Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System

Thunder Tiger GT5 FBL System Thunder Tiger GT5 Flybarless Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No feel around center on cyclic

Just took my trex 600 out to try it whith the gt5 that i just installed.
It had no feel around center. It took of, and when i needed to correct movements, nothing happened with small inputs. I had to give more, and the heli sort of snapped out of the hover... I have 100% travel in the gt5 on all inputs. Total gain of 60% and 100% ( tried both). 20% expo in gt5 and no expo in the transmitter. Cyclic deadband is set to 0.
Gave it a couple of tries, but gave up.

Any ideas? Dont feel like putting it in the dirt trying the wrong things!
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

What are DR's set to? Are pitch curves still set zero-100 linear in every flight mode?
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwright View Post
D-sense usually ends up almost maxed out if I remember correctly, and yes it will help what your seeing. I haven't had to touch settings in quite some time, and at my age you tend to forget things you don't touch for months Also make sure the gain channel in the transmitter is set to 100. If it isn't, or the unit is reading the wrong channel (make sure you're plugged in correctly), then it will feel as if there isn't any gain, because there really isn't. Make sure you have enough cyclic pitch range setup or the gains will be maxed without having enough affect. Again, if I remember correctly I end up in the 8+ range . I do know on my E720's, due to the bizarre low rpms I like to run I have over 12 plus and minus on each cyclic and over 15 each way on collective. Still have P almost maxed. I has to be a good bit lower than optimal due to the 1180 rpm flight mode. Still get a little tail bobbing in sideways flight there, but if I drop it any lower and eliminate that it doesn't hold lines as well in the 1800 mode, so my setup is sort of a compromise in order to fly the large rpm ranges. When I walk the machine out I ALWAYS tilt it fore/aft and right/left, and swing the tail and watch tail blades,. just to make darn sure everything is correcting the right way. This came after playing with some things one day and accidentally changing the setting to orient the unit flat versus on its side. Fore/aft became tail correction,..etc, so you can imagine what happened when I spooled up When I "wiggle" the heli on walkout to check corrections my swash will almost hit the stops with the gains I run.
Sounds like it might be somehow related to the gain, please share some of your config.
Polartip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2014, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Might also want to try keep the expo zero in the gt5 and use the tx expo.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! I will have a look at it tonight and get back with some of the configuration. I do not have 100 gain in the radio, so that might be one reason....
Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polartip View Post
Might also want to try keep the expo zero in the gt5 and use the tx expo.
I have three rates;
70% -20%expo,
85% -15%expo
100% no expo.
I tried all of them.
It feels like it works well on the bench, small inputs on cyclic stick gives small input on swash...
Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I whent through the setup on the gt5 and found this:
On cyclic:
P: 70
I: 70
D-sense: 30
Feed: 85
I-lim: 18
Hover: 4
Agility are set to 80 on both elev and ail.

Anything looking wierd?
I have removed the expo in the gyro and i now only have expo in the tx.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

for interest sake... what is your servo travel and servo limit settings at... if these are to low (especially the limits) it would also be desensitized...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

D-sense. First increase it drastically. If worse, then go the other way. If it's too high it will feel spongy like it's wallowing around all the time. Logically it would need to be higher for what you're explaining, but i've setup a couple that needed to go drastically lower. When i say drastic, I mean a lot, don't expect a little 5 or 10 point change to make much difference, may not even be noticable. My general rule of thumb is to go halfway from the setpoint to the maximum in whichever direction I want to go. then either halfway from there to max if i need more, or haflway from there to where I was originally if I need less. That adjustment isn't going to make you crash, it will just make the heli feel really really bad if it's off. I've actually adjusted it the full spectrum in a single flight when chasing a problem with setup.
gwright is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I might have gotten the gain channel reversed! How is the display supposed to look? What affects would I get if it is reversed?
I have a Hitec radio with dsm2 module and dsm2 satellites. So the channels are not automatically correct like if I would have used a spektrum radio.....
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sv: No feel around center on cyclic

This is what it looks like!
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming that by DSM2 module you mean a spektrum receiver. When using a receiver, you should run throttle from your ecs to the receiver and not the GT5, it seems that you have something plugged to throttle, tho the image is not to clear. I use two satellites (1 dsm2 and 1 dsmx) plugged directly to the gt5 unit, seems to work well and alto I'm not sure on the gyro channel, the 450 its mounted on flies great, still needs some fine tuning. Your P & I settings seems normal from what I can tell.

A certain problem solver (at least if this is settings and not hardware config related) http://manuals.hobbico.com/ttr/ttre0027-0028-manual.pdf .

I programmed defaults listed for the mini tytan. Then fixed all servo directions and swash plate corrections and apart from collective pitch going into 17 degrees, trex 450 flew fine. Then tweaked my swash and tail P & I menu as described by Gary Wright here http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/tt...ary-wright.pdf

Very neat install!!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I saw now that this picture is a couple of days old... I have a module in the hitec radio for dsm2, and only 2 sattelites. No problem there, i also checked and the gain numeber on the unit is white numbers on black background. Correct?!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polartip View Post
Assuming that by DSM2 module you mean a spektrum receiver. When using a receiver, you should run throttle from your ecs to the receiver and not the GT5, it seems that you have something plugged to throttle, tho the image is not to clear. I use two satellites (1 dsm2 and 1 dsmx) plugged directly to the gt5 unit, seems to work well and alto I'm not sure on the gyro channel, the 450 its mounted on flies great, still needs some fine tuning. Your P & I settings seems normal from what I can tell.

A certain problem solver (at least if this is settings and not hardware config related) http://manuals.hobbico.com/ttr/ttre0027-0028-manual.pdf .

I programmed defaults listed for the mini tytan. Then fixed all servo directions and swash plate corrections and apart from collective pitch going into 17 degrees, trex 450 flew fine. Then tweaked my swash and tail P & I menu as described by Gary Wright here http://downloads.hobbico.com/misc/tt...ary-wright.pdf

Very neat install!!
That same manual helped me to get my 450 going again as well. I had tinkered with something and got it to where it just would not fly at high headspeeds without crazy cyclic wobble. I used the stock Mini Titan settings and set all the other stuff back to default settings everything and like you say tweaked the main and tail just a little not much and its been working awesome. That was with analogs, I'm fixing to try the KST 115 digitals now, I just about have it setup.

I bought my 5.1 gyro used and never even knew what the default settings were as the manual strangely does not mention them. BeastX list its default settings.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by doujoh View Post

This is what it looks like!
Jip, seems that your gyro is in negative settings, its been described as some kind of rate mode. I would try assigning your gyro in your radio to a different channel. Perhaps Aux 2 or channel 7.

Let us know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in