Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lightbulb Genius CP Upgrades?

Hey everybody!

Got a Genius CP coming in tomorrow as my second bird for indoor flying since most days it's just too damn windy to fly outside in Colorado. It sounds like the perfect little heli, but I know there's always room for improvement.

Since this little guy has been out for some time, I'm wondering what things people wish they would've done first-flight to this bird? I am a fairly good pilot, but not so great on the technical front, so as much detail as possible would be fantastic. I'm looking to advance my (beginner) 3D flight, if that helps at all.

Thanks, in advance and happy flying!

Sean
What Now?!?
sbillingham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sean you will enjoy the Genius and I bought mine for similar reasons (rainy windy winters) There are a number of mods people will recommend, all of them helpful. Try this web site which I have found to be invaluable.

http://benmlee.com/Genius.htm

The landing gear mod is not too hard (comes with full plans and instructions) and not expensive either. I did this before I even connected the first battery and I am still using the original frame.

If you are doing 3D in the lounge I suggest the servo saver mod too again before you try any flips rolls or inverted moves.

While I haven't swapped out the stock motor for brushless yet, you may want to read the posts in here before you do anything. This can also be done later

I found Tom's TX settings a great starting point to tweak to my personal preferences too. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=400204
PaulsBA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Sean.
like the above post states, some kind of frame/ skid strengthening mod would be ideal. I personally didnt bother until the frames were out of stock in the UK for a month. Before you fly there are 3 mods I would do.

1- I would fit the walkera Mini CP tail rotor as this will eliminate tail blow outs

2- using 2 small cable ties, first tie the rx board onto its mounting plate so as to compress its mounting foam. This will firm up the helis response assuming you have no vibes. Then using the second cable tie I would secure the receivers main power wires to the first cable tie. This is a great mod as those wires get a little frayed from battery changes. Not needed if you go brushless BTW.

3- throw the stock batteries away and use either Hyperion CX 240mah cells or the nano tech 300mah and change the connectors to something like micro Deans plugs. This mod will give you at least 2 minutes more flight time with the stock motor.

Dont be so quick to go brushless, the increase in power is almost unnoticeable unless you also change the pinion to a smaller ( 7 or 8 ) one. you will also get much shorter flights with brushless. That said, the stock motor will likely last for about 50 flights but they are cheap. Dont be tempted by the double (main and tail) brushless conversion as it offers no improvement being too heavy with a weak tail.

I run mine stock for a few weeks, then go BL when the stock motor wears out and I'm waiting for a new one. flights are 4.5 mins brushless compared to 6.5 - 7.45 stock depending on your main motor as some are good and some are not so good.

I rambled a bit but what i'm basically saying is if you dont crash that often and believe collective management is part of normal flying then a stock Genius with better lipo's and tail rotor will suffice for most people. . . . . . in my opinion at least.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awesomely quick responses! Thanks, guys!

I can say this: I will definitely be doing the servo saver mod immediately. Got it to learn some more 3D, so crashes are in the future, many times over! Sounds like that landing gear mod would be a wise decision, as well.

I've already decided to wait on the brushless to see if anything better comes out from Walkera directly (no sense going with a reportedly bad product). If it doesn't before my stock main goes back, I'll just see what people have come up with by then. Also, sounds like a brushed tail motor is the way to go, regardless. Any thoughts?

Las thing, alphonso. Will the stock battery support mild 3D or will it be necessary to upgrade before even attempting?

Thanks!

Sean
What Now?!?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

As regards the stock battery. I like many others when the genius came out had the benefit of the forums and the great guys who debug new releases for us. It became common knowledge that the stock lipo was below par and so ran hyperions from the start. I did have a few flights with the stock cells before I removed the walkera connector from the RX board and it only had power to compare with the hyperions for the first minute and gave about 3.5 minutes flight. Another stock cell was worn out and tired from new. You'd probably get a flip or two in before the motor bogged.

The stock cells take less and less charge with almost every cycle too so I would just forget about them.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good to know. Next step: Hyperions with mini-deans. Thanks again, alphonso!

Loving the durability of this little bird!
What Now?!?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've flown and crashed mine a hundred times. Literally. Here's what broke so far:

Tail rotor. Main blades.
Landing skids. Servo. Canopy.

It is nice to have the mCPX tail rotor blades.
The skids I glued. Bought 1 new servo and 1 new canopy so far.
..and I tape canopy cracks to keep it in one piece.

...and I also changed the connectors to micro deans. I have 4 batteries that are the stock type. I can flip it ok if I get enough altitude. It still flies good though I think the batteries are getting weaker.

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
genius cp, micro, upgrade, walkera

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in