pitch and yaw to the right. With the mixes on the models fly straight when just the elevator is moved - the mixing adjusts the rudder and aileron automatically, similar to the way cruise control in a car adjusts power to maintain constant speed.

Mixing moves the aileron servo without any aileron stick movement but performance is the same as when the same amount of aileron was applied manually to keep it straight in FF. I have R: - 60 aileron mix on my 120SR and have no trouble doing flat out fast, steeply banked aileron turns in either direction CW or CCW.

Mixing can be set so it can be toggled on and off with one of the console switches (I use the AIL D/R switch) for with/without comparison or to disable when desired.
RoundWing is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My mSR is so jacked up, I don't even bother with the MIX settings on it.

But for the 120SR I also do MIX1 ELEV-> AILE and changed the throttle curve to get off the ground faster. I made flying MUCH more enjoyable! I was doing -15, but I'll try -60 tonight.
Mistersalt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Linac Settings

I really can't believe this post by Linac has not had more attention. It is a Sticky on the mSR site and many people use these settings including myself on their mSR.

Yes, I know I'm on the 120 SR site. I was hoping more people would have tried these settings on their 120 SR as they really woke up the mSR.

Linac doesn't have a 120 SR so he can't help confirm the settings and I'm pretty new to this game. If some of you higher tech folks have a chance, please give these settings a try and comment your findings.

You can find the mSR post as the top Sticky on the mSR site. Flyers there indicated these settings also woke up the 120 but really no comments here on the 120 site,

Maybe these settings are not popular with the 120, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks again Linac for the settings that absolutely made my mSR such fun to fly both inside and outside.
38el is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have some settings that a guy from germany put on the forum and I copied and the post for some reason turned into an unrelated photo portfolio after two days.The settings, though odd, are excellent and flies the 120 exactly like an MSR. Iv'e tried three cameras to copy the Tx screen all of which cannot satisfactorily resolve the text. I just simply typed the settings in my own post, though it looks complicated once you become aquainted with it it works. Just do a search and you will find the post "Here are my Dx6i settings which are great". The 120 will fly almost too fast outdoors with the proper weight distribution (a little nose heavy) and will float through doorways with ease. Another helpful mod is to turn each servo link in exactly one turn (clockwise) to add more forward momentum.
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Linac,

I have been flying my 120SR for about two weeks now with the stock heli settings on my DX8 minus a slightly reworked throttle curve to get off the ground faster. As I progress with the 120SR do you know if I should make any changes to your settings when inputting them into my DX8 as they were written for the DX6i? Thanks!
sixspeed is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really don't know since my original Dx6i is slightly different than my new extra one (set up as a buddy box) and do not exactly match each other setting for setting.
singingperry is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

38el: Thanks very much for your comments here and on the mSR board! It seems that these settings are not as common with the 120 SR. Perhaps the 120 SR pilots feel like tailoring more of their own settings?

sixspeed: The posted settings were really designed for the mSR and the DX6i, but you could perhaps program the analogous settings as another model in the DX8 and try them out, tweak them, and also experiment with your own.

Have a great flight guys! Thanks.

-Linac
Old 01-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Dx8 Settings

I just upgraded to the Dx8 and would like to have your DX8 settings for the 120 SR. I think Linac has a form to use so that others can print out the settings. That is what he did for the mSR.

Linac, can you help here again. Pass on the form to the other user with the Dx8?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default form for setting

Linac, anyway you can get singingperry the form to use to display and print out the settings so he doesn't need to take pictures of the settings. Sounds like he might also have some good settings for the 120 SR.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi 38el and everyone:

The form that is posted is only for the DX6i, not the DX8. If anyone needs more details about the form, please feel free to PM me. Thanks.

-linac
Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default The settings

I just copied over my your settings (Linac) from the mSR to another memory location in my Dx6 and renamed is to HELI 120.

These settings also seem to bring the 120 to life just like the mSR. I didn't change anything.

Thanks again Linac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in