Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Throttle servo setup

Whats up guys ive tried searching the topic but for some reason its not working on my iphone. Does anyone have a good thread or video to point me in the right direction on the proper way to set up a throttle servo. Not sure i you have to have it plugged into governor or right into rx first. Going ti be using an ar7200bx with csm revlock30 with ds620 throttle servo. Using a dx8 also. Last time i had my buddy help but i want to get it right myself. Thanks in advance
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It goes

ar7200 --> governor --> servo

Make sure that you set your throttle curves so that you are running the correct headspeed across your flightmodes with the governor switched off, i.e. set up the throttle curves as if you didnt have a governor.

Otherwise if your governor fails (magnet spins out or sensor malfunctions) you will HAVE to autorotate to land, whatever orientation you are in when it fails.
jimmyhorns is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh ok i thought i had to plug the throttle servo into rx just to get the geometry right first then hook it thru the gov after my links were setup
Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

you can do, but with the governor set to inactive, it will act as a pass through, so what signal goes in should go out, plus, if there are any differences when its connected to the governor (which there shouldnt) you would want it set up with the governor there (but inactive) as this will be your final setup.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is your engine broken in? If not, get that done first. Once your satisfied with how it's running, then worry about a governor.
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah its broken in. Im actually waiyin to recieve it, but i wanted to research how to setup my throttle and gov while i wait till thurs or friday when its get here in the mail. Just alittle unfamiliar with it since last time i had a nitro my buddy ran thru that part of setup real quick or me
Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had the same problem when I got my nitros...so I scrapped the Gov idea. Besides I needed to work on collective management anyway. Since the Gov will mask poor collective skills, going without was a good idea
X-cell Fury 90: 601/9251, 8231's Cyc; DS650; OS 91MP-6; Jr Vibe 90; OS 91RJX Pipe; Jr 8231 cyclic, 770 3D/G8900, Prfct Reg. CCPM; T-Rex 600 NP: 6965HB, 425MG Throttle GY 520/9254; OS50 Hyper,MP-5, Prfct Reg; 600E Bstx, nue1910
seanh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would have to disagree with it masking any poor collective management skills. It will give a good consistent headspeed through out the flight envelope as long as your collective management is good. Without the governor you will be in danger of over speeding the engine in certain situations which is tough on an engine. And getting those curves just right isn't all that easy. DO set up a simple linear curve so if your gov does crap out you're not working on an auto in an unexpected moment.

Look in Finless Bob's tech room. He has a vid on gov set up. I haven't watched it but they aren't that difficult to figure out.

Last edited by efergie72; 06-12-2012 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: poor grammar
efergie72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by efergie72 View Post
And getting those curves just right isn't all that easy. DO set up a simple linear curve so if your gov does crap out you're not working on an auto in an unexpected moment.
Which is exactly why I would suggest that setting up the throttle curve without the govenor being active is important.

Having a headspeed race off upwards because the governor fails is possibly worse than having to auto.

A linear curve will do just that on most setups.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks guys ive got some researching to do, im going to be using the revlock 30 so im just trying to be prepared so i can get this thing flying by the weekend
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i dont know what im doing wrong but i cant get the throttle servo fully open to hit the dash on the carb. i got it right at middle and low end but i cant get the high end. the servo wont move far enough. tried moving balls in and out. gettign frustrated now might just wait till sunday and have my friend show me how to do it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in