Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550 size - absolute heli

What is the absolute 550 hell? Which frame, servos, motor, BEC, blades?

Which setup would be best to fly and rational in use?
DX9
Boris the Blade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

there is no right answer. each pilot will like something different. what fits you may not fit me and the other way around.
ReadyToCrash is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: 550 size - absolute heli

I know. But there are still median things in this world. Like if only one 550 heli will be left in the Noah's Ark.
DX9
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my opinion, the newest Align 550 DFC airframe (one with the 730MX) + V-Bar Silverline (nothing wrong with BeastX or any other FBL though), YGE or Yep 100A ESC (YEP is a YGE clone, same thing only older firmware and A LOT cheaper) Edge 553mm mains, Edge 95mm tail blades, KBDD dampers and that's it. Reason why I say Align is not because I'm an Align fanboy, I'm just being realistic. Align is really a lot more than you can and most likely will ever be able to handle (like pretty much all of us here). Also, the best you can get for the money you invest. They're solid beater helis, parts everywhere. 3GX is crap, so get a FBL of your pref. V-Bar is I heard great, hince listing it, I use BeastX but I want to try V-Bar out. Talon I don't really like. Haven't tried it so it's not really fair of me to say that I don't like it though. Look at all the reports of it catching fire.. I use a YEP100A ESC which is a YGE clone with the older firmware as I said above. Looks great, good gov too! Edge 550mm main and 95mm tail because they're only a few bucks more than Align and much better. I'd recommend 555mm Cyclone blades once they come out. They're the best blades IMO. You can use the blades you get in the kit in case of a crash to get the heli up and running quicker. :
Jurica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurica View Post
In my opinion, the newest Align 550 DFC airframe (one with the 730MX) + V-Bar Silverline (nothing wrong with BeastX or any other FBL though), YGE or Yep 100A ESC (YEP is a YGE clone, same thing only older firmware and A LOT cheaper) Edge 553mm mains, Edge 95mm tail blades, KBDD dampers and that's it. Reason why I say Align is not because I'm an Align fanboy, I'm just being realistic. Align is really a lot more than you can and most likely will ever be able to handle (like pretty much all of us here). Also, the best you can get for the money you invest. They're solid beater helis, parts everywhere. 3GX is crap, so get a FBL of your pref. V-Bar is I heard great, hince listing it, I use BeastX but I want to try V-Bar out. Talon I don't really like. Haven't tried it so it's not really fair of me to say that I don't like it though. Look at all the reports of it catching fire.. I use a YEP100A ESC which is a YGE clone with the older firmware as I said above. Looks great, good gov too! Edge 550mm main and 95mm tail because they're only a few bucks more than Align and much better. I'd recommend 555mm Cyclone blades once they come out. They're the best blades IMO. You can use the blades you get in the kit in case of a crash to get the heli up and running quicker. :
Great start for the hot discussion lol)))

You did not mention servos, did you mean stock DS615/655 ones?
DX9
Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

555mm blades? I need to have that. Where did you see it please?
i have mbx and vbar and i can't say vbar is better. i really can't. actually I prefer mbx. Last week I had a setup issue as I simply tried to change the pitch range on vbar. I ended up having to re-do the entire set up. Now my heli is not flying the same anymore. That would never happen to mbx and the flight quality is the same (or even better) than vbar's.
I have no issues with cc products.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love my Align 550, but it has its place. If someone came to me and gave me an open checkbook and said pick/choose your ultimate 550, Align would be at the bottom of the list. So would YEP ESC's.

It would probably be a close tie between the Gaui X5 and the Logo 550sx.

The Logo would probably end up in my garage. I've flown a Logo 500 once and was super impressed - they fly almost effortlessly, so smooth and responsive. I'd stretch it with a 600sx boom to run 603mm blades. Electronics would be a Kontronik 120A+ ESC, KDE motor, Futaba BLS HV servos, CGY750, etc.

That would be a $2000+ dollar 550 and would outperform almost anything.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

It usually does get a discussion started I think the DS610 servos are a bit better. My friend has them on his 700 DFC, they get more good reviews than DS615 too.. The 555mm Cyclones are gonna go out this month if I remember correctly. Do you have V-Bar Silverline? My friend switched from mBx to SL V-Bar, he loves it a ton more than mBx. Don't get me wrong. GAUI, Mikado helis are all great, I just don't justify buying them. I, you and a lot of people here, I'd say over 95% (pulled out a random number) can't even use an Align to it's full potencial, let alone a Mikado. I used to bash Align before but I was enlightened so to speak. I think the Align bashing is a justification for people to buy the exotic things IMO only. I don't mean to offend anyone. They do fly better, they're just not worth that much money as Align helis fly really nice too. With todays FBL controlers, you can make an Align feel like a Mikado if you want..
Jurica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm torn between Gaui X5 and Goblin 500... better disc loading for the X5? (same weight but can swing larger blades). As to looks the G500 is a winner though...
Radio: Spektrum DX8 Gen 1
SHYguy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurica View Post
With todays FBL controlers, you can make an Align feel like a Mikado if you want..
No not really. FBL units can only do so much. Logo's are very light, have excellent disk loading, and are very efficient machines. The airframe alone is worth the extra coin IMO.

Doesn't matter what people can and can't get out of the bird. The topic is the ultimate 550. Not the ultimate 550 for your skill level. With that logic we might as well all be flying Walkera 120's
OXY rep
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

^ what she said!

Logo weight vs X5?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHYguy View Post
^ what she said!

Logo weight vs X5?
I didn't know I had a sex change but allllllright.

Both around 2000grams

Remember, though, the Logo is a true 550 whereas the X5 is more like an in-between of a 500 and a 550. It swings 500mm-530mm blades. The Logo can swing 570mm blades with a good ESC.
OXY rep
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went with the Blade 550X because it ran 550mm blades and included a swash driver (I am NOT a DFC fan at all!). The Goblin 500 is a fantastic heli, but really, 515mm blades are the (safe) limit for it.

Gaui X5 looks nice too.
tomatwalden is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Synergy E5.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I've only flown my Align 550 but I've got friends who swear by the Logo 550.

They arn't fanboy biased at all either. In fact the guy that can lay down the 3D smack just went for a Trex 700e over the Logo 700e because of crash costs. His buddy (who isn't as good and more of a sport pilot) went with the Logo 700e.....but they both think that Logo 550 is awesome.

If money were no object I'd go for the Logo no doubt. With money being what it is I'm sticking with my Align work horse.
Lottomunch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a logo and i dont like it that much. As i said it is all about personal preference.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

That Logo frame and construction look great. But besides that it looks extremely boring

I think I've settled on the Gobbla I'm a simple man
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Logo is a little fragile and you can't run a very high head speed.
besides, only ready Heli sells parts and they are usually sold out on many items.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 550 size - absolute heli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Synergy E5.
In E5 configuration is a nice heli but fly heavy. In E6 is way better.

Sent from my iPhone IOS 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Synergy E5 is my favourite, heavy yes , fly in 60 km winds no problem. Solid best heli I have owned to date. $50 and it's a 600. I fly 630kv and 12s 2650's , it flys so much better then my trex's. 553 Rail blades.
flyswatter40 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in