Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Car and Truck Info and Support > Electric > Monster Trucks

Monster Trucks Monster Trucks On and Off-Road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL - mini review

http://www.rchobbiesandmore.com/Trax...8-details.aspx

Got this as a toy to keep my daughter busy while I'm flying. But I can see myself having a lot of fun at the local indoor or outdoor track.

This is a 1/16 model, so I wasn't expecting such a versatile setup. It has two battery bays, and it's very flexible with the power options.

* run on one 6S NiMH (it comes with this)
* attach serial Y to run on two packs or 12S NiMH
* run on one 2S LiPo
* run on one 3S LiPo
* attach parallel Y to run on two matched packs, 2S2P or 3S2P LiPo, or 6S2P NiMH

It came with a different pinion for 12S, and they say you can get 50mph/80kph in that configuration. The controller also has a "50% capped" training mode, which I found useful for handing over to my daughter. Heck, I can't see a need for anything faster, yet.

All waterproof-- they didn't have that when I was a kid. Dewy grass or puddles or mud would not be a thing to be afraid of, but relished. (They advise you to drill small drain holes in the foam-supported tires and spin them out after you run it wet.)

I tried it at the park, and it had great range. It drove through grass faster than I would be able to bicycle, even in that mode. It dealt with fat wet grass very well considering the small size of the truck, and it hardly slowed while going up a long snow-sledding hill. Got home after 20 minutes of goofing around with a 2S2P LiPo set, and found the batteries were only half drained.

Last edited by halley; 01-02-2010 at 11:04 AM..
halley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

what is the specs of the traxxas batterys?
coolkylling is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Crazy, this video supposedly is with the stock set up.... if that is correct, extra power must be super insane

Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I don't think the video is correct - 4S2P? But yes, I can wheelie myself 360 forward or backward with the stock setup on 2S2P or 3S2P.

The battery bays will fit 3S lipo but I don't think the esc will take 4S. You have to turn off lipo voltage cutoff if you run 3 cells, and they do include the higher gearing for twin nickel packs. I think they really just meant 2S2P, not getting their lipo terms right, which is still pretty hot and able to jump and flip.

(Speaking of not getting terms right, I just noticed a typo in my prior posting, I didn't mean 3S3P, but 3S2P. There's not three battery bays, of course.)
halley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is some sweet RC car and NOT expensive when compared against our helis. I can't wait until my kid gets a bit older so I can buy "him" more toys
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have one and it is stupidly powerful and fast, just flips over for nothing, I am going to gear it down to slow it and cool it down.
Zoobie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

gearing it down is gonna give it more torque and it will flip over even easier, just accelerate slower.
RJ79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Nice review halley. I bought my 6-year old son a 1/16 Slash VXL last month. He loves it! Its a great little car and I'm loving it too. I plan on buying a Rustler VXL later this month.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Traxxas 1/16 E Revo

I just ordered myself a Traxxas 1/16 E Revo today, should have it by wednesday, thursday at the latest. This will be my 1st rc car/truck in almost 18 years, looking forward to it. I also purchased the 1/12 Brushless Miss Elam hydro boat this weekend. Looks like I'm going to be busy for the next couple of weeks......

RWalker
jaywalker36 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

got to get me one
jayboy0093 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Update:

I swapped out the 27 MHz crystal controller for a 4-channel 2.4GHz controller. I also went with metal toe links, which allow adjustment of the alignment. The only part that breaks is the part that holds the front bumper... a bad design that snaps in an inconvenient unglue-able spot if you hit too many curbs head-on.

Parallel Battery Y Cord
25C LiPo 1800mAh x2
Aluminum Adjustable Toe Links
Aluminum Push Rods
Front Bumper/Body Mount

I've run this thing all over the place, but the most fun I had was having a picnic with the family. It was the first sunny and warm Saturday this year, so of course everyone was out having picnics or playing at the playground.

I drove the E-Revo VXL all over the large lawn at the park, following the paved trails and skidding around on the gravel and landscaping hills. The car is a toddler-magnet. They spend five minutes chasing it in circles. By the time the parents say "wow, Little Johnny will nap well today," the kid has suddenly switched from catch-the-car mode into flee-from-car mode. It was like a cat who sees a laser pointer. Even the old lady walking her hunting dog was amused, but I thought the dog was going to yank her to the ground by the leash, so I stayed clear for a while.

Even at the low gear setting, it outruns any bicycle in the park, and the operating range was farther than I could reliably see it to drive. I just had to be careful not to flip it where nobody was around to rescue the turtle.

The 2S2P lipo setup ran for a combined 30 minutes of mostly hauling ass across grass and bike ways. I'm thinking of wiring some kind of noise-maker to the two spare channels. Way more fun than I ever imagined, and glad I bought it.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just got one of these for myself as a gift for the holidays, frikkin love it!

Runs on 2s lipo in parallell now. Wow!
johan84 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My sons have one each.

The ten year old loves the speed (using 4 A123 in series), the 7 year old is happy with one standard NiMH-pack.

They are really much fun in snowy conditions

Martin
Old 01-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

This review and the attached video convinced me to get one today! One stock battery and it does wheelies on the carpet! I have 4 1600 2s turnigy lipos on order! And the parallel plug, hello 4s.

The downside is I'm not getting a 550e any time soon!
{ HK450PRO TT/ PLUSH40-4400KV-JR G370:3500
{ TREX250 SE super combo- stock
{ Novus CP125
{ mSR { DX7
roland1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post
And the parallel plug, hello 4s.
Er, parallel plug gives you 2S2P, or 3S2P not 4S. The ESC won't take the voltage of 4S lipo. The 3S voltage is screaming hot as it is.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I bought myself a Rustler with the titan motor in it recently. Drove that around for a day(after flying a B400 this is alot easier than learning to hover) the next day i went in and bought the VXL setup to increase speeds. It was great. Drove that around for a few more days then ended up changing out the 7 cell NiMH for a 3S 5400Lipo this thing is insane. Almost impossible to get traction and not pop up the front end. So i got a Wheelie bar. I would recommend this setup if someone is looking for 4 on the ground! Next i want to get the Spartan boat. 50+ on the water sounds good!
DSG04Lightning is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by halley View Post
Er, parallel plug gives you 2S2P, or 3S2P not 4S. The ESC won't take the voltage of 4S lipo. The 3S voltage is screaming hot as it is.
Errr I mean series plug,sorry. Ill put in a different esc if thats the case.
{ HK450PRO TT/ PLUSH40-4400KV-JR G370:3500
{ TREX250 SE super combo- stock
{ Novus CP125
{ mSR { DX7
roland1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2011, 04:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland1 View Post
Errr I mean series plug,sorry. Ill put in a different esc if thats the case.
I have one and it screams on 2s and is stupid fast on 3s. I dont know if the drivetrain and diffs will last on 4s very long and it will be next to impossible to handle on 4s imo. Good Luck though.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just bought myself one a week ago after wanting one for a long time. I freaking love this little thing, running a single 2s lipo in it, and couldn't be happier with the performance for the price. Tough as nails too!

Blade mCP X - brushless / Blade 130x beta / T Rex 450 Pro FBL / HT Flip FPV / DJI F450 / Nano QX FPV beta
WNCmotard is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once u try a 3 cell lipo u won't go back to a 2 cell lol.
Just make sure u get a wheelie bar !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in