Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default out of the box issues and frustration

Hello guys, first can I say I love Walkera gear and if my frustration comes across its not due to hating, I simply wish to enjoy what others obviously are.

I received my brushless GCP today, I ordered from WOW even though I'm in Engkand ( better price and specification and no suppliers here when I ordered ), so I have no intention of waiting for an email response and then waiting over a week for parts. I hope to identify the problem with some help and then buy replacements here so I can be in the air before christmas.

first impression as I sip my tea and roll a cigarette is how far forward the Cof G is, to balance the CP the ( stock ) battery is half out of its holder and rubbing on the main gear.

So my first question is, should the battery be pushed fully into its cage and use radio trim ( it is hugely nose heavy ) ? or do WOW fit the brushless ESC in the wrong place and that's affecting it.

I now check its in 3 axis mode , it is. All adjusting pots in the middle so I'll go with that.

lets fix the ID. I assume its the 6 digit number under the canopy that resembles the ID number on all my RX2801's.
I tried that but no luck so I left it on RANDOM to come back to later.

before I bind up I read the manual ( both Walkera and WOW's ) to set my curves and throws as I didnt want to strain the weak servos I've been reading about.
First bind just gives me flashing red LED, this doesnt worry me and i simply try again. this time I get a green light and the servos go to full right and full forward with no cyclic response.

I unplug the battery and turn off to repeat the auto bind. This time I get green LED and level swashplate. All servos respond correctly as do the gyros so lets take her up.
before I lift off the heli goes full negative pitch and the swash tilts as before. The throttle also pulses up and down. It now sits shaking its servos randomly, occasionally with flashing red LED.

I'm using the 2801 TX, WOW brushless conversion and stock 200 mah lipo.

Some help identifying whats going on would be appreciated as I wanna get in the air.
alphonso is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jeez. I just tried again and after binding ( green LED and no cyclic response ) the tail went full speed and the tail rotor snapped in half. I have not flown the heli let alone clipped any obstructions.
I know you all love this heli, so I must simply have a dud.
Should I just go and buy a new RX. Or can one faulty servo cause this much trouble.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have a Genius but sounds like you got a lemon. I'd call Wow and send it back.
kc282 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Alphonso

Sorry to hear about your isues with the Genius.

Have you checked that the switches on the RX are in the flight mode...

Switch 1 is to "on" and switch 2 is to "2" for 3 axis.

Other than that, you may have got into a bind issue...watch Bob's videos on binding for some clues.

Then again, you may have a dud out of the box, but they are supposed to be tested before delivery ???

I agree with you about CofG with BL. With the Hyperion batteries CofG is way too far forward and the stock batteries are virtually useless with BL. I hate correcting CofG with trim, I was always brought up that this was a no-no !! So I am waiting for delivery of some square C/F tube to see what additional boom length I need to get the CofG right.

Maybe some people who have flown BL with this "problem" can comment as I am not sure what the C of G answer is.
amphip is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You cannot make the fixed Id work on the 2801 it only works on the devo, sounds to me like you should get Wow to put it right.

Regards David
DocD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for the answers. i just tried it again , niow all aspects seem to work except the elevator servo which is buzzing. I've had this on other models where it affects the whole system. returning the heli isn't really possible as I'm in England, so I'll get a few servos from Buzzflyer in UK as that will only be 1 day in the post.

I'm concerned that you say the stock batteries are useless for the BL version Particularly as I ordered 2 more from WOW with my original order. . . . from WOW who supply the BL version. As I would gladly have bought a shed load of Hyperions or Linear cells if I knew about them at the time,

Thanks, Allan
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc282 View Post
I don't have a Genius but sounds like you got a lemon. I'd call Wow and send it back.
Sorry about his problem but,"Call Wow and send it back".
Wow only takes emails, I'm sure they will help you out but it will take some patience.
I bet we can straighten this one out.
Mike
shastamike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
thanks for the answers. i just tried it again , niow all aspects seem to work except the elevator servo which is buzzing. I've had this on other models where it affects the whole system. returning the heli isn't really possible as I'm in England, so I'll get a few servos from Buzzflyer in UK as that will only be 1 day in the post.

