Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > Banshee Helicopters

Banshee Helicopters Banshee Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

My condolences Marcos, it hurts !, what does your kosmik log say, immediate rpm drop must be something slipping or stripping, if belt stripped you will see drop in headspeed but increase in motor rpm, look for that.
Then the pitch down may be similar what happened to tdr at speedcup.
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

That's the weird part, you see the fall in main rotor rpm, a strange jump in Watts or Amps as low as 1000W and back to 6500W for the last 5 seconds, and no loss or rise of motor rpm at all. When I saw the log I suspected the motor. Then I thought it was the belt breaking, when it slips A go down, when it bites again back up. The sound was not intermittent however, constant lower rpm.

Could the Kosmik have had commutation problems? Motor was spinning at 26K rpm since I was governing too high without knowing. Could a commutation problem happen only under load and not when hovering?

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
marcosp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mark, the normal 3D belt is recommended to be changed every 100 flights. If you see wear sooner. The heavy duty belt I really haven't heard. You have to look at it also to know when it is starting to wear.

Banshee #27, 2x TDR, Diabolo, Logo 690SX, Raptor E700, JR Sylphide E12 EX Super Gracy, Voodoo 600, Voodoo 400, Logo 550SE, Logo 400SE, JR Forza 450. Mikado Vcontrol.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's a video about belt tension in Banshee forum. It's pretty tight, no more than 5mm movement when pressing the belt between pinion and gear.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Marcos, if you send the model back to Germany you should add the Kosmik for inspection by Kontronik (that they can forward it to them). Some weeks before IRCHA we had a similar crash with a Diabolo and some SMD parts on one PCB board in the Kosmik became loose from the impact. The Kosmik was declared as totally defective from Kontronik and we got a new one (paying for that in the usual way).

Last edited by Gerd; 10-03-2013 at 03:58 AM..
Gerd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Marcos please send me your log i will pm you my personal email adress, if you saw drop in blade rpm but not in motor something in powertrain between motor and blades failed or malfunctioned, it can be stripped belt slipping pulley one way, etc but kosmik kept motor rpm steady, fact your amp dropped meant no resistance or very little on motor, typical of any of the abovementioned
Old 10-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosp View Post
Upon investigation of he motor pics and logs it seems 99.999999% impossible that the magnets came loose in flight. It should have caused havoc inside the motor which it clearly hasn't. The glue used is extremely strong to forces and heat but is like crystal, very sensitive to strong shocks like this crash.
Marcos, i once had an accident where the motor magnets released due to commutation failure. Every part of motor remained as new, including magnets. Kontronik service replaced motor bell.
swalko is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very sorry to see this Marcos.
I really hope you get her back in the air soon mate
Diablo S coming
Karl57 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerd View Post
Marcos, if you send the model back to Germany you should add the Kosmik for inspection by Kontronik (that they can forward it to them). Some weeks before IRCHA we had a similar crash with a Diabolo and some SMD parts on one PCB board in the Kosmik became loose from the impact. The Kosmik was declared as totally defective from Kontronik and we got a new one (paying for that in the usual way).
Yes, definitely sending it!! Thanks Gerd!

Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalko View Post
Marcos, i once had an accident where the motor magnets released due to commutation failure. Every part of motor remained as new, including magnets. Kontronik service replaced motor bell.
You mean the commutation failiure caused the magnets to break loose? I am starting to adhere to this theory.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
You mean the commutation failiure caused the magnets to break loose? I am starting to adhere to this theory.

Good to see you can see some humor in this!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Marcos, contact Gmauro and see if that is a possibilty.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
In my case yes. But in your case i think that magnets released first. I just wanted to say that the engine may not be damaged when magnets become loose.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsodhi View Post
Good to see you can see some humor in this!!
So you can try it ... Helijive mode8, VStabi governor. Switch to idle, switch to bailout, fast switch back to idle while motor is still spinning and propably you will see a magic .
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalko View Post
So you can try it ... Helijive mode8, VStabi governor. Switch to idle, switch to bailout, fast switch back to idle while motor is still spinning and propably you will see a magic .
Been there......, done it........, with a P800. Did a bailout on the bench and WHAM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Been there......, done it........, with a P800. Did a bailout on the bench and WHAM.
Are you saying that you destroyed a motor by doing that?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, but to qualify this, it was an early P800 which had an issue with the glue used to adhere the magnets, and the magnets came lose while doing some bench tests, involving bailouts.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes, but to qualify this, it was an early P800 which had an issue with the glue used to adhere the magnets, and the magnets came lose while doing some bench tests, involving bailouts.
In that case MUCH better to do that on the bench than in the air!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by abanihani View Post
Marcos, contact Gmauro and see if that is a possibilty.
I've been speaking with Mauro since 10 mins after the crash since we've been working elbow to elbow on this last testing period.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GM-4330 magnets are glued in such a way that they can not be broken off applying all your weight on a screwdriver after heating the can to 150ºC. Only way to break them is with a hard shock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in