Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
navyflier
Registered Users

Default Building my 500 what do I need?

Okay, my 500 is sitting under the tree waiting patiently for me to build her. As Christmas approaches and I have some time to get a few extra things, can anyone think of something I may want to upgrade right away? I mean has anyone crashed and said "I wish I had ___ and maybe the damage wouldn't have been so bad" or The build would have been easier with _____" I've read a lot of the threads, but just wondering what a few of you experienced 500 builders out there recommend.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Mike66
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My 500CF is still in kit form (since this summer)...but I will tackle it this winter. In the mean time, I bought these items for the installation:

Screw kit from RCScrewz: http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...ac8cdbcfbdf465

ABEC-5 Bearing kit from RCScrewz: http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...ac8cdbcfbdf465

Battery and Gyro tray from RDLohr: http://www.wavelandps.com/clearly/products.htm

"The Greaser" from ReadyHeli (for the bearings): http://www.readyheli.com/The_Greaser...thegreaser.htm

Edit: I forgot about these parts:

Microheli bottom frame: http://store.rcsupersales.net/servle...m-Frame/Detail

CNC main shaft bearing blocks: http://store.rcsupersales.net/servle...Bearing/Detail
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
bjkv
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflier View Post
Okay, my 500 is sitting under the tree waiting patiently for me to build her. As Christmas approaches and I have some time to get a few extra things, can anyone think of something I may want to upgrade right away? I mean has anyone crashed and said "I wish I had ___ and maybe the damage wouldn't have been so bad" or The build would have been easier with _____" I've read a lot of the threads, but just wondering what a few of you experienced 500 builders out there recommend.
Apart from good tools, nothing. You really don't need to upgrade anything right away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bjkv is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
zaboaa
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyflier View Post
The only thing I upgraded was the metal parts from align, but you really don't need them. I would say the align heavy duty velcro battery straps and the align carbon tail rotor blades would be the only things I would consider musts, you can do the other stuff (bearings etc) as they wear out. If you are a solid flier then maybe the torque tube, I really like that upgrade. But again you might wait until you crash/destroy the belt one. Also, since you're building it I would go ahead and do the battery tray mod, it's easy to do. It makes the canopy go on easier and you won't have to worry about the size of the battery. Plus you will probably want to get the Outrage 3000 (a great battery for this heli, it fits without the mod but it's very tight). It will also give you the option of the 3300's if you want....

BTW I've been flying for the Navy the last 20 years. A-6 driver 92-9, F/A18 95-99, T-45 2003-present (reserve job, Kingsville). What are you driving?

Mark
(zabo)
zaboaa is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
jvthert
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If I would have to start from scratch I would buy the RCSkrewz again. My buddy built his Rex without them and got pretty frustrated. He's now using some of the extra skrews that came with my RCSkrewz kit. Get them and forget about buying Align screwdrivers. Those are only curing symptoms and even with them the stock skrews will fail on you.\

Apart from the skrews it should fly very well the way it comes out of the box
jvthert is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #6
navyflier
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Thanks!

Great advice guys, thanks. Looks like the screws might be a good idea and definitely all about the heavy duty velcro. Glad to see that most think it's good to go out of the box. I will be doing the battery mod since I'll be thinking about 3300 packs.
Mark,
Kingsville. Been there a few times. A lot of my buddies got winged out there. Sounds like you've got a good gig, you are a better man than I. I remember what I was like as a student! For me.... T-34s, TH-57s, SH-60s. Gave all that up after 9/11 to be a 1630.

Thanks again everyone. Can't wait to get her built and flying. Until then, more sim time!

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 500 Class Electric Helicopters

500 Class Electric Helicopters 500 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.