Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > SAB Goblin 500/570

SAB Goblin 500/570 SAB Heli Division - Goblin 500/570 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Getting 90 on the tail shaft

I'm wrestling with making sure there is 90 degrees on the tail shaft as I pull back on the tail assembly to tighten the tail belt. Its seems off to me just a bit.

Does anyone have a good technique for pulling on the tail assembly and assuring 90 degrees to the boom whilst tightening the tail belt?

Thanks.
MIKADO VControl Touch | iCharger 406 Duo | Meanwell RSP-1500W-24V
CaptHal8HS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just loosen up all four bolts and put my foot on the back of the bottom of the battery tray where the skids slide onto the bottom frame and pull back then tighten the bolts. Then I spin the head and look at the belt to make sure it rides to the left on the tail pulley (looking from the tail forward). I also look at the tail shaft from different angles to make sure it looks squared up.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are talking about 90^ via along the Table it is rather easy to do....
You can take the Pully Pin and Locate its CENTER in comparison to the BOOM.... If it is not on center as some are not. Draw a Simple Line with PAPER or what ever a SQUARE length of Paper the length of the Boom. If it is 4 inches to center of the Pin off the table. Then at 4Inches at the other end. YOU should have NO Drift Up or Down. the Boom where it plugs into the Block... Easy right?

It it is Left or right, from the top center of the Body. Use the Swash hold. By Putting a ROD thru your swash hold that is straight. The rod should touch Center of the Pully again/ As well as your Main Shaft.
Most Main Shafts and Swash Holds are in a Straight Line on Center.

Hope these two simple tips help
FAST EDDY is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST EDDY View Post
You can take the Pully Pin and Locate its CENTER in comparison to the BOOM.... If it is not on center as some are not. Draw a Simple Line with PAPER or what ever a SQUARE length of Paper the length of the Boom. If it is 4 inches to center of the Pin off the table. Then at 4Inches at the other end. YOU should have NO Drift Up or Down. the Boom where it plugs into the Block... Easy right?

It it is Left or right, from the top center of the Body. Use the Swash hold. By Putting a ROD thru your swash hold that is straight. The rod should touch Center of the Pully again/ As well as your Main Shaft.

I would imagine he is talking about 90* to the main shaft.

I have to be honest here, I have NO idea what you just wrote. Draw a line on paper? Put a rod through the swash hold? What's a swash hold?

To the OP, I just eyeball the tail shaft looking down the tail, and compare it to the main shaft. You do need 3 hands typically. I employ my son to evenly tighten the bolts while I hold tension and squareness.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
RCHN #0650 AMA# 448427
th0rg0d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Okay. Thanks. This needs to be improved big-time on this model.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
TT
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyon187 View Post
I just loosen up all four bolts and put my foot on the back of the bottom of the battery tray where the skids slide onto the bottom frame and pull back then tighten the bolts. Then I spin the head and look at the belt to make sure it rides to the left on the tail pulley (looking from the tail forward). I also look at the tail shaft from different angles to make sure it looks squared up.
This is similar to what I do but why do you want the belt to ride on the left of the tail pulley?

I pull back, tighten the left side bolts, get the right side bolts snug, spin the head, slide the right plate back or forward until the belt is centered, then tighten the right side bolts. Works for me.

I have the Lynx upper tail cases which makes the tail more solid when adjusting.
TT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have the lynx tail case as well. I've just always seen others ride to the left. The way the belt is twisted and the rotation of the front tail pulley makes the tail belt ride to the left side of the rear tail pulley (looking from the tail towards the rotor head)

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHal8HS View Post

it could be improved, I agree. but it's worked for thousands of people for a few years now.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

What about the Lynx upgrades? Do they help this situation?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think they do.

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think they don't, not at all.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST EDDY View Post

You need to make a youtube video so we can follow wtf your talking about.
artimus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHal8HS View Post
Agreed, that part of the design is mediocre.

I believe the Lynx tail case does help because it includes two solid rectangular pieces - one alloy and one CF - which dont exist in the stock design. Their shape locks in the angle of the tail case, and adjustment is more or less impossible.
H2SO4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2016, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The OEM Goblin tail box assembly, using the individual standoffs, is horrible. Mechanically, it's VERY difficult to keep the two side plates parallel to each other as well as keeping the tail shaft/bearings aligned with each other. Once you do get them aligned, now you have to pull on the assembly to tighten the belt and in doing so, is extremely easy to tweak it back out of alignment. All of my Goblins have the Lynx tail box which is basically a machined block, and once assembled is squared off to keep everything lined up. It's an absolute no brainer for me. IMHO of course! I've never looked back and my tail bearings last MUCH longer as they maintain their alignment to each other so much better. My time and frustration doing maintenance, belt tensions and adjustments is so much lower now. Worth every penny for me!

I will add that it's probably one of, if not, the worst part of the Goblin design out of the box and don't understand why they have not changed it yet.

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can see your points but from my personal experience the tail box just worked on my 500 sport. Not sure why. I just tightened the bolts in a X fashion,front up, rear down, front down, rear up, the same time as the other side and it worked well. Just don't torque down one bolt fully at a time as this will twist the box out of alignment. Instead go a bit at a time following an X pattern and you're done.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's still very possible with the Lynx tail case stiffener to have the box out of square when you tighten the bolts on the boom as I have found. I'm done stuffing around trying/guessing and all I do now is just mount a heavy battery in, and hang by the tail giving a little wriggle side to side and downwards with a sudden stop and let it hang while tightening the bolts and I am done. It may or may not look square after that but the machine runs and runs well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in