Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400


Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default more efite or maybe hitec woes

All right I am distgusted. Not completely pissed but pretty low point with my tolerance of this heli. Maybe I'm outgrowing it.
Not sure. I was out flying on my lunch break. My Cyclic is rocking now. Flips are fast and my roll rate is awesome! Maybe too awesome? Been using the HS-55's for about a month now. I had a long series of crashes from not being in the right flight mode and doing flips or rolls and crashing cause I was in Normal mode. Not doing that anymore cause I pretty much don't have a flyable normal mode now. After having a long series of crashes like that you tend to bring it down a level. Those crashes were completely my fault. So the last couple of weeks I have been slowly getting back to my original flying level.
Anyway I am on my second pack and I'm flying around on my lunch break. Do a roll. Go to do another and I give it a little too much negative. The blade 400 rolls very fast now.
As I exit the roll I lose my cyclic control. Almost like something broke. I crash into the grass. Flybar and blades are toast.
Boom seems good. Main gear shot. My fault. All the servos seem fine at first but I notice the left side servo is missing some teeth. Maybe 5 or 6 teeth.
Now I'm wondering if I stripped a servo in flight. I was using the 9 gram Tower Pro servos but ran out of them in my last setup and went back to the HS-55's. The 9 gram Tower pro servos gears seem alot more heavy duty than the HS-55's. But they don't fit very well.
Is it possible I stripped a servo in flight? I know it can happen in the stock servos. I consider myself a sport flyer.
I was always hesitant to do metal gear servos cause I thought they would add more weight to this heli. I like to keep it light.
Is there a point where it is a must to upgrade to carbon or metal gear servos because you are putting the heli under more of a load?
I have been thinking about moving up to a bigger or more quality electric heli. Especialy since I started flying a 30 size nitro heli. I wouldn't want to get something I couldn't fly at a soccer field or baseball diamond.
Mike
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
All right I am distgusted. Not completely pissed but pretty low point with my tolerance of this heli. Maybe I'm outgrowing it.
Not sure. I was out flying on my lunch break. My Cyclic is rocking now. Flips are fast and my roll rate is awesome! Maybe too awesome? Been using the HS-55's for about a month now. I had a long series of crashes from not being in the right flight mode and doing flips or rolls and crashing cause I was in Normal mode. Not doing that anymore cause I pretty much don't have a flyable normal mode now. After having a long series of crashes like that you tend to bring it down a level. Those crashes were completely my fault. So the last couple of weeks I have been slowly getting back to my original flying level.
Anyway I am on my second pack and I'm flying around on my lunch break. Do a roll. Go to do another and I give it a little too much negative. The blade 400 rolls very fast now.
As I exit the roll I lose my cyclic control. Almost like something broke. I crash into the grass. Flybar and blades are toast.
Boom seems good. Main gear shot. My fault. All the servos seem fine at first but I notice the left side servo is missing some teeth. Maybe 5 or 6 teeth.
Now I'm wondering if I stripped a servo in flight. I was using the 9 gram Tower Pro servos but ran out of them in my last setup and went back to the HS-55's. The 9 gram Tower pro servos gears seem alot more heavy duty than the HS-55's. But they don't fit very well.
Is it possible I stripped a servo in flight? I know it can happen in the stock servos. I consider myself a sport flyer.
I was always hesitant to do metal gear servos cause I thought they would add more weight to this heli. I like to keep it light.
Is there a point where it is a must to upgrade to carbon or metal gear servos because you are putting the heli under more of a load?
I have been thinking about moving up to a bigger or more quality electric heli. Especialy since I started flying a 30 size nitro heli. I wouldn't want to get something I couldn't fly at a soccer field or baseball diamond.
Mike


dude if you crash it your gonnna break SOMETHING.....if you want something you can crash and not have to fix....get a f'in tank!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

Dude did you even read my post?
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

.........
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
Slyster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 37,999
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maplewood, MN
Default

Aren't HS55's a litle wimpy? Go with HS65MG's all around the cyclic!
__________________
"It's not just a hobby... it's a lifestyle" - Pete Team Outrage.
Goblin 500 + 700 / O550 / Blade 130x + MCPX BL / SK540 / Jive / DX8 / Quantum / RJX / 4010Duo
Slyster is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Dude did you even read my post?
i did....and ive been using the identical servos flying in near exact same fashin as you and ive never eve once cosidered one stripping....unless it one one that was made a decade ago...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster View Post
Aren't HS55's a litle wimpy? Go with HS65MG's all around the cyclic!

ive been using the smae srvos for months without any complaints or problems....and if im not mistaken so has jasmine....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

These servos were maybe a couple months old. Maybe I just had a bad one.
I wonder if I should keep using them...?
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Dude did you even read my post?

you said it was the left servo...if im not mistaken inst the left servo for pitch?...so if you lost cyclic control(not collective) the prob would lie with the elevator or aileron servo would it not?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
These servos were maybe a couple months old. Maybe I just had a bad one.
I wonder if I should keep using them...?

its possible but a good rule of thumb with electronics is that if it works the first time itll work everytime....now thats not to say it cant happen after use...i had the logictech gyro fail on me for no apparent reason after sitting for two weeks...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade~400~er View Post
you said it was the left servo...if im not mistaken inst the left servo for pitch?...so if you lost cyclic control(not collective) the prob would lie with the elevator or aileron servo would it not?
Yes it was the cyclic servo.

Well since it is CCPM.

All the servos control collective. All the servos control cyclic.

So if you have one of the back servos fail then you would lose collective and cylic control.

All the servos work in combination to conrol ALE ELE and Pitch.

Now if it was a Mechanical Mixing Head like a Shogun then if I had a single servo go bad like collective then I would just lose collective.
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

Oh Wait is this BladeCX2Runner?
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Slyster
Registered Users
 
Posts: 37,999
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maplewood, MN
Default

lol!
__________________
"It's not just a hobby... it's a lifestyle" - Pete Team Outrage.
Goblin 500 + 700 / O550 / Blade 130x + MCPX BL / SK540 / Jive / DX8 / Quantum / RJX / 4010Duo
Slyster is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #14
maarset
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,142
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rocklin, Ca
Default

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any HS55 gear failures in a Blade 400 doing any aerobatics.
Or any other 450 size heli. Or was this a fluke?
Heck, maybe I got a glitch or my RX lost connection for a moment. And it just happened to do this when I was doing a roll.

Last edited by maarset; 01-09-2009 at 05:40 PM..
maarset is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Yes it was the cyclic servo.

Well since it is CCPM.

All the servos control collective. All the servos control cyclic.

So if you have one of the back servos fail then you would lose collective and cylic control.

All the servos work in combination to conrol ALE ELE and Pitch.

Now if it was a Mechanical Mixing Head like a Shogun then if I had a single servo go bad like collective then I would just lose collective.
youd still have aileron and elevator control...i was just curious fro purposes of diagnosis wether you lost all control or just the ability to correctly change pitch...i know a crash is inevitable either way becasue the whole system is screwed but again i was just curious to see if ti was a mechanical or elctrical problem....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #16
Blade~400~er
Registered Users
 
Posts: 4,297
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond,VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset View Post
Oh Wait is this BladeCX2Runner?

you and sly aint the only two post both here and RCG.........thought i was comical that you made an identical post today in the B400 forum on RGG...lol....been guilty of that myself on more than one occasion...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| TREX-500 SUPERCOMBO|
| BLADE-400 | MD500D Fuselage w/ Lights |
| TREX-450-SE/V2 |Align 3GX|Fusuno MD500E Fuselage|5 blade|
Blade~400~er is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #17
xspare
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,612
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax, NS
Default

maarset,

1. The following T-Rex 450 thread contains a lot of interesting posts along the lines of the gripes you're attributing to the Blade 400: including accusations of in flight stripping on Karbonite gears, notoriety of HS-55 servos. It could be a worthwhile read for you.
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=46691
2. HS-65MGs (or equivalent) seem pretty bullet-proof and are only 2.9 grams heavier than the HS-55s you've been flying.

3. Check the specs for the Hyperion HP-DS09AMD. Except for having metal gears and twice the torque, you could call it a programmable digital HS-55.

4. Is there a chance that a worn linkage or stress fracture (grips/ball links) might have caused the crash, so that the gears might have stripped on impact?
__________________

xspare is offline        Reply With Quote
Reply




Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 400


Blade 400 Blade Helicopters (eFlite) 400 Helicopters

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Copyright © 2004-2011 - William James - Helifreak.com