Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect
START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Old 06-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Lepton Build Videos Are Here

This is where the Lepton build videos will be posted.

ALL LEPTON BUILDERS:
I believe that the Hirobo addendum sheet that comes with balls for the blade grips is incorrect! I notice binding if you dont change which ball goes where on the seesaw mixer arms.

Update! I just talked to Jeff Green. He pointed out I had my washout backwards which I have now fixed (dang cant believe I made that mistake!), and we discussed the issue. He and many others have been flying per the addendum no problem. While I still believe this to be an issue Jeff asked me to please try it stock first then decide. I agreed to do so as this is a reasonable request!
Here is a video explaining the pros and cons of the mod and my discussion with Jeff Green:

VIDEO -> Discussion with MRC of Pro's and Cons of my mod

Here is video explaining the issue:
Head linkage binding issue]
VIDEO -> LINK ISSUE

OK, Here is my mod which I think solves what I consider an issue. Please watch the above video about my conversation with Jeff and then you decided at this point weither to use this mod or not.
Head linkage binding issue - My Modification
VIDEO -> LINK ISSUE - My Modification

On with the build videos:
VIDEO -> Kit Contents Overview (12 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 1 - Bell Cranks (18 Megs)

Step2 - WOW this is a VERY large step so it is broken into 2 parts:
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 2-1 Part 1 (47 Megs)
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 2-1 Part 2 (37 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 2-2 (24 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 3 - Landing gear and plates (12 Megs)

I forgot to do this in step 3 video
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 3a - Elevator assembly (8 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 4 - Tail case assembly (14 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 5 - Tail hub and grips (10 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 6 & 7 - Slider and final tail build (12 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 8 & 9 - Boom and supports (10 Megs)

Please note I am skipping steps 10 through 14 as I do not want to mount the boom or electronics yet for video purposes. Step 15 will be next and later I will come back to these steps.

Note: I highly reccomend disassembly! See video as to why!
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 15 & 16 - Head Assemply and IMPORTANT Info (10 Megs)

Important: see note above as the below video shows implementing the addendum sheet and I believe there are problems.
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 17 - Seesaw and mixer arms (16 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 18 & 19 - Flybar cage and paddles (some good build tips!) (40 Megs)

Motor mount is needed after this!
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 22 PARTIAL (20 Megs)

Please note: after seeing 2 of these it is clear motor mounting needs to be looked at far before assembling the boom, main shaft, main gear, etc due to access to the motor screws and pinion. At this point I will not be following the manuals step order because of this. I will come back and cover all steps.

Mount the motor now or be sorry!
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 33 mounting the motor NOW (40 Megs)

Note: There is a TIP about a mod to the swash plate that I think is needed!
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 24 - Installing Swash, Washout, and Head (15 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 25 - Head Linkages (18 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Step 12 - Cyclic Servo Installation (15 Megs)

Note: I forgot to mention MAKE SURE that your throttle stick is at center when choosing and setting your servo wheels for center!
VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 26,27,.28 - Servo Linkages (42 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build Steps 30&31 - Head Linkage setup (32 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build - Tuning out CCPM interactions (23 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build - Step 11 mounting the tail servo (9 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build - Electronics Placement (32 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build - Steps 22&23 mouting the tail (25 Megs)

VIDEO -> Lepton Build - Step 29 - Setting up the Tail servo and Gyro (25 Megs)

That's it folks! I hope you enjoyed this series. I may do a canopy trimming video and for sure will do a flying / trimming video this weekend

Below are the test flights. First one is my heli on 4S and second one is Jack726's heli on 3S (2 APEX 2100 packs). I also show ending flight pack, ESC, and motor temps. On monday I plan to shoot some test flight vids of hard 3D by a pilot that can fly much better than me.....

This was the VERY first flight other than a few test hovers. This is my Lepton on 3700ma 4S, Hyperion 10 turn motor. You will see I still have to work on my T-curves and I had more positive pitch than negative as you will see in inverted hover the head RPM was higher. All that is fixed now so Monday I will have more test vids along with some hard 3D from someone that co fly much better than I. I enjoyed the fact the VERY FIRST flight I was able to have some fun right off the bat. As I get the machine dialed in it will just get better and I think this is going to be a fun little heli.
VIDEO -> Finless first test flight of 4S setup (42 Megs)

OK this is Helifreak user Jack726's Lepton on 3S (2 Apex 2100 packs) Hyperion 8 turn motor. After having some experience setting mine up, we tweaked his and got his curves set and I did his first test flight other than some hover and RPM checks. As you can see this is a FUN bird even on 3S. I was suprised and impressed with this set up even after flying mine on 4S. So you all know on my 4S and his 3S we set the curves for 2600 head RPM.
VIDEO -> Finless first test flight on Jack726 3S setup (42 Megs)

NEW
My 4S Lepton EX getting hammered around by a PRO.

Inverted auto too!
VIDEO -> My Lepton Ex getting hammered around

Enjoy,
Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finless is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
rdlohr
HF Support

My HF Map location

You got it! Cool!

My products, flown by top pilots around the world, like you!

rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
supertrex2
Registered Users

ohh... so thats what youve been doing bob...

My lepton suppose to be arriving .... 17 hrs from now lol.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Finless
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Awesome! This will be the most complete build series I have ever done!

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
supertrex2
Registered Users

So Bob, what will be your motor, ESC. servos gyro for this lepton?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #6
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

You will have to WAIT and see

My Announcement video in the Lepton forum explains what I will be doing or at least gives a hint!

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Just posted step 2 (step 2-1 in the manual).
I had to break it into 2 video parts or the single video would have been 100 meg!

Wow this a a very large step all in one page. I am pretty sure I covered everything and i hope this helps new people get through it!

Please let me know what you think! Too much detail etc?

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
supertrex2
Registered Users

Bob, what kind of Video camera do you use?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

It;s a JVC Mini DV model GR-D290u

Dont judge the quality of the downloaded videos as they are HIGHLY compressed. The DVI quality is really good from the camera.

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK just posted step 2-2 of the build process

ENJOY,
Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #11
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Step 3 has been posted.... Moving along nicely!

This is a really fun build.

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Rockohaulic
Registered Users

Hey Finless - You got your toy before me! What's up with that?? My audio must be off a bit because I didn't hear that kid in a candystore enthusiasm when openning your heli box in the Kits Contents Overview!!! Muahahahahahahaha

Anyway, you asked for feedback on detail. Your detail is perfect! For example, I just finished watching Step 2-1 where you explained where the open face of the bearing blocks would be. The best part of that is when you said WHY it should be like that. Once I know why, then I am less likely to make a mistake.

Thanks for the all your effort in the videos!!
Rockohaulic is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:48 PM   #13
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Hey Rock...... I got mine first becasue I was number one on the list when they first came out and I told them I was doing a build video ASAP.

I guess there are some fringe benifits to doing videos
I am GLAD you are enjoying them

Anyway I just posted steps 5 through 9.

Bob

Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #14
Rockohaulic
Registered Users

Finless,

You are so busy building and pumping out videos that you accidentally posted step 4 video again for step 8&9 video! Oooops!

Enjoying the videos!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #15
Rockohaulic
Registered Users

Finless - You have already built the tail assembly and you went with the stock tail blades.

I read that they are too small for the Lepton. Are you going to try the stock blades in flight before upgrading to larger ones if they are deemed necessary??

Rockohaulic
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
Gus
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob,
Steps 8 & 9 appear to actually be step 4.
Gus...
Aircraft: Heli: Synergy E5s (VX1n), Beam E4 se FB & FBL (VX1e), T-Rex 250se (VX1e), Quads: Armattan CF-226 & CF-258, MX400s, QR LB (DSM2) & QR LB (V1), SK SlowHawk 2, Park Hawk 4, Carbon Falcon Wing. Xmitr: Devo 12s (Deviation).
Gus is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #17
WillJames
HF Support

My HF Map location

Fixed Gus, Bob is out to eat right now. Thank you for bringing it to Bob's attention.

If you fly you are going to crash.
Not again!!!
WillJames is offline        Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 PM   #18
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockohaulic
Finless - You have already built the tail assembly and you went with the stock tail blades.

I read that they are too small for the Lepton. Are you going to try the stock blades in flight before upgrading to larger ones if they are deemed necessary??

Rockohaulic
It's all the blades I have right now and yes I am aware of the tail blade complaint. I am building it STOCK and later as I get to know the heli I will post mods, enhancements, etc.

Quote:
Fixed Gus, Bob is out to eat right now. Thank you for bringing it to Bob's attention.
Thanks for fixing this Will.

Bob

Old 06-23-2006, 03:06 AM   #19
supertrex2
Registered Users

What? we need to change the Stock tail? For a bigger one? What size?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
Finless
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

I just posted Steps 15 & 16.
I highly reccomend disassembly of the head as I found some trouble. e.g. no grease on a thurst bearing and some screws didnt have locktite.

Bob

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos