Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > NextD - Stingray 500

NextD - Stingray 500 CJY Stingray 500 Quad Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stingray 500 questions

I have a couple of questions about the Stingray 500. I have been away from flying helis for a couple of years, used to fly 600 and 700 class helis. I want to get back into flying but I want to stay small so I can fly at a few local area fields without hitting the RC flight field all the time. The Stingray looks like a great small craft for my application.

1- Is it easy to lose orientation with this bird? It is rather small. I plan to place yellow rotor blades on the front.

2- How much wind will it take before landing becomes an issue.

3- Does anyone make aftermarket colors blades for the stingray?

I want to sport fly, so I think a 4s 3300mha setup would be best for my needs. I have Real Flight 7.5 on the way so I can start practicing again.

thanks
whittb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2015, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittb View Post
I have a couple of questions about the Stingray 500. I have been away from flying helis for a couple of years, used to fly 600 and 700 class helis. I want to get back into flying but I want to stay small so I can fly at a few local area fields without hitting the RC flight field all the time. The Stingray looks like a great small craft for my application.

1- Is it easy to lose orientation with this bird? It is rather small. I plan to place yellow rotor blades on the front.

It is more difficult to gauge orientation. I use the canopy for this. After a while you get used to it. It does have pretty good presence in the sky. This is part of the challenge.
It does look crazy in the sky.

2- How much wind will it take before landing becomes an issue.

It takes quite a bit of wind. Landing is probably easier than for a normal heli.
Normally I just mini auto about 1 ft off the ground..

3- Does anyone make aftermarket colors blades for the stingray?

Not that I am aware, though a lot of tail blades fit, maybe kbdd blades will work.
I don't worry about blade colours

I want to sport fly, so I think a 4s 3300mha setup would be best for my needs. I have Real Flight 7.5 on the way so I can start practicing again.

Realflight is the sim for the stingray.
Stingray is pretty addictive.
It does require a bit of fiddling around with to keep going, but nothing horrendous.
I think if you have a choice 6s is probably best.
Quite a few people are reinforcing booms with carbon tube to improve resilience.
I have got mine to the point where the crash tolerance and cost of crashes is less that of a 500 crash. Damage now is generally one boom, two rotor spindles, and blade supports. lCuriously I have not yet broken a blade, though some are a bit bashed.

M

thanks
Hope this is OK
Old 03-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default re

I am used to Phoenix simulator but since Real flight has the Stingray listed, I purchased it.

I hear a lot about 6S, it seems to me that the extra weight would reduce your flight times. Is the stock 4S that week on power? Also looks like the stock ESC will run 6S. What is the max 6S battery size you recommend.

I plan to reinforce the booms with carbon fiber. I wander if anyone has bent the aluminum boom blocks yet with the carbon Inserts.

thanks
Old 03-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quote:
I am used to Phoenix simulator but since Real flight has the Stingray listed, I purchased it.

I hear a lot about 6S, it seems to me that the extra weight would reduce your flight times. Is the stock 4S that week on power? Also looks like the stock ESC will run 6S. What is the max 6S battery size you recommend.

In terms of energy density of the battery there is not any difference between 6s and 4s. The motor power and efficiency might be a bit better. Probably the main difference is more bang when you want it. I use 1600 ma 6S, but I think you can go to 2200 ma 6s without issue.

I plan to reinforce the booms with carbon fiber. I wander if anyone has bent the aluminum boom blocks yet with the carbon Inserts.

I haven't bent any of the core aluminium bits.
The landing gear is fragile and you will soon want to change that.
I use TREX 450 landing gear and this has not broken so far.

So from a mechanical point of view reinforcing the booms and change the landing gear, makes it reasonably sturdy.

M

thanks
Hope this is OK
Old 03-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

450 size Gorilla Gear work great as landing struts.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2015, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bum, Gorilla Gear is on my list. do you recommend 4S of 6S for sport flying with longer flight times?

if I do not go the Quad direction, I am going with the Gaui X5.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Bum, Gorilla Gear is on my list. do you recommend 4S of 6S for sport flying with longer flight times?

if I do not go the Quad direction, I am going with the Gaui X5.
I never flew mine 4S, so I can't really say. 6S is going to be easier on the packs (less amperage required).

As for the strength of CF inserts, the ones I bought from Hobby King didn't hold up well at all. The walls are only about 0.5mm thick though. It's possible that tubes with 1mm thick walls would do the trick.

What are you flying now in the way of traditional helis? If you have a 700 and want to use the same packs, might I suggest a DT520. 5000mAh packs will make the X5 way too nose heavy whereas the DT520 is quite happy with them.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 03-02-2015, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am not flying anything at the moment. Just getting back in to Helis after a 2 yr. break. I looked at DT, but I want tried and true over new and untested. I used to be a miniature air craft fan.
Furion 6 and a Furry 55.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
I am not flying anything at the moment. Just getting back in to Helis after a 2 yr. break. I looked at DT, but I want tried and true over new and untested. I used to be a miniature air craft fan.
Furion 6 and a Furry 55.
I wouldn't say it's untested. It's on version 2 now. Did you notice that MA is coming back from the grave?
Graupner MZ-32

Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, herd rumor of a private German buyer.
Wish them the best of luck.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i have a question as well. I fly quadcopters. What would you guys say would be a better buy get a stingray 500 or a 450 size 3d helicopter lets say a mini titan e360 ? Which is easier to fly , learn and do 3d acrobatics with ?
severus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you already fly quads the stingray will be easier to fly,
Busher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the quad will be easier.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

and i suspect the repair costs if it crashes will be cheaper on the stingray then they would be on a helicopter as well ?
severus is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
HF Support

Hmm, I just don't know. Being a heli pilot for a good long while before getting the Stingray I might be a little biased, but I think a heli is infinitely easier to set up and fly than the Stingray. Helis just have less quirks and things that can go wrong in my experience. You just have one rotor to set up (ok two if you count the tail) and you have a plethora of flight controllers with lots of nifty features to choose from. The collective response is better and the behavior around neutral collective is more linear and predictable. Also orientation is easier to keep track of on a heli...in my opinion of course.

As far as crash costs, I guess it depends on the heli and the crash, but I wouldn't exactly call the parts for the Stingray cheap. Just about any hard crash is going to cost at least $100, probably more. I wouldn't say it's any cheaper than repairing a 450-500 class heli

Don't get me wrong. I love my Stingray and think it's a blast, but I just don't think it's easier than a heli per se. And once you get past the beginner stage, for raw 3D performance a heli is the way to go any day of the week.
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in