I'm concerned that you say the stock batteries are useless for the BL version Particularly as I ordered 2 more from WOW with my original order. . . . from WOW who supply the BL version. As I would gladly have bought a shed load of Hyperions or Linear cells if I knew about them at the time,

Thanks, Allan
Sorry you got a bad one out of the box. Mine wouldn't fly either. I had to fix it. Sounds like you have a elevator servo that is stuck. Wow sent out a lot of G CP's with funky servos. When my elevator servo buzzes and won't move I gently try to pull the arm up and down slowly with the battery out. I can feel a broken tooth on a gear and it kind of wants to stick in the position. I just raise it up a bit and then bind and it usually works until i crash it hard indoors. Then it sticks and buzzes again. Walkera servos are a 10 day wait here in US as there are only two suppliers and one of them sold 100 servos in the first day they got them.
Mike
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeh, I hear you about the servos, I'm gonna grab a few in a minute if theyr'e listed in stock at Buzzflyer UK. Do you think a faulty servo could cause the whole system to glitch out like my out of the box observations.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
yeh, I hear you about the servos, I'm gonna grab a few in a minute if theyr'e listed in stock at Buzzflyer UK. Do you think a faulty servo could cause the whole system to glitch out like my out of the box observations.
No..sorry. from what i've experienced the servo would act independently and not cause the whole system problems. I've had other Walkera helis do something like that. I was always lucky I could just rebind and it was fixed. Someone will step up with the right solution for you though.
Fire off an email to Wow Hobbies. Most times it is 2 days before you hear from them, but maybe they will give you a RMA on the heli or at least try to help you out.
You might also try a post on RC Groups if you haven't already. Some good help there also.
Mike
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hello guys, first can I say I love Walkera gear and if my frustration comes across its not due to hating, I simply wish to enjoy what others obviously are.

I received my brushless GCP today, I ordered from WOW even though I'm in Engkand ( better price and specification and no suppliers here when I ordered ), so I have no intention of waiting for an email response and then waiting over a week for parts. I hope to identify the problem with some help and then buy replacements here so I can be in the air before christmas.

first impression as I sip my tea and roll a cigarette is how far forward the Cof G is, to balance the CP the ( stock ) battery is half out of its holder and rubbing on the main gear.

So my first question is, should the battery be pushed fully into its cage and use radio trim ( it is hugely nose heavy ) ? or do WOW fit the brushless ESC in the wrong place and that's affecting it.

I now check its in 3 axis mode , it is. All adjusting pots in the middle so I'll go with that.

lets fix the ID. I assume its the 6 digit number under the canopy that resembles the ID number on all my RX2801's.
I tried that but no luck so I left it on RANDOM to come back to later.

before I bind up I read the manual ( both Walkera and WOW's ) to set my curves and throws as I didnt want to strain the weak servos I've been reading about.
First bind just gives me flashing red LED, this doesnt worry me and i simply try again. this time I get a green light and the servos go to full right and full forward with no cyclic response.

I unplug the battery and turn off to repeat the auto bind. This time I get green LED and level swashplate. All servos respond correctly as do the gyros so lets take her up.
before I lift off the heli goes full negative pitch and the swash tilts as before. The throttle also pulses up and down. It now sits shaking its servos randomly, occasionally with flashing red LED.

I'm using the 2801 TX, WOW brushless conversion and stock 200 mah lipo.

Some help identifying whats going on would be appreciated as I wanna get in the air.
Are you sure your batteries are fully charged (just in case?)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

yes the batteries are charged lol, the funny thing is the symptoms led me to double check that first off, but lipos come half charged so that wouldn't be the issue here. I've just ordered some servo's, should have them saturday. I also ordered a stock main motor so I can make my own comparison. It was cheap enough, as was the new tail rotor to replace the one that randomly split in 2 and flew off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in