Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX7 vs DX8

I am hearing a lot of local people trying to sway me away from the DX8. Really for no reason other than they say I will never need 8 ch's. I am only planning to fly electric 450 size and smaller, and maybe a plane or two in the long foreseeable future.

Is there a compelling argument as to why I would need a DX7 or the DX8? What are the differences? I have been leaning toward the 8 simply because out of all the posts I read this seems to be the "most" radio that anyone here ever needs. But I am new to all of this and I'm sure very ignorant to the subject.
victorb17 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorb17 View Post
I am hearing a lot of local people trying to sway me away from the DX8. Really for no reason other than they say I will never need 8 ch's. I am only planning to fly electric 450 size and smaller, and maybe a plane or two in the long foreseeable future.

Is there a compelling argument as to why I would need a DX7 or the DX8? What are the differences? I have been leaning toward the 8 simply because out of all the posts I read this seems to be the "most" radio that anyone here ever needs. But I am new to all of this and I'm sure very ignorant to the subject.
get that 8. it really doesn't cost much more.

if I remember correctly, the additional features of the 8 vs 7:
  • 3 position switches on all
  • backlit screen
  • stock with lipo batterey - you may want to double check this one
  • extra channel

the best feature I like is all the three position switches.
  • additional telemitry features - may want to check this one too
texasclouds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The biggest one is 3 flight modes, so you have Normal, Idle 1 and Idle 2. Allows for 3 different throttle and pitch curves that you can configure and switch during flight.
The rate switches all have 3 positions instead of 2.
There's one more 3 position switch on the right of the radio.
2 more 'trim' up/down buttons.

There is an availble LiPo, but it's not stock.

The telemetry features appear to be the same from the quick look I had at the manual.

You can't buy the DX7 without an Rx yet, so the difference is only $50 between the 7 with Rx and the 8 without.

All the switches are configurable, so just that extra flexability is worth the $50. 3 position rate, gyro, gov and flight mode is the seller for me, and you get the extra channel for free!

Hope that helps.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
JoeW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

another thought...you may never need 8 channels, but you definitely will appreciate the additional programming options the DX8 has.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are not paying for the extra channels... you are paying for the ball bearing gimbals, the backlit screen, the programming features, the vibration time etc. Im not sure what the DX7s is lacking, but the DX8 is an amazing radio for $290
Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm pretty sure the dx7 has 3 flight modes. All other switches are 2 pos.

I've owned both. I think the dx8 flexibility and programmable feature far surpass the dx7. The gimbals are also very nice. The dx7 is at an odd price point. I wouldn't consider it unless you got a good deal on a used one. If I were buying new, I'd be comparing the dx6i and the dx8. If you don't need all the bells and whistles, just get the 6. It does get the job done.

Another thing to note. IMHO, the dx8 is the best bang for the buck radio on the market. There are other more expensive radios out there that don't have the features of the dx8.

The dx7 and dx8 also felt very differently to me in my hands. I never really like the feel of the dx7. The dx6 and dx8 feel a lot closer.
pakk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nope. The DX7s only has a 2 position flight switch. They took out JUST enough to make people want the DX8. Kindof cheap if you ask me.

The old discontinued DX7 had 3.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I agree with pakk... if you're going to save money, go for a 6i. The only thing the new 7s really adds over the 6i is the extra channel and telemetry.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
The only thing the new 7s really adds over the 6i is the extra channel and telemetry.
And ball bearing gimbals. Thats a huge deal... much bigger than a 2 position idle up switch.

But... does the 'new' DX6i have bearings I am not sure. Probably not. If it doesn't ... stay away. They get sticky and are never really smooth.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Nope. The DX7s only has a 2 position flight switch. They took out JUST enough to make people want the DX8. Kindof cheap if you ask me.

Wow thats horrible. I guess i had the older 7. With that being said, dont buy the newer 7 at all.
pakk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're right, the product page on the 6i doesn't mention the bearings like the 7 and 8 do... so I guess if it's not highlighted as a feature... it's probably not there.

But still, for $150 for the 6i Tx only, that's half the price of the 7s with the Rx...

Oh, and I guess the other thing the 7 offers is the SD slot for firmware and model backup... that's huge in my books.
DX8 + Telemetery on all
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The DX8 is only $289 at bigskyhobby.. but yes.. no reciever. Many buy them there.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've been helping a friend get started with helicopters and he bought the new DX7s (I recommended the 8). I'm pretty sure the 7s uses the same frame/case as the 8. It felt identical to my DX8 while flying with it. I haven't really looked into the details of the 7s but realized how much nicer it is to have a backlit screen (which the 7s lacks). Without the backlight the 7s is still much clearer than the DX6i.

My DX 8 with the Turnigy lipo pack has worked flawlessly for me from day 1. I do highly recommend getting the lipo pack, as the backlit screen and vibrating alarm suck the juice down from the included NiMh batteries pretty fast. IMO Spektrum's advertised run time of the DX8 on the NiMh batteries is exaggerated. I found myself plugging in to recharge after only a couple flights sessions. With the lipo, I'm only charging every other week.

GAUI X3 6S, Xnova 1860, HW 50A V3, MKS DS95, 8910A+, BeastX, Belted Tail.
isogloss3d is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

The stock pack really does provide quite a bit of runtime.Id say around 10 hours with moderate backlight use.They are easily degraded by leaving tem on the charger too long and getting them hot.The LiPo is a good option.Its a plug in and forget it until the led goes dark.
HELIFREAK !!!
aerocal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I see a lot of info on this site about the DX7. Such as setup, programming, videos, etc. Is it the same as the DX8. I hardly see any setup info for the 8 unless I am just looking right over it.
victorb17 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My dx6 broke got a dx8 while getting the 6 fixed glad I did. I just got through flying the 6 and the 8 the 8 was a lot smoother. On the 8 I realy like the timer which I have set to activate when throttle is above 25%. Also the backlight scren which the 6 or 7 doesn't have . I can't hear so the vibrating warnings are nice.
Ken125 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post

The old DX7 was available in a heli version with 3 pos gear switch or and acro version that had a 3 pos on the flap switch.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Does the DX8 have rubber gripping?

The plastic under bottom on my DX6 drives me nuts.

clank72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 05:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rubber grips indeed.

My thoughts on dx7 vs dx8 was that getting the 7 would always leave me wondering how much better the 8 would be.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzo View Post
Rubber grips indeed.

My thoughts on dx7 vs dx8 was that getting the 7 would always leave me wondering how much better the 8 would be.
Very good point.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I was in the garage and had to hold my DX6 under the LIGHT just to see the screen. That backlit screen is a winner for me. And rubber grips and better flying sticks??

SOLD...

clank72 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in