Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > Other R/C Flight Simulators

Other R/C Flight Simulators Other R/C Flight Simulators

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry Aerofly 5.7.1.1 for the Mac

I see that some of you have Aerofly 5 for the Mac and that it seems to work well for you.
I bought version 5.0.3.5 on DVD and fairly quickly updated when updates became available. Newer is not always better. The lates version 5.7.1.1 for the Mac rarely recognized my JR 9503. The Aerofly support people suggested it may be one of my components or a bad installation. Well, I deleted all the Ikarus stuff off my Mac and re-installed version 5.0.3.5. It has recognized my JR 9503 every time now for the last four days - several times a day. That never happened with 5.7.1.1. I'm convinced that it's the update and not the components. I'd be happy with 5.0.3.5 except that the throttle/pitch stick (and the heli model's behaviour) has a built-in jerkiness that detracts from the simulation experience.
Coincidentally (maybe), I just noticed that the US Ikarus web site now only offers Aerofly 5 for the Mac with their "new game commander". You can only get the USB interface version for a Windows PC. Makes me wonder...
Any of you have a similar experience?
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Jeez, sorry you are having so much trouble with your JR transmitter. I currently use the DX8 with the 5.7.1.1 Mac interphase version, and it works fine for me. However, I admit that my preferred simulator is the RF6, even though it means that I have to reboot my 17" MBP using Bootcamp.

For Aerofly 5.7, eBay has all 4 versions.
(1) Mac USB Interphase version http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKARUS-AEROF...ht_4455wt_1059

(2) Mac Game Commander version http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ikarus-Aerof...#ht_2403wt_650

(3) Windows USB Interphase version http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKARUS-AEROF...ht_4929wt_1059

(4) Windows Game Commander version http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKARUS-AEROF...ht_4522wt_1059

I use to own the Mac Game Commander version, but the Game Commander controller would need frequent trimming. I got a replacement Game Commander, and it also had similar issues. The Game Commander version worked very well whenever I used the DX8. However, I had to use the Game Commander as an interphase, which would take lots of desk space. Eventually, I sold the Mac Game Commander version, and purchased the Mac Interphase version instead. I also purchased the Window crossgrade version.

Mac to Windows Crossgrade http://www.ikarus.net/index.php/en/p.../shop-usa.html

Windows to Mac Crossgrade http://www.ikarus.net/index.php/en/p.../shop-usa.html
Amain Team Pilot
jhamel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Is help on the way?

Good to see that someone is having success using Aerofly 5.7 and a controller with similar technology. I think Ikarus is trying to be helpful. They've asked me to send them my tm.log file. It may take a few more days for them to get back to me.

By the way, I was wrong about Ikarus no longer selling the USB interface version for the Mac. It was just not on the Ikarus web page that I was linked to that featured, among other things, the game commander version. I had to search for on their somewhat awkwardly organized (in my opinion) web site.

Before I got Aerofly, I considered getting Realflight, but the prospect of re-booting every time made me opt for a simulator that claimed to be designed to work with OSX.

When it's working for me, Aerofly 5.7 looks great, has lots of different models to choose from and behaves very much flying me Trex 450 and Gaui X5. I sure hope the fix is on the way because getting another simulator starts to defeat the purpose of having one.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I also find their website difficult to navigate.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 04-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, the Ikarus Support Team came to my rescue. They asked me to ship them my .tm long, which I did, upgrade to OSX Lion, which I did, and lastly when that didn't fix it, to delete my .main file to reset the software. That last item fixed everything. Jitters virtually (hehe) disappeared, says hello to my JR 9503 every time for over a week now. Am lovin' it. Camera settings allow me to keep the heli in sight so I don't lose it as often, which is really good for continuous learning. This simulator in Mac version rocks!
Kudos Ikarus.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassinThru View Post
Well, the Ikarus Support Team came to my rescue. They asked me to ship them my .tm long, which I did, upgrade to OSX Lion, which I did, and lastly when that didn't fix it, to delete my .main file to reset the software. That last item fixed everything. Jitters virtually (hehe) disappeared, says hello to my JR 9503 every time for over a week now. Am lovin' it. Camera settings allow me to keep the heli in sight so I don't lose it as often, which is really good for continuous learning. This simulator in Mac version rocks!
Kudos Ikarus.
Have you flown Phoenix at all? If so, how does it compare to Aerofly? I used to fly phoenix until my gateway laptop crapped out, and then wanted try it using bootcamp but my mac (new MBP i7 with Lion) won't partition the disk correctly for it to work with bootcamp for some reason If Aerofly has good helicopter physics and does indeed work with mac, it may be a viable option for me.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Good Physics

Scott, I can only compare with my actual flying experience, which admittedly is not a lot. I'm still working on upright flying. However, I think it's enough to say that the physics are very similar to the real thing. For example, even in "no wind" conditions, you can't let your fingers off the controls. The inherent instability of helicopters is well represented, thank you very much. You can also set wind conditions to a vast number of combinations to match actual conditions. I am very satisfied with the physics, and the graphics are adjustable to suit the capabilities of your MBP, which I expect are very good. The variety of sceneries and models is impressive. I am confident Aerofly 5 has the potential to be an excellent trainer for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassinThru View Post
Scott, I can only compare with my actual flying experience, which admittedly is not a lot. I'm still working on upright flying. However, I think it's enough to say that the physics are very similar to the real thing. For example, even in "no wind" conditions, you can't let your fingers off the controls. The inherent instability of helicopters is well represented, thank you very much. You can also set wind conditions to a vast number of combinations to match actual conditions. I am very satisfied with the physics, and the graphics are adjustable to suit the capabilities of your MBP, which I expect are very good. The variety of sceneries and models is impressive. I am confident Aerofly 5 has the potential to be an excellent trainer for you.
Thanks. Do u know if it will work on OS 10.7? I have a DX8 radio, what do I need to get to hook it up? I looked on their website for answers to these q's but I could'nt find anything definitive...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can confirm that AeroFly 5.7 works on my MBP running OSX 10.7 Lion. I also use the DX8 with AeroFly 5.7. However, you need to purchase a special adaptor to connect to the DX8 or Futaba radio. The adaptor is only about $18, but I wish that AeroFly would already include it with the software, especially with the non USB GameCommander version.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the futaba adaptor works with the DX8?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoti333 View Post
So the futaba adaptor works with the DX8?
The adapter is Ikarus part number 31036, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ikarus-AeroF...item3371e77369. It is not just a Futaba adapter, is also works for Spektrum, JR, and Hitec. Ebay has the best price as shipping is included here in the States.

However, if you purchase the Aerofly 5.7 version with the USB GameCommander controller, you will also need Ikarus part 3036010 to be able to use your own controller. http://shop.ikarus-usa.com/Slave-Interface-Cable or http://www.ikarus.net/index.php/en/p.../shop-usa.html.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ikarus Adapter.JPG
Views:	2098
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	309979  
Amain Team Pilot
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanx
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just to be clear, if I get Aerofly 5.7 with the USB interface only (no Gamecommander) I will only need this $18 interface part as well?
bilemshious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilemshious View Post
Just to be clear, if I get Aerofly 5.7 with the USB interface only (no Gamecommander) I will only need this $18 interface part as well?
Yes. That is correct. Whether you purchase the GameCommander version (Mac or Win) or the USB Interface version (Mac or Win), you will still need to purchase the 31036 adapter separately if you intend to use your own controller (DX8 in my case). Considering that both RF6 and Phoenix4 come with all the necessary adapters for modern Futaba and Spektrum radios, the higher priced Aerofly 5.7 gets another ding on this.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 11-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah - it's a doozy. I think the high price is actually keeping me from pulling the trigger on any of them... any way to get them used or anything??
bilemshious is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Both the RF6 and Phoenix4 are awesome. Even when you account for the expense of an extra copy of Windows to run BootCamp on my Mac, and needing to restart my Mac on BootCamp every time I want to use RF6 or Phoenix4, I still prefer RF6 and/or Phoenix4 over Aerofly 5.7.

ReadyHeli has a 20% off sale that expires tonight on all its items, including simulators. HeliDirect has a 15% off sale on all items, and expires on 26 Nov 2012, so gives you a few days to consider.
Amain Team Pilot
Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilemshious View Post
any way to get them used or anything??
There are plenty of sales for the Phoenix sim. Follow the HeliFreak "for sale" forum. As long as it is a Phoenix 2.5 or above, you can always upgrade for free to the latest version. RealFlight6/6.5 sales are less plentiful.
Amain Team Pilot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in