Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > Heli-Max Helicopters

Heli-Max Helicopters Heli-Max Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Novus 200 FP / Stripped tail gears

Anyone ever encounter your tail gears stripping with just normal flight? And I mean no tail strikes,no hard landings , nothing but on the 8th flight of a brand new heli. It started to keep nosing right i think it was (RorL), and i went like one click the other way with the sub trim.It flew fine for less than a minute and started to spin , I set it down and then started to spool it up again and it then just spun in circles on the ground. when I looked at the tail gears the shaft gear pulled ever so slightly away from the tail gear. I was able to slide the shaft back and seat the gears again, and it worked briefly only to slip again,and spin the heli. Any thoughts to what could of happened. New heli, 8th flight,no tail strikes,just normal nice easy flights. Very puzzeled
GORDYMONSTER is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have flown a dozen packs w/ 3 crashes and no tail problems at all, she just keeps on flying report back when you figure it out . Looking at the exploded view looks like you may have a bad bearing or bent shaft.
Flyonthewall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Me Too

This happened to me too on the first day I got it. Had it in the air low to the ground then put it down, very minor crash and the tail rotor was not invlolved. Now I'm trying to find the part online, from the exploded view is looks like we need part #HMXE8464 however looking at picture the actual part I need is on the tail drive shaft part #HMXE8465. It's the tiny plastic gear that fits onto the drive shaft. Can anyone confirm which part I need as shopping for it is mis-leading becuase of the pictures?
webdiesel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default TAIL GEARS

HI, YOU WILL BE LIKE MYSELF AND NEED BOTH PARTS, TOWER HOBIES IS THE MAIN DISTRIBUTOR AND GUESS WHAT THE TAIL BEVEL GEAR IS NOT AVAILABLE YET!! I'VE BEEN GROUNDED WITH MINE OVER 2 WEEKS. WAITING AND WAITING AND WAITING......I'VE ACTUALLY HAD EXTENSIVE E-MAILS WITH THE REPAIR CREW AT HOBBICO W/ NO RESOLVE, I GUESS I CAN'T BLAME THEM FOR PROTECTING HELIMAX IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE TAIL GEAR. YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO START A PANIC ABOUT IT, AND NOT SELL THIER HELI. HOPEFULLY WE'LL GET OUR PARTS WHEN THEY COME OUT AND NO MORE PROBLEMS. I REALY HAD FUN FLYING THIS LITTLE THING SINCE THE WIND NEVER STOPS BLOWING HERE YET,SO I CAN FLY MY OTHER BIRDS. THE PART WAS SUPOSE TO COME OUT THE END OF APRIL AND NOW ITS FIRST PART OF MAY... MAKES ME MADER THAN A ONE LEGGED PIGME IN A GUNNY-SACK RACE
Old 05-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nine Eagles makes this heli for Helimax you might be able to find a part that will work from one of their heli's I think it's the Solo Pro 228. I'll bet they are the same and the parts will work
Flyonthewall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thanks

Thanks I went ahead and ordered one to test if it will fit. Thanks for the info, which the vendor wasn't over seas it's going to take a week to get the part.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default PARTS

THANKS (FLYONTHEWALL) THEY ARE THE SAME BIRD AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. HEY (WEBDIESEL) WHERE DID YOU GET THE PARTS , I HOPE NOT HELIPAL .COM BECOUSE THIER OUT OF ASIA, SOMEONE ELSE ORDERED FROM THEM AND I THINK IT WAS WELL OVER A WEEK AND THEY DIDNT HAVE THIER PARTS! I WONDER IF THEY HAVE THEM NOW? WHERED YOU GET YOURS ?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Parts

Yeah unfortunately helipal all stores on the internet that carry that part are in Asia. I did receive my other part that everyone has in stock which is the HMXE8465 Tail drive shaft and it's exactly what I needed as this comes with the small white cone with the gears, that attaches to the other white bevel gear which is the part everyone is out of. The gears on my cone were stripped. So when I got home tonight I put in the new drive shaft and attached it to rotor. Hovered it for about 3 mintues gave it a couple of spins and then she started spinning and you could here the gears on the rotor make a nasty sound. Looking closer the gears arn't hitting each other tight. Which is what I think is stripping the bevel. I took everything a part and put it back together again and the same things happens. At this point I'm getting really frustrated, the gears just will not stay snug enough against each other. Not sure what do to next.

Anyone have any ideas, I attached some photos of the new part I got and then once it is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	313
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	313619   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	313620  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gears

Me again, so after hours of troubleshooting I believe the issue is the tail motor slightly moves backwards which makes the gears have a loose grip. I have the heat sink as tight as I can make it but nothing else prevents the motor from slightly sliding backwards. Has anyone come across this issue, seems like a design flaw?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default GEARS

