Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Old 03-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
jzalesky
Registered Users

Default Blade 400 Stock Charger Question and Problem....

Hey guys well I have a new blade 400 and I have been learning to hover it. The problem is that the batter is only lasting about 3 mins and each time I used it, it would reduce the time. So I just figured the battery was a dud. I have not even flown more then 3 mins yet so it could not have been over used.

Yesterday how ever I noticed the charge time my charger was doing was way to short. I would charge for about 3 mins then shuts off then starts up again then shows solid read lights meaning its ready. Well there is no way that its ready in 5 mins. I am thinking that the charger is bad but I dont know enough about these things yet. I was curious if anyone has had this problem before? I cant get a good charge for about a month so I am stuck with what I have now.

Again everything is what the kit came with for the B400. If I unplug and plug the battery back in it charges a little more then stops and it will keep doing it. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Oh and I read about 11.4 volts right now across the three cells.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Daman691003

sounds like the charger is junk just get a new one. there area lot of real nice brands out there i have a hyperion and love it.. adn while your at it buy some new batteries too you will need them anyway for flight time... just dont buy a charger from hobbyking a guy on here did and it burned down his house... i have a hyperion and its great..
good luck man if u need anymore help pm me...
Daman691003 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Aox
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My girlfriend's Uncle bought a B400, and crashed it pretty bad, and asked me to put it back together for him. I said, "I'll DO IT THIS ONCE, but from then you, you have to rebuild if you want to fly".

Well, the B400 is a decent little bird, and flies really well. I put it all back together and installed some JR 287MG servos, and charged up his pack with my charger. I noticed his pack got really hot after flying and like you, only lasted about 3.5 min before seriously losing power. I told him to get new packs, and not get eflite packs. That pack was either damaged or low quality. It didn't puff or anything, but it's probably a fairly low C rate, and lower quality to be cheap enough to include in the RTF box. I definitely wasn't impressed. I've also fried my share of eflite chargers, I'm NOT a fan of their cheap little plastic box chargers. I'd scrap that thing as soon as you can afford.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a new charger, you can get a little cellpro or a 3E for 40-50 bucks that'll be fine. There's all kinds of new units out right now that others can recommend. I did the small 3s charger thing, then after a year or so, I got a Logo which runs on 6s, and upgraded to the Thunder Power 1010C, which I freaking LOVE, and has worked like a CHAMP over the past couple of years. Honestly I'm so ignorant of the current charger marked because my TP charger/balancer combo has worked so well, I've never looked beyond it.

Optimally you want to find a charger you like that will tell you how many mah you're putting back in the pack, then you can base your flight timer on your mah calculations. After you upgrade that, buy some quality thunder power or outrage packs, or even some zippy/turnigys from flyhelirus.com and you should be a lot happier.

11.4 is low for a fully charged 3s pack, you want to see around 12.6 for all three cells.

Good luck, and have fun!

-Aox
AMA #902257 - Team Mysterious Raccoon (Yoyo)
Helifreak, Yoyofreak, Network/Systems Engineer, Musician, Deadhead
~~~~~~ Aox - The "A" is Silent!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~
Aox is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
eabing
Registered Users

I had the EXACT same problem. In fact, it happened on two separate batteries. The Lipo that came with the RTF was an 11.1 3s 1800mah. Like you said, I would get about 3 mins flight then all of a sudden I felt the B400 lose power already. I called Horizon Hobby and they told me I had a bad Lipo. Then, they sent me a new one (the same exact battery). I had less than three 4mins 30sec flights on it till the same thing happened again! Now, here's the kicker. When the first battery died, I bought a new Parkzone battery (11.1v, 3s 2200mah) while I was waiting for the replacement. This green Lipo NEVER had any problems and I have probably cycled it atleast 20 times. I would fly the entire 4:30 consistently. I'm sure I could have gotten more but I didn't want to take any chances. The difference I see when I charge both types of Lipos in the same stock charger is that towards the end of the charging, in the green Parzone battery, the LEDs would actually fluctuate from GREEN-YELLOW-RED. Yellow means that the individual cells are being balanced. On the blue stock battery, it goes from GREEN straight to RED. I called Horizon Hobby again and told them my sob story and they offered to send me a 2100mah battery instead but from eflite not from Parkzone. I am still waiting for the second battery to arrive but in the mean time, I decided to go ahead and buy a better charger. I bought a Triton EQ from Tower Hobbies and got the EC3 leads and balancing board from the local hobby shop. I did not want to take any more chances and I did not want to overstay my welcome at Horizon Hobby.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
FLYGUY 11
Registered Users

When I got my B 400, first the same batt problem. Well the esc was not ample, put a phenix 36 on it and it rocked!!! I also had a dud charger that was replaced with a better one.
FLYGUY 11 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
fast400
Registered Users

My HF Map location

heres a cheap charger, not sure how good it is, but its cheap. http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...e-p-29459.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
retired the 3 year old blade400
fast400 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #7
Helis4me
Registered Users

It sounds like you have a charger issue and may be the battery as well.I've got a Blade 400 and I like it too!The battery it came with was ok for a few times then it died.I bought Zippy 2200 20C batteries and a Icharger 208B and never looked back! Exellent!Blade 400 nice bird to fly,very quick and cheap to repair.
Cheers!
Helis4me is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 AM   #8
Dusty1000
Registered Users

Why not do what eabing did, phone up horizon hobby, chances are they'll replace it free of charge.

What are you using for a power supply for the charger?

Dusty
Blade 400, mSR, mCPX - Sonix SX450SE - Walkera 1#A, 4#3, 4#3A, 4#3B, 4G3
Dusty1000 is offline        Reply With Quote

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please