START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects

Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Darthdrk
Registered Users

Default 450 size Blue thunder /SA341Gazelle project

Recently broke ground on another scale fuselage(Actually two). Its progressing along pretty good at the moment. Still got quite a bit of work to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0428.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	85143  
Darthdrk is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
ben1101
Registered Users

Wa-Hoo!

You have nailed it once again! Well done!

Ben
ben1101 is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
sidneyw
Registered Users

Ed, watch out for the normal tail gyro location. What do we see the final product?
sidneyw is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Darthdrk
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My approach to scaling helicoprters now is to measure the distance between the mainshaft and the Tr Shaft since this is the most critical measurement. The average distance between the two points is about 17 1/4 inches for the 450 size heli. Once that distance is achieved of the mast and TR shaft of the proposed heli scale up, the rest of the fuselage follows suit. There may have to be a little modding required for the chassis. Some things may have to be relocated. I think this will work best instead of panning and stretching the body. Im trying to make all my scales proportional to the real thing. Im using one of my Belt CPs and at the moment it will fit perfectly . The Gyro will stick out of the fuselage between the transmission and the engine if left in the stock location, but I dont think it will detract from the finished product . The moulding and shaping process is going pretty good. Im working on the 341 rear engine cowling today. Still a ways to go but I think this is going to be a nice rig(s) when I get it done.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
Hoverup
Registered Users

My favorite Blue Thunder heli in a smaller size at last. Thank you DarthDrk. You are the man.
Hoverup is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Hoverup
Registered Users

DarthDrk, a long time personal heli friend of mine, just keeps bringing newer and more wonderful, affordable and unique model fuselages for smaller helis (Robbe Eolo and down in size). I have known him since he first opened his shop several years back and the scale wrappers that this guy creates without the aid of CADCAM just continue to impress.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy one of the first, if not the first, new 450 size Blue Thunder models from Ed. I will not be doing a step by step build review here on RCG as my work stations in my shop are currently slammed with four other review projects. In addition to this I sprung for a BT that was mostly assembled by DarthDrk and he did a magnificent job. I should tell you that I plagued Ed for the past 2 to 3 years to do this heli and was a PITA , but Ed took the challenge and I am sure you will love the result.

I will tell you that this is one of the nicest kits you will buy of a very unique Hollywood movie chopper. The Blue Thunder has been and remains one of my favorite helis. I have a 1/6 scale BT built by Jack Dunkle of JMDModels carried around by a T-Rex 600 with a three blade head and a hand-made, one of a kind fenestron. My DarthDrk model in the 450 size will also be fitted out with a three blade head, but a GWS EDF T/R. Once I have it completed and some video of it flying, I'll be back to share the finished model. Hope I have whet your appetite, 'cuz you are really going to like this one.

Thanks and props to you Ed for a job well done.

BTW, sorry for the blackout areas on the pics. I had other things there that are not yet releasable to the public in the background.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 001.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	89524   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 002.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	89525   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	89526   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 004.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	89527   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 005.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	89528  

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 006.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	89529   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 007.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	89530   Click image for larger version

Name:	450 darthdrk blue thunder 008.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	89531  
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Darthdrk
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yep you got the initial first production model. I have the protype(The only two out there right now). Im building two In my spare time They are almost done. I plan on completely building these two and painting them. What to do with them after that is yet to be seen
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
wingtip
Registered Users

I have a 1/6 scale BT built by Jack Dunkle of JMDModels carried around by a T-Rex 600

You sure its 1/6th and flown by a Trex600? our new one is 1/7th and its 84 inches long and weighs around 11 lbs empty!... 1/6th would be enormous and more close to the cinescale gazelle version i'd think...
I'd like to see some pics of that model, sounds great!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Hoverup
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtip View Post
I have a 1/6 scale BT built by Jack Dunkle of JMDModels carried around by a T-Rex 600

You sure its 1/6th and flown by a Trex600? our new one is 1/7th and its 84 inches long and weighs around 11 lbs empty!... 1/6th would be enormous and more close to the cinescale gazelle version i'd think...
I'd like to see some pics of that model, sounds great!

Could be wrong on the scale Dave. I have been quoting the fuselage source from Australia and have never measured the fuse to check. Do you have the Gazelle LOA?

I have two 12" pilot and JAFA figures on board and they look perfect in the green house on my BT.

Pics in your thread here: http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=121662

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters

Scale Helicopters Discussions About Scale Helis, compatibility and and projects