WEBDIESEL , THATS EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE NEW GEARS TO SEE WHERE THE PLAY IS, CAUSING THEM TO STRIP !!FROM WHAT WE HAVE EXSPIRIENCED I'M LEANING TWARD DESIGN FLAW, EXSPECIALY ME WITH NORMAL FLIGHT.I WISH I COULD SHOW YOU THE E-MAILS TO HOBICO TECH DEPARTMENT,THEY KEPT TRYING TO TELL ME I HIT THE TAIL BLADES TO CAUSE IT TO STRIP THE GEARS. I FRANKLY COULD CARE LESS IF I CRASHED I WOULD JUST BUY MY PARTS AND KEEP FLYING ,IT'S ALL PART OF THE HOBBY!! BUT I KINDLY ASKED THEM IF THEY NEW OF IT HAPPENING AND IF THERES A FIX. I THINK I'M GOING TO ORDER THE GEARS FROM HELIPAL ANYWAY BECOUSE THESE ARE THE SAME HELI , HANDS DOWN EXACT ! AND WHEN THE NEW BACKORDER ONES COME IN I'M GOING TO BE DOING SOME COMPAIRING WITH THE MICROMITER. LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE I JUST WANT TO FLY THIS THING !
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Gears

I didn't crash it at all after I replaced the parts as I couldn't even fly becuase of the issue. My next attempt to fix this is going to add a litte glue behind the tail motor so the motor as no play what so ever, I should not have to do this though. This is my first heli-max and probably my last. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stripped Tail Gears

The solo pro parts are a direct replacement. I too am having this difficulty with this heli.I only have about 15 flights and have gone through 1 set of tail gears,1main gear and 1 main tail gear.I made a shim to keep the motor from moving and all was well.Now the bearing on the end of the torque tube is shot.I have already put half the cost of the heli into parts. I would not recommend this heli to my enemy. To start out of the box every screw that was in plastic was stripped. The fly bar hits the canopy and shreds it. I have good tools and have yet to have a flight that the trim did not change from 00 to -30.....any direction and all trims.Constantly re-adjusting to keep it in the air.The absolute worst heli I have owned.I have a v911 that flys better and is more enjoyable cause I'm not working on it for an hour to fly ten minutes. I was very exited to get this heli only to find that it is an absolute money pit.Going to box it up and ship it back before it costs me any more money.Any one wants it make me an offer in the US. Also Have 3 batts for this pile extra main rotors primary drive,tail set,spare canopy that is split down the middle. Just tired of it and would rather get rid of it before I just trash it.
Soboog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No I nvr had that problem before. Mine is actually the best flying bird I own. Was wondering if your tailboom is pushed far enough forward. I pushed the boom supports as tight as I could get them and secured them.
varmit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sorry to hear about your problems. I haven't had any issues yet except the flybar hitting the canopy. My 200 FP is the best flying fixed pitch I own. Way better than the 120SR. No shakes, no TBE,and easy to see outside. You know, I don't know if this will help but here's something for you to ponder: I had a heck of a time with my 300x until I moved the motor about one half mm forward. since then, no broken main shafts and no servo link rubbing, Maybe your motor position is causing stress on the gears somehow. I don't know, just a thought.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ended up having the issue with the tail motor developing some play where it would move just a couple millimeters forward to where the tail rotor gears were not meshing properly. This is why people are stripping gears. The motor rides forward and then the gears aren't meshing well enough. Very simple fix like somebody else suggested - I stuck a tiny piece of thick paper (tore a little piece off part of the Heli Max packaging that my boom support or something came in) and stuffed it ahead of the motor to eliminate the play. Thankfully I managed to do it before ruining any gears too. DEFINITE design flaw, easy fix though.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Still thinking of taking bids?

Smooth Chopperator, are you serious about taking bids on your Novus 200? If you are, I will send you a PM rather than you just trashing it. Please detail whats left good on it and/or take a pix.
I know how frustrating these birds can be, but if I had extra parts it might help to keep one in the air.
Thanks,
Happycamper
Happycamper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have one of these and it has been in the air for about 10 min total. I have had more trouble with this thing and I can't wait to get rid of it. The tail stripped for the third time and I'm over it. I will sell it cheap with some extra parts.
Battlekat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
Smooth Chopperator, are you serious about taking bids on your Novus 200? If you are, I will send you a PM rather than you just trashing it. Please detail whats left good on it and/or take a pix.
I know how frustrating these birds can be, but if I had extra parts it might help to keep one in the air.
Thanks,
Happycamper
What? I think you confused me with somebody else in this thread.

Although... I have coincidentally been thinking of selling the Novus lately. I just made the jump to CP and not sure I will keep the Novus hanging around or not. Might end up on ebay at some point but I just don't know yet. Nice thing about it is it's soooo easy to fly I can even fly it around after I've had a few beers. Whereas with my 130X I need to be stone cold sober and on top of my game to fly that thing.

Anybody having issues with the stripped gears really should follow my advice, it's free, it's easy, takes a screwdriver and all of about 5 minutes and you won't strip anymore gears.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Oops

Smooth Chopperator, you are correct, my comments/questions were supposed to be directed to Soboog. Sorry for the mistake.
Happycamper
Happycamper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Glad I read this post. I almost bought the Novus 200 FP last week but decided to hop on the forum and do a bit of reading first. This little 200 actually looks pretty good until you start hearing the problems. So what else is out there in the 200 class in a fixed pitch? I am looking at the Walkera V200D01 but nobody seems to have it in stock and if the distributers can't get the heli, how are they going to get parts when I need them? Do you have to move up to a collective to get any real quality? Some of you guys have fleets - what do like best?
blister is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in