Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > BeastX FBL System

BeastX FBL System BeastX FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BeastX servo frequency table

Interesting table at Beastx support. I notice digital servo such as D410 and Spektrum 6010 are recommended to run at 65hz for cyclic, a frequency close analog servo. No servos in the table runs at 120hz.

The table is very limited. I keep my digital servos at 65hz for cyclic and 165hz for tail because I can't find any data in my search.
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

What servos are you using?
Helico-pteron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm wondering the same thing. Aren't digital servos good for 333hz? You'll notice even that for the same servo it will get a lower rating when used for cyclic vs for the tail.

By the way what kind of signal comes straight off the receiver? I have the 410's and they ask for 65hz on cyclic. They are currently running straight from a spektrum receiver and I don't know if that means they are already running at 333hz or they are at 50hz or something low?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

What servo I run is irrelevant at this point. The point is servo frequency response is not being released by manufacturers. And, the believe of digital servos run at 300hz might not be true in all cases. May this be the reason BeastX allows max 200hz for cyclic servos.

Ok, back to the servos I am using - HS5625 and DS821.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
What servo I run is irrelevant at this point. The point is servo frequency response is not being released by manufacturers. And, the believe of digital servos run at 300hz might not be true in all cases. May this be the reason BeastX allows max 200hz for cyclic servos.

Ok, back to the servos I am using - HS5625 and DS821.
I'm pretty sure these freqs are based on what works best with gyro systems and what these servos will tolerate under these conditions.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helico-pteron View Post
I'm pretty sure these freqs are based on what works best with gyro systems and what these servos will tolerate under these conditions.
Don't disagree at all. So, how do we find the proper frequency setting for servos not listed. I am not blaming Beastx, I am pointing my blame finger at servo makers. Now, if they do release the frequency in the specification and something goes wrong, they will have warranty issue, right?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I contacted MB to get more info on the matter.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Don't disagree at all. So, how do we find the proper frequency setting for servos not listed. I am not blaming Beastx, I am pointing my blame finger at servo makers. Now, if they do release the frequency in the specification and something goes wrong, they will have warranty issue, right?
Ya, I see what you mean and too many brands haven't posted this because there hasn't been a need to until the recent few years. Before all these uber electronics it wasn't really important.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I tried a set of Blue Bird 621DS-MG servos on the cyclic of my Gaui 425 initially I simply emailed the manufacturer and they supplied the info.
Of course those servos did not work out so well (one of them burned up after 10 or 12 flights) but nonetheless the manufacturer was very helpful... I would hope the mainstream brands would be as helpful.
ukgroucho is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

So, they are helpful in letting you know the frequency to use, with which the servo failed after 12 flights. Harmful or helpful.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
According to the manual use a low setting at first then increase it until you get too much heat or too much current draw.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
So, they are helpful in letting you know the frequency to use, with which the servo failed after 12 flights. Harmful or helpful.
FBL units ask a lot from these servos and unless they are sufficient enough, they will tire quickly.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Hello Helifreakers,

sorry about the "limited" list but we can only write specs in the list that we are aware of. So this list partially consist of our personal experience we made with different servo types or simply is based on the maximum manufacturer's recommendation. As you experienced yourselves this is not an easy task as manufacturers often even don't know how much maximum frequency their servos can handle (no joking: got an email a few days ago in which a manufacturer asked us why their servos are not in our list and if we could tell them the specs for their servos).

We thought it would be a good idea to create such a list as when people read the manual they surely will be confused about which frequency to choose. So we started to search data sheets about most common servos and also servos we would recommend to use or we know that people will use these in helis. But there are hundreds of servos out there and we cannot check out the spec of any chinese 5$ servo..
Also servos you may use are completely unknown here in Germany or sold under a different description (like some JR servos).

On the other hand when we recommend lets say Futaba 9451 one should expect that people come out that also the 9452 will have the same specs, or hitec 6965/6975/6985 or Futaba 9254/9253. Most servos only differ in gear ratio or other motors or simply succeed another one. All futaba digital servos with 9x5x should at least handle 200Hz, so isn't it enough if we write down only the most common!?

If you think there should be some servo in the list you use and you have reliable data about it please feel free to send us a mail. That's why we did remove the servo list from the manual. So we can better react on changes and taking in new servos.

Good example is the Align DS410. We used them in our 450, 250 all the time at 200Hz never had any issues and also anyone else with other FBL-units used them at high frequency. So we recommended 200Hz in the manual. But a few month after bringing the MB into market it was heard more and more that the 410s did burn up.. sometimes directly out of the box..sometimes because the casing was twisted by screwing them in with too much force and sometimes people simply said it must be the 200Hz frequency, servos getting hot .. Then some data sheet from savox was published which stated that all Savox micro servos only can handle 70Hz. As all Align servos are made by Savox we of course instantly did change our recommendation. I know a lot of people still flying 410s with 200Hz, so some are still better quality and work with 200Hz others do not.

In the end it is your own reliability which frequency you use. For the flybarless system the higher is better and we give you the possibility to use high frequencies but you have to observe it yourself if this is healthy for the servos or not as there are too many criteria to consider (e.g. voltage, flying style, ambient temperature, ventilation in the heli, ... ) Also keep in mind that some servos may handle high pulse frequencies but not in combination with a regulation system like tail gyros or flybarless units as these are giving too much control signals over a specific time. So there is a big difference between simply running the servo directly connected to a receiver with digital high speed output like futaba 6008HS and the servo connected to a high speed gyro system!

best regards

Stefan Hornstein
BeAStX Team
Frenchdress is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helico-pteron View Post
FBL units ask a lot from these servos and unless they are sufficient enough, they will tire quickly.
With or without e-stab? I have been flying FBL in 2,3,4 and 5 bladed head for two years without e-stab, my servos live a normal life insofar, although in scale flying and not 3D.

Back to the topic ..... servo frequency list covering more servos in the market.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I guess one could turn up the gain pot until the heli shakes and fly it a few minutes, then take an IR temp gun to see if something is unhappy...
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Frenchdress,
Good reply, and thanks for explaining.

If you have hard time in getting frequency from servo manufacturers (an approved servo by BeastX will only increase servo sales), let alone the regular users. I mentioned this before that the blame if any is not directed to BeastX, rather the servo manufacturers as for years have been claiming something that they might not be able to deliver. FBL system will amplify this quite openly. Another servo in question is the Spektrum 6010.

Surely, it would seem Futaba servos deliver what is advertised. As more and more are willing to go FBL system, name brand servo will have to include frequency response in product specs. For consumer to check servo reliability at their own risk will be limited to cheaply made servos whether from China or elsewhere is unimportant and besides the point.

May be a "not recommended servo list" will be more efficient and effective in getting their cooperation in releasing accurate specs.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchdress View Post
... Then some data sheet from savox was published which stated that all Savox micro servos only can handle 70Hz. As all Align servos are made by Savox we of course instantly did change our recommendation….
Thanks Stefan, that some very interesting and welcome info. Savox don't publish this info on their site as far as I can tell. Is it the same for all of their common heli servos (410, 420, 510, 520 ,610, 620 & 650)?
bobloblaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
The German Savox distributor has the specs on his site.

http://savox.de/produkte

I can remember there where some data sheets on savoxtech.com.tw but they changed the site and now there is only this fancy flash application..
Frenchdress is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

From Savox German website, most digital servos are rated at 70hz unless for dedicated tail servos. For my money, I will set any unsure swashplate servos to 65hz.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have my MKS ds95's on my 450 pro set to 200hz on cyclic, the manufacturer says they are 333hz, so should be fine I guess at 200...
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in