Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters

450 Class Electric Helicopters 450 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Ordering my T-Rex 450SE, Question about cells

Is a 3 cell pack the limit for the stock motor and ESC? Also I have read that most guys run a 2100mah lipo pack, about how much run time can I expect from a pack that size?
Raydee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is the limit for that esc and motor. Thunder power has a fairly new 2200 mh pack that is real popular. As to how long it will fly? That depends on your flying style. If you are just learning to hover you will probably get at least 8 min+. If you are doing flat out 3-d cut that time to five min. The general rule is that you do not want to take out more than 80% of the battery's capacity. i.e. with a 2200 mah battery you do not want to put back more than 1760 mah when recharging. It also depends on which pinion you are using as well. With the align motor the two most popular selections are the 11 tooth and the 13 tooth. With the 11 tooth you will loose some headspeed but gain some flight time.
ckoelliker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

And for starting out, the DN Power packs are reasonably cheap and work well. Others have had good luck with the Hextroni packs form United Hobbies, and they are real inexpensive.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't go too cheap on the packs. They are one of your most important investments. A lot of people, myself included, have been suckered into buying "cheap" packs now and then and regret it later on. Why buy crap that will not perform as well or last as long just to end up replacing them later? You'll actually end up spending more money.

Just buy good packs to begin with from a reputable brand like Thunder Power or Evo etc and enjoy. You get what you pay for, ESPECIALLY when it comes to your batteries.
j
StrangeRanger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im running TP and DN 2100's and 2150's packs , both are real good and deliver around 7 minutes of flight time sport flying , 3S 2100 packs seem to provide good power to wieght , going 4S ups the weight , I like to try and keep weight down
steve28 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My take on teh "cheap" but not too cheap packs is why burn cycles on something like a TP Extreme when you are just starting out.

By running DN or Hextronic at first, your cost per flight is very low, even if they don't do as many cycles, and if you crash hard, you don't whack a $70+ pack, but a <$40 pack.

If you are flying harder, then by all means get the better packs.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

There's arguments for buying either type of pack, "quality" or "cheap". It's really a mater of preference. You say tomato, I say tomatoE.

I'm simply speaking from personal experience. Where I kicked myself for buying 2 Apex packs instead of 1 good TP pack (no need for the extremes). And after having both Apex packs turn into puffy marsh mellows, and I'm far from a hard or 3D flier, I'm out the cost of 2 "cheap" packs PLUS the cost of replacing them w/ a good TP pack. Not much of a bargain if you ask me.

Plus, even when a new pilot is just starting out, they're hardly "burning cycles". A quality pack, taken care of, will last you 100's and 100's of cycles. You've spent $100's-$1,000's on your heli and radio gear, why not get the most out of it. Does another $30 for a quality pack really effect the over all budget that much?
j
Old 12-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I too agree that running good Lipo packs from the start is the smart way to go. I am no beginner to Heli's and I have a feeling the T-rex on 3S just may not be enough for me. I may get a better motor and ESC and run 4s right from the start.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydee
I too agree that running good Lipo packs from the start is the smart way to go. I am no beginner to Heli's and I have a feeling the T-rex on 3S just may not be enough for me. I may get a better motor and ESC and run 4s right from the start.
Are you better than Danny or Alan Jr or Jason K? Have you seen what those boys can do w/ a T-Rex and a lowly 3S pack?
j

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in