Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 450 Class Electric Helicopters > 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters

450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters 450 PRO Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Folding Main Blades for measuring Zero Pitch???

i try to find xero pitch at midstick...

one way is to fold the blades and see if they are at the same level at midstick..is this the right way ???

because when i find zero pitch at midstick with my pitch gauge and then fold the blades to double check i notice that they are not in line..

so which is the right way???
angeliak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Folding the blades should be more accurate because any slight error is amplified by the length of the blades. Do the check with the blades folded forward then turn them around in the grips to point back and repeat the test, this eliminates any tolerance in the blade itself.

The digital pitch gauge I have fluctuates up and down by a few tenths of a degree, so it's impossible to achieve the same accuracy.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You are correct ... they should be in line. However, just because they are in line does not mean they are at zero pitch. To guarantee this I compare the blade to a distant horizontal object (horizon, railing .... whatever). Using this method I get blades that are not only very accurately at zero, but more importantly, it gives great blade tracking accuracy
744drv is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dropping a 2.5mm or 3mm hex driver through the blade grip holes and aligning with the main shaft will get you really close too.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDyne View Post
Dropping a 2.5mm or 3mm hex driver through the blade grip holes and aligning with the main shaft will get you really close too.

This is how I do mine, it's simple and works well.
CrashNburn420 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 744drv View Post
You are correct ... they should be in line. However, just because they are in line does not mean they are at zero pitch.
I'm pretty sure it does, as long as you have your tracking correct.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would go with a hex driver through the grip. Moving the servos through positive and negative ranges with the hex driver on average being aligned with the shaft moving back to neutral input will indicate quite a good neutral setup. With the blades to the side of the grips, play from swashplate/links/servos is likely going to get in the way.

Still, I usually just make sure tracking is good and hover the heli both uprigh and inverted. If I give nearly the same input on my TX (going from positive to negative), then it must be pretty centered.
Sefrez is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2014, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
I'm pretty sure it does, as long as you have your tracking correct.
Not if your swash isn't level. One blade could be at +5 one at -5 and when both folded the same direction they will be even with each other.

I level the swash, set zero pitch with a hex driver through the bolt hole. Then put the blades on and fold them, make any slight adjustments still necessary to get them level. Then straighten the blades, line them up with the boom and put my digital pitch gauge on the front one, and zero. Remove it, rotate the other blade forward and check pitch. If it's off, adjust it.

If you made adjustments to tracking then fold the blades and REDO the zero pitch check.

But...Im anal about my setups. I've never had to adjust tracking or anything using this method. One thing to remember, your digital pitch gauge is probably +/- 0.1 degrees. For our purposes any blade within .2° of the other can be considered identical. No point in chasing that thing to perfect zero each time
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just use SOKO Tool Kit! AMAZING!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEORITY View Post
+1

The Soko app is amazing!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
MyRCode is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEORITY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRCode View Post
+1

The Soko app is amazing!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
+1 on both. I love my Soko gauge and helical. Add the Soko Toolbox app, and there's nothing better. Though I still use a swash leveler tool for initial servo to swash setup sometimes before I put the head on. Especially if I am using an FBL controller that adjusts for interactions at high and low stick.

Then the Hex driver through the grip, and finally the Soko tool to get things dialed in.

If my blade tracking isn't spot on after that, it's usually so close it doesn't matter.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Check this out

Ok alighned the blades to get them together at same hight... Looked at swash plate and right side is lower than left... You can see with the eyes... ok now what????? do I have a bad way off POS???
Tommyvess is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should set your head up from the servos up. Meaning 90 your servos, level you swash then zero your pitch. All of this should be done at midstick. If at any point the swash isnt level you should correct this first then mess w the pitch links to zero the blades. Then you can fold them back to see if they are level w eachother. If they are off by a small amount and your fbl unit has a collective trim selection. Just give a click or to in the direction needed to align the blades.

Hope this helps

(I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.)
alyon187 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Level your swash plate first...
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in