Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Larger Pantera

Hi
Someone ask me if the Pantera came in a larger like 700-800 size nitro. Just wondering what was available. Thanks
boss5horse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

No, we don't sell that size heli. We do offer a stretch conversion but it's intended ONLY for scale applications and isn't rated for 3D type high-RPMs rotor speeds. We're very careful to make the distinction when folks inquire.

Anyway, yes, we offer an FBL head, an FBL-conversion (which is very inexpensive), as well as the Quattro head, which by definition is FBL. However, in general we tend to stick to our knitting, which is with the 600-class machines instead of the 700-800 size models. The point is we only stretch them for low-RPM scale use.

Basically, we view 600-class models as representing the 80/20 rule in practice. E.g. where 600-class models are 80% of the market and 700-800 are the 20% segment. Why? Principally for the simple reason that crash costs go from $40-60 plus blades for a Pantera to $150-300 plus blades when you're flying something like a 700-class Goblin or T-Rex. It's just physics.

Add to this, it's also because in our experience 600-class models are large enough to handle strong winds while smaller models really don't (of course 700-800 class models handle wind even better, but 600 class handle it well enough). Meanwhile, smaller models, e.g. 500-550 class and smaller are often grounded by the wind. Hard and fast rules? No, of course not - but nevertheless - a fair generalization. Does this mean we'll never offer a 700-800 size model? No, but don't hold your breath.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Larger pantera

Ok thanks John. Had someone ask me that after he seen mine. Thought I would throw it out there. Thanks again
Old 02-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Audacity offers a flybarless head from the factory? I was going to redneck convert my current heads when I'm ready for FBL. I'm just so happy with the flybars to care right now.

On a separate issue I'd like a easier way to mount a gyro plate above the elevator servo. I made Swiss cheese out of my new P6 frame trying to drill a hole for a spare plate. I current use a CSM cyclock which needs to be close to the swash servos.

Is there a technique to mounting things (gyro/battery plates, tanks, switchs etc) sandwiched between the main frames but you have to drill and pray from the outside of the frame?
Garland is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeech View Post
No, we don't sell that size heli. We do offer a stretch conversion but it's intended ONLY for scale applications and isn't rated for 3D type high-RPMs rotor speeds. We're very careful to make the distinction when folks inquire.
If you put a 10mm 700 class aluminum head on it (e.g. RJX, 7HVU, Frenzy .90) would 3D headspeeds then be safe or is there some other fundamental reason why high headspeeds are unsafe with a stretch?

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 02-19-2016 at 01:34 AM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct, there is no fundamental reason for not doing this. That said, we may get around to doing this ourselves (once we remove some of the irons we have in the fire) because intrinsically, the P6 is a 700-size model (physically). And FWIW, I've always felt this to be a Pantera advantage because newbie pilots (whom, due to a lack of experience, have special trouble with orientation at a distance) are especially helped by its larger size.

Consider; a P6 is considerably bigger than the average T-Rex 600 or Goblin 520. This translates into an edge - precisely - when it's most important. Think back to when you were learning to fly, would you agree getting too far away to see clearly is not exactly an uncommon situation for a beginner to find themselves in upon occasion?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745

Last edited by jbeech; 02-18-2016 at 09:20 AM..
Old 02-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have an RJX flybarless head on a Pantera.
MartyH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's a decent head. Several pilots I know use them.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 02-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyH View Post
I have an RJX flybarless head on a Pantera.
The 50 or the 90? The 90 comes in two versions one for a 12mm shaft and one for a 10mm shaft.

The 10mm version uses an M3 jesus bolt and should install on the P6 mainshaft with no problems.

The 12mm version is designed for the Trex 700 as it uses two m4x8 screws on either side of the hub (it doesn't utilize the lower unthreaded hole on the Trex 700 mainshaft) and you will run into difficulty if you need to install it on a 700 that doesn't have threaded holes in the mainshaft because the recess for the screw on each side of the hub is designed for a screw head. You would neet to put a washer on one side and use a longer jesus bolt and a nut driver to install it on a mainshaft that doesn't use a threaded bolt hole. The 12mm also comes with a larger washout base and longer swash driver arms (the plastic radius arms are the same and are in fact the same ones that RJX uses on their 450, 500 and .50 heads)
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default New p6

I have a new P6E. It's a flyLESS. After I built it I flew it once and put it on the shelf. Loss of time for it right now. I just had to throw that in there. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in