Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Nitro Helicopters

700 Class Nitro Helicopters 700 Class Nitro Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Trex 700N tail high pitch vibes during funnel or similar

My regular flying buddy has trex 700N. Awesome heli overall. What seems to occur often is the development of high pitch tail vibes during a inverted tail down funnel or similar inverted tail in hurricane. It usually can get corrected by maintenance on the boom supports and other things related to tail tightness.

As a matter of fact this exact thing happens on the 700e as well.

Seems to be often that this occurs. I fly a TSA 700N and I have never had this occur.

Is this a problem with other Trex owners? And are there some tricks or upgrades that might be done to help minimize this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You already mentioned the problem. The ends of the stock tail boom supports get loose. Easiest fix is to install KDE boom supports.
marc8090 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8090 View Post
You already mentioned the problem. The ends of the stock tail boom supports get loose. Easiest fix is to install KDE boom supports.
I have to say those look pretty good.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8090 View Post
I have to say those look pretty good.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Many use KDE boom supports on a variety of 700's out there. I have them on my 700N as well. I'd also suggest KDE's boom clamp. It has a polymer bushing made into the clamp to grasp the boom without overstressing the boom tube. It includes a pair of special fasteners which are threaded into interference threads and permanently thread locked into the clamp. The supports are then secured with M4 nylock nuts (included). Excellent!

LINK
Old 07-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Many use KDE boom supports on a variety of 700's out there. I have them on my 700N as well. I'd also suggest KDE's boom clamp. It has a polymer bushing made into the clamp to grasp the boom without overstressing the boom tube. It includes a pair of special fasteners which are threaded into interference threads and permanently thread locked into the clamp. The supports are then secured with M4 nylock nuts (included). Excellent!

LINK
Thanks, sounds like good advice.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

have that setup on mine as well. No chance of it coming loose and helps reduce vibs with the polymer bushing inside the boom clamp.

BTW, those special threaded bolts/locknuts have to be bought separate or you can use the stock bolts if you wish:
http://www.kdedirect.com/collections...cts/at700-tbma

If you can still find the KDE metal bracket that attaches the boom supports to the actual airframe side, it really is a complete system. Uses huge locknuts there as well.

OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
have that setup on mine as well. No chance of it coming loose and helps reduce vibs with the polymer bushing inside the boom clamp.

BTW, those special threaded bolts/locknuts have to be bought separate or you can use the stock bolts if you wish:
http://www.kdedirect.com/collections...cts/at700-tbma

If you can still find the KDE metal bracket that attaches the boom supports to the actual airframe side, it really is a complete system. Uses huge locknuts there as well.

I sent this information to my Trex flying buddy.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

While KDE is great you can also pin the end of the boom support by drilling a 1/8" hole through the end and carbon fiber rod then gluing in a small length of 1/8" carbon rod. That will prevent it from working loose, and costs pennies with no wait for shipping.
Drivelayer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yessir. I drill right into the "I" where Align is raised.
"SUPER-STROKER" is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

An update from my KDE boom clamp...a couple of months ago, mine lost the polymer bushing. Patrick indicated he'd never had that happen in all their testing. Leave that to me, I guess. I re-installed the stock tail clamp for the time being, and wrapped the boom with electrical tape to provide some grip and cushion. It's been fine. For the KDE clamp, since all was fine except the bushing, I made my own. I used some metal-reinforced gasket material I had on-hand, and CA'd it to the clamp halves. Then, a thin additional lining of heat shrink tube cut in half, likewise CA'd in place. I'll swap it over winter. But, my stock clamp bolts have been very secure. If I had the stock bushing in-hand, I'd remove it, and use JB Weld to secure it. CA was used, and it simply took too much telescoping action from the side to side loading, I